Pothole causes facial injuries

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
mjr

Re: Pothole causes facial injuries

Post by mjr »

fastpedaller wrote:
Mr Evil wrote:After the snow earlier this year, many potholes of that size appeared around here in just a few days.

If you're aware of that, then the Councils should be - and inspect the roads (I don't believe they inspect them in Norfolk).

Norfolk claims to, but you might be horrified by the low frequency of it.

Anyway, it didn't snow last week in Milton Keynes else my friends there would have sent me pictures!
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

mjr wrote:

I suspect on some of the roads it's once every 5 years - but if you try to claim off them they say they've checked it yesterday!
I don't think they know the concept of truth. :(
rjb

Post by rjb »

Some time ago maybe 10 years I made an unsuccessful claim against Somerset county council for damage caused to wheels from an unseen pothole. The pothole was on a wet road and was all but invisible as it was filled with water up to road level. The local citizens advice took the case on for me but had to give in. The council records showed that it was ok at the last inspection and nothing had been reported to them since. The inspection frequency was every 12 months :shock:
This was on a minor road designated by the council as a cycle route. :roll: what hope for cyclists!
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

rjb wrote:Some time ago maybe 10 years I made an unsuccessful claim against Somerset county council for damage caused to wheels from an unseen pothole. The pothole was on a wet road and was all but invisible as it was filled with water up to road level. The local citizens advice took the case on for me but had to give in. The council records showed that it was ok at the last inspection and nothing had been reported to them since. The inspection frequency was every 12 months :shock:
This was on a minor road designated by the council as a cycle route. :roll: what hope for cyclists!

The fact that a bad hole was there is proof that their inspection process isn't frequent enough - but logic also seems to escape them.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

fastpedaller wrote: ... The fact that a bad hole was there is proof that their inspection process isn't frequent enough - but logic also seems to escape them.

Pursuing a claim as far as court means disproving the highway authority's special defence. We've had this discussion before with all the links to the legislation but they only need a reasonable inspection regime (my words there.) The expert witnesses on what comes up to the standard will generally be other senior highwaymen.
mjr

Post by mjr »

fastpedaller wrote:
mjr wrote:

I suspect on some of the roads it's once every 5 years - but if you try to claim off them they say they've checked it yesterday!
I don't think they know the concept of truth. :(

Spot on with the 5 years for some roads. :-( (Norfolk Transport Asset Management Plan Appendix D (i) section Roads 4d.) And that's only safety inspections. Surface condition inspections simply aren't done at all for some U and V roads (what's a V road? I think it's a non-tarmac U road...)

I can't comment on the rest, as they didn't try that one when I claimed because they'd only damaged it themselves the same day.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

This is the bit of the HA which provides the special defence. s58(2)(d) has been interpreted to mean that a suitable inspection regime provides the defence unless the defect had been reported.

58 Special defence in action against a highway authority for damages for non-repair of highway.

(1) In an action against a highway authority in respect of damage resulting from their failure to maintain a highway maintainable at the public expense it is a defence (without prejudice to any other defence or the application of the law relating to contributory negligence) to prove that the authority had taken such care as in all the circumstances was reasonably required to secure that the part of the highway to which the action relates was not dangerous for traffic.

(2) For the purposes of a defence under subsection (1) above, the court shall in particular have regard to the following matters:—

(a) the character of the highway, and the traffic which was reasonably to be expected to use it;
(b) the standard of maintenance appropriate for a highway of that character and used by such traffic;
(c) the state of repair in which a reasonable person would have expected to find the highway;
(d) whether the highway authority knew, or could reasonably have been expected to know, that the condition of the part of the highway to which the action relates was likely to cause danger to users of the highway;
(e) where the highway authority could not reasonably have been expected to repair that part of the highway before the cause of action arose, what warning notices of its condition had been displayed;

but for the purposes of such a defence it is not relevant to prove that the highway authority had arranged for a competent person to carry out or supervise the maintenance of the part of the highway to which the action relates unless it is also proved that the authority had given him proper instructions with regard to the maintenance of the highway and that he had carried out the instructions.

(3) This section binds the Crown.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1980/66/part/IV
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

mjr wrote:
Cugel wrote:Since such repairs are provided via a contractual commercial relationship, often by some useless gang of lowest-cost greatest-profit cowboys, why don't councils pursue the cowboys for their (our) money back? If anything else was sold that was so unfit for purpose, we would be down at the trading standards and courts toot-sweet, is it not so? And how long would any other provider of a priced product/service survive if their goods & services were so chronically bad?

Councils don't have the officers to gather the proof or enough money to tie up making it likely they'd win against the much bigger contractors and utilities undertakers. They can't go to their trading standards department for this... which has itself suffered severe cuts in recent years.

Some providers of rubbish carry on for years and years. All it needs is a market for lemons stacked in the seller's favour.

Because the councils know damn well what they are, and are not buying. They are getting exactly what they are paying for - by and large "throw and roll". See here:
http://thenewswheel.com/5-kinds-pothole-repair/

Why are they doing this? Having spent an evening in the company of an Oxfordshire County Councillor earlier this week it's because they have a hole, in fact quite a lot of holes, and insufficient funds to complete a more lasting fix. The numbers for Oxfordshire, which is in a similar state to Bucks, on whose border I live are:

Current cost to remedy known road faults: £150m
Current budget: £68m
Extra funds committed: £3.8m
Shortfall: £78m

There has been 3x the normal degradation of the roads this winter due to its severity, and in particular freeze-thaw acting on the patches that have been done previously.

They've just bought another of these to try to speed things up, and effect better quality repairs, first time:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJI6S_UHmfc
mjr

Post by mjr »

thirdcrank wrote:This is the bit of the HA which provides the special defence. s58(2)(d) has been interpreted to mean that a suitable inspection regime provides the defence unless the defect had been reported.

What's regarded as suitable though? Has once every 5 years been accepted by the courts as reasonable/suitable for some cycle routes?

(Although that applies to some, most cycleways in Norfolk are inspected at least 6-monthly but even that seems a bit dodgy/negligent IMO.)

Anyway, let this be a lesson: report as much as you reasonably can. Ideally, you'll save someone a nasty injury, but at worst you should help them recover the costs.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

mjr wrote:
thirdcrank wrote:This is the bit of the HA which provides the special defence. s58(2)(d) has been interpreted to mean that a suitable inspection regime provides the defence unless the defect had been reported.

What's regarded as suitable though? Has once every 5 years been accepted by the courts as reasonable/suitable for some cycle routes?

(Although that applies to some, most cycleways in Norfolk are inspected at least 6-monthly but even that seems a bit dodgy/negligent IMO.)

Anyway, let this be a lesson: report as much as you reasonably can. Ideally, you'll save someone a nasty injury, but at worst you should help them recover the costs.

cf "Fix My Street" app - the sheer numbers of reported defects visible are shocking, at least in our area. :?
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Over the years, we've had various links posted to reports of pothole compo judgments, including some on Martin Porter's blog, some elsewhere. It's always possible that these have been overturned on appeal or affected by a subsequent judgment, but one that sticks in my mind was a ruling that budgetary constraints were not an excuse for not dealing with a defect once the highway authority had become aware. I'm pretty sure that involved a female rider in York, although, IIRC contributory negligence reared its ugly head because the compo was reduced because the rider did not look where she was going.

This emphasis the value of reporting through a publicly accessible channel so it's possible for anybody injured later to check if the defect had been reported; it's sometimes been suggested that highway authorities are not always 100% frank about acknowledging prior knowledge.
===================================================================================
PS

I've done a bit of digging and I have found the law report for Wilkinson v City of York Council. As usual with law reports there's a lot to go at but my reading is that there was a pothole on a road which national guidelines suggested needed quarterly inspections, but which was only inspected annually because of financial constraints. The complainant won, subject to a reduction for contributory negligence, using the fast track procedure; that was overturned on appeal to the County Court but the Court of Appeal ruled in the cyclist's favour on the interpretation of the s58 Special Defence which I linked above. ie, The highway authority hadn't got a defence. Well worth reading for anybody with the stamina.
http://www.bailii.org/ew/cases/EWCA/Civ/2011/207.html

One sad aspect is £££ being wasted on paying lerarned friends rather than road menders. :(
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

I think I may well contact my MP to ask whether he can put the question "What plan is in place to rectify the situation regarding road maintenance - the following is a quote from EDP (Eastern Daily Press) from 2008:-
East Anglia's roads are in a worse state than they were 10 years ago, according to AA members questioned in a new survey.
And If a similar survey is put in place today, I'm confident the situation is even worse (defect reported data must be available)"
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I see that Norfolk has nine MP's of which seven C, one Lab and one Lib-Dem.

The Tories, ie those in government will reply with details of the £Zillions in grants to local authorities which decide how money is best spent. The other two may have something uncomplimentary to say about the government but ten years ago, Labour was in government and between 2010 and 2015, Norman Lamb was a Coalition minister. Road maintenance is a policy area where they really are all the same.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

fastpedaller wrote:I think I may well contact my MP to ask whether he can put the question "What plan is in place to rectify the situation regarding road maintenance - the following is a quote from EDP (Eastern Daily Press) from 2008:-
East Anglia's roads are in a worse state than they were 10 years ago, according to AA members questioned in a new survey.
And If a similar survey is put in place today, I'm confident the situation is even worse (defect reported data must be available)"

No-one can reliably remember how the roads were ten years ago in comparison with now

Seems to me many of the complainers here were just going too fast

Alternative facts welcome
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
ThePinkOne

Post by ThePinkOne »

Mr Evil wrote:
mjr wrote:...Surely that didn't appear in 3 days?..

After the snow earlier this year, many potholes of that size appeared around here in just a few days. The quickest ones were on roads with fields above them, where meltwater ran over the roads continuously for days afterwards. A swirling torrent of water can hollow out a large hole almost overnight.

Which also begs the question about how much changed farming and land use policies affect the roads.

Removal of trees and hedges and practise of intense agriculture is a big problem in terms of soil-loss; trees in particular are very good at soaking up excess rain and the releasing it slowly. Similarly, compacted ground from sheep/cows can increase run-off. It's not so long since some insurance companies seriously considered buying land on catchments of rivers prone to flooding and planting trees as it would have been cheaper than paying claims.

Then there is the ubiquitous paved drive instead of a garden, plus removal of street trees. Around where I live, my front garden is an oasis of green (tree, yew hedges, shrubs with a small original tarmac patch for a car which I will at some point replace with one of those plastic grid porous surfaces) surrounded by brick-paved driveways. few years ago, a company went door-knocking to offer brick-paved driveways at a "special price when we are in the area." Many of the locals succumbed to the hard sales promising increased house value and reduced maintenance, in many cases they paved both back and front! (Then the moan that bird population has dropped and blame cats/crows/magpies etc).

So I've some sympathy for the local Highways Authorities, as they face a triple-whammy of: more heavy vehicles (not just HGVs but lots of SUVs)- remembering that the damage increase is proportional to the square of axle weight, more water run-off, plus much less funding.

If I were in charge ( :wink: ) I would start by having a "paved driveway/garden" tax on a square-meter basis (anything over the footprint of one very small car/a decent bike-shed would incur a charge as would parking on a road or pavement), rebates for garden and street trees, an agricultural policy that penalised removal of trees/hedges and rewarded planting trees/hedges to help hold back water and preserve soil, and tax road vehicles by the level of damage they cause. That way, when the highways authorities do repair the road, there's a fighting chance of it remaining in decent nick.

TPO