Near miss with a pedestrian

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: Near miss with a pedestrian

Post by Mick F »

Incident yesterday morning, riding into Tavistock here with me riding in this direction:
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.54950 ... 312!8i6656
An elderly lady - mid/late 80s? - with a walking stick, came out from the right between parked cars.
I saw her as she emerged and watched whilst braking to slow because I could see what was happening.

She came out into the middle of the road, stopped, looked round, took another single step, looked round again ................ and paid no attention whatsoever to me or any of the traffic.

I went very slowly past her at about walking pace and turned to her as I passed her, and said very gently and calmly, "You didn't look at the traffic at all. Please be careful". Wether she paid any heed to me, I don't know. She appeared quite vague.
Mick F. Cornwall
Phil Fouracre

Post by Phil Fouracre »

This is really the nub of the 'problem'! Nobody knows who they are 'interacting' with when they travel on the road. You've come across a confused old lady, requiring a completely different response to, say, a ranting 'road rager'!
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Indeed.

Eyes and ears open, and never ever ever get upset and angry. Being on the road requires teamwork and respect ............ though it is difficult.
Mick F. Cornwall
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

fastpedaller wrote:In country lanes there are often signs warning of deer ........

Sorry for being pedantic. :oops:
This one?
Screen Shot 2018-04-29 at 07.36.08.png
Screen Shot 2018-04-29 at 07.36.08.png (35.48 KiB) Viewed 573 times
This is the warning sign for wild animals, not just deer.