South Gloucestershire Cycle infra, dangers ....

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
The utility cyclist

South Gloucestershire Cycle infra, dangers ....

Post by The utility cyclist »

This was posted up on Road CC a couple of day ago, it highlights how on a viaduct the LA have put in a segregated lane but in doing so have created a ridiculously dangerous hazard http://road.cc/content/news/241261-safe ... ct-bristol
This is exactly the rubbish that we don't want, surely a better solution could have been employed yet they defend it saying it's been done elsewhere and no-one has been harmed.
I don't know the area but it looks like it'd cause an awful lot of damage should you come off or get too close especially if pedestrians are going to be on that stretch too :x
cycle infra.JPG
Bmblbzzz

Re: South Gloucestershire Cycle infra, dangers ....

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Hmm. That photo does look like it presents a nasty hazard if you should come into contact with the supports. But is that actually the finished state? The photo later in the same article shows some kind of yellow plastic covering on top of the supports.
Though that might be a different part of the barrier on the same bridge.

As for the black bollard, I don't think it's a problem as long as there is sufficient reflective material. Black actually shows up quite well in daylight. Certainly I'm glad to have just one bollard rather than a slalom, gate or one of those "raise one pedal and lower the other" barriers - whatever the colour! Having said that, I'm wondering whether any sort of bollard is really needed there.

I guess I'll take a ride out there in a few days to have a look.
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

That's from a different section of road, capping it off with a rubber sleeve doesn't really reduce what is still a stupid hazard to have on your side for cycling.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

It doesn't need full armco on this side, but it does need a cover.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

Bmblbzzz wrote: Having said that, I'm wondering whether any sort of bollard is really needed there.

I guess I'll take a ride out there in a few days to have a look.
I'm baffled why highways like putting bollards in the middle of cyclepaths. They are hazards. Do other countries do it?
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

MikeF wrote: I'm baffled why highways like putting bollards in the middle of cyclepaths. They are hazards. Do other countries do it?

Stop people driving onto them and using them as car parks!
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
mjr

Post by mjr »

MikeF wrote:I'm baffled why highways like putting bollards in the middle of cyclepaths. They are hazards. Do other countries do it?

Yes, but the Netherlands also has signs by them warning: /!\ POST IN WEGDEK as they aren't that frequent.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

mjr wrote:
MikeF wrote:I'm baffled why highways like putting bollards in the middle of cyclepaths. They are hazards. Do other countries do it?

Yes, but the Netherlands also has signs by them warning: /!\ POST IN WEGDEK as they aren't that frequent.
That makes sense.
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.