Gravel / Adventure bikes, nothing new ?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
mercalia

Re: Gravel / Adventure bikes, nothing new ?

Post by mercalia »

Si wrote:
reohn2 wrote:
Si wrote:

thats what i was comparing the gravel bike to in my initial review. The new gravel bike seemed more willing than my 1-down on the gravelly, sandy, rough farm roads i tried both on.

The 700c wheels have something to do with that IMO

quite so. Although it's also beeter than my 700c hybrid.

Thinking about it , the first time i saw wide spread gravel biking, even if it wasnt called that, was on the HONC afew yearsback when a load of people didnt bother with mtbs but used cx bikes instead. It is lightish offroad linked by lots of country lanes and the cx bikers seemed to do very well. Could have done it on a tourer if you'd changed the tyres, taken the guards off and wherent bothered about being able to stop on the big wet downhills.

Anyway, give it a couple of years and there wont be any more "gravel bikes", rather you'll have to choose from xc gravel, full sus gravel, all-gravel, adventure gravel, sportif gravel, singlespeed gravel, bikepacking gravel, etc etc bikes.

you missed one very important one the elec gravel ( pedelec ) then the 2 motor elec gravel plus ( rear and front - yes there is a guy in London who does them to order ), then for really demanding terrains the 3 motor elec gravel wilderness - front/rear and bottom bracket with the batteries in a trailer