Its Ok to park across cycle lanes and footpaths!

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
User avatar
RickH
Posts: 3689
Joined: 5 Mar 2012, 6:39pm
Location: Horwich, Lancs.

Re: Its Ok to park across cycle lanes and footpaths!

Postby RickH » 9 May 2018, 10:38pm

You could always comment on social media, etc. that if Fly Sussex can't manage to park a car safely how much can they be trusted in the air! That might get their attention! :twisted:

Edited to add: I've found their Facebook page & can comment to that effect if the OP wants. As the regular tandem pilot for a sight impaired rider that sort of lack of consideration does really annoy me.

Phil Fouracre
Posts: 735
Joined: 12 Jan 2013, 12:16pm
Location: Deepest Somerset

Re: Its Ok to park across cycle lanes and footpaths!

Postby Phil Fouracre » 12 May 2018, 8:29am

Well, that's a convenient coming together of interests! I'm at a paragliding competition, and Fly Sussex are involved, will have a word :-)
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity

User avatar
Cunobelin
Posts: 8046
Joined: 6 Feb 2007, 7:22pm

Re: Its Ok to park across cycle lanes and footpaths!

Postby Cunobelin » 12 May 2018, 8:38am

thirdcrank wrote:This appears to be another example of where enforcement powers should be passed to highway authorities.

I say "appears" because a single pic doesn't really show whether this is a company regularly using part of the highway as an extension of its premises or a one-off.

We have a fundamental problem whereby the highway authority provides the highways - in this case what looks like a cycle track with adjacent footway - but is then largely dependent on increasingly non-existent police enforcement.

Re Regularly or one-off, if you want to use this bit of the highway and it's blocked, it makes no difference, but IMO a highway authority is better placed and arguably has more incentive to deal with persistent problems of highway misuse. A highway authority is unlikely to be in a position to deal with occasional problems, but I fancy the likelihood of the police responding to a call about an obstruction like this is minimal in 2018.



Posted before, but I had clear cut one with a taxi company using a zebra crossing as parking, and it took over 6 months of the Police and local authority denying responsibility and blaming the other

It is better kept with one single entity

User avatar
squeaker
Posts: 3394
Joined: 12 Jan 2007, 11:43pm
Location: Bramber, West Sussex

Re: Its Ok to park across cycle lanes and footpaths!

Postby squeaker » 12 May 2018, 11:40am

Not to mention footways :shock:
"42"

MikeF
Posts: 3433
Joined: 11 Nov 2012, 9:24am
Location: On the borders of the four South East Counties

Re: Its Ok to park across cycle lanes and footpaths!

Postby MikeF » 14 May 2018, 7:53am

661-Pete wrote:Seeing as the name "Fly Sussex" has been mentioned, I now recognise the exact locality.

It looks as if the pick-up was only just off Fly Sussex's own parking area. No excuse of course. Perhaps they could be persuaded to erect a low wall or similar barrier, between their car park and the cycle track? Oh - and take appropriate action against the offending driver, if it was one of their staff, of course...

With any luck, they're reading this. Especially as I've linked to them: Google bots take note! :)
Yes it's a Fly Sussex vehicle blocking the path but the location you give doesn't appear to be the same as that shown by the OP.
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master

User avatar
[XAP]Bob
Posts: 16567
Joined: 26 Sep 2008, 4:12pm

Re: Its Ok to park across cycle lanes and footpaths!

Postby [XAP]Bob » 14 May 2018, 8:18am

Yodel van parked across a cycle path on Saturday - he did move when I asked him to, but as I said... “you wouldn’t park across a side road”

Maybe he would, it’s not as if there wasn’t ample space behind him to sit and look up directions...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.

atlas_shrugged
Posts: 145
Joined: 8 Nov 2016, 7:50pm

Re: Its Ok to park across cycle lanes and footpaths!

Postby atlas_shrugged » 14 May 2018, 4:56pm

I was quite amused at the suggestion of phoning the police. In Oxford and Cambridge the vans parked on cycleways have Police written on them. There is a special law that allows them to park on pavements/cycleways when dealing with emergencies.

The real joke here is that this 'response to an emergency' can be as little as two hundred yards from the main police station. A car journey of 200 yards in either of these cities at peak time can take up to 45 minutes.

A bike journey of 200 yards to get a PC to the emergency in either city would take about 3 minutes. I have not seen any PC in either city on a bike, but I have seen then in London at Hyde Park.

MikeF
Posts: 3433
Joined: 11 Nov 2012, 9:24am
Location: On the borders of the four South East Counties

Re: Its Ok to park across cycle lanes and footpaths!

Postby MikeF » 14 May 2018, 9:53pm

Illegal parking is not now a criminal offence in most areas, but even where it is police won't necessarily deal with it.https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-sussex-44048944/camber-wheelchair-users-forced-into-road-by-cars
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master

brynpoeth
Posts: 6971
Joined: 30 Nov 2013, 11:26am

Re: Its Ok to park across cycle lanes and footpaths!

Postby brynpoeth » 15 May 2018, 5:51am

atlas_shrugged wrote:I was quite amused at the suggestion of phoning the police. In Oxford and Cambridge the vans parked on cycleways have Police written on them. There is a special law that allows them to park on pavements/cycleways when dealing with emergencies.

The real joke here is that this 'response to an emergency' can be as little as two hundred yards from the main police station. A car journey of 200 yards in either of these cities at peak time can take up to 45 minutes.

A bike journey of 200 yards to get a PC to the emergency in either city would take about 3 minutes. I have not seen any PC in either city on a bike, but I have seen then in London at Hyde Park.

Often they park on pavements/cycleways even when there is plenty room on the road, if they parked there the motons would be slowed down too, +1
Cycling? Of course, but it is far better on a Gillott.. Alternative facts welcome

thirdcrank
Posts: 26932
Joined: 9 Jan 2007, 2:44pm

Re: Its Ok to park across cycle lanes and footpaths!

Postby thirdcrank » 15 May 2018, 7:06am

One problem here is that there are several different bits of legislation involved. Driving or parking a mechanically propelled vehicle(formerly a motor vehicle) on a cycle track is an offence, subject to the usual exceptions.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1988/52/section/21
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1980/66/section/65

There's nothing so clear cut in respect of parking on footways for motorcars, light vans etc. Once upon a time, causing an unnecessary obstruction was routinely used but the courts have rendered it almost useless in this context.
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1986 ... n/103/made

Both the above offences are police matters.

"Yellow line" parking has been decriminalised and is now enforced by civil enforcement officers, directly or indirectly employed by the local authority.

All this is against a background of the police service nationally reducing its commitment to traffic enforcement.

MikeF
Posts: 3433
Joined: 11 Nov 2012, 9:24am
Location: On the borders of the four South East Counties

Re: Its Ok to park across cycle lanes and footpaths!

Postby MikeF » 15 May 2018, 7:30pm

thirdcrank wrote:One problem here is that there are several different bits of legislation involved. Driving or parking a mechanically propelled vehicle(formerly a motor vehicle) on a cycle track is an offence, subject to the usual exceptions.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1988/52/section/21
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1980/66/section/65

There's nothing so clear cut in respect of parking on footways for motorcars, light vans etc. Once upon a time, causing an unnecessary obstruction was routinely used but the courts have rendered it almost useless in this context.
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1986 ... n/103/made

Both the above offences are police matters.

"Yellow line" parking has been decriminalised and is now enforced by civil enforcement officers, directly or indirectly employed by the local authority.

All this is against a background of the police service nationally reducing its commitment to traffic enforcement.
Thanks for the clarification.
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master

mark1964
Posts: 31
Joined: 6 Jan 2012, 8:34pm

Re: Its Ok to park across cycle lanes and footpaths!

Postby mark1964 » 3 Sep 2018, 12:51pm

Unfortunately, some people see any empty space as a parking space. Last week I was commuting as usual along Cattle Market Road in Bristol and had just mounted the segregated path when some numpty tow-truck driver coming from the other direction casually drove up into the middle of the cycle path, right in front of me!. He got a bit shirty when I asked him to move, clearly avoiding the double yellow lines on the road & thought the cycle path made a handy parking space!. He'd not broken down, was not ill etc - there was no excuse for veering up onto the path.

I passed my driving test in 1981 and have noted in recent years it seems to have become perfectly acceptable to drive up onto the pavement.

User avatar
squeaker
Posts: 3394
Joined: 12 Jan 2007, 11:43pm
Location: Bramber, West Sussex

Re: Its Ok to park across cycle lanes and footpaths!

Postby squeaker » 3 Sep 2018, 9:01pm

mark1964 wrote:I passed my driving test in 1981 and have noted in recent years it seems to have become perfectly acceptable to drive up onto the pavement.
Indeed: and to knock down rubber bollards to prevent such practices, which West Sussex CC will no longer replace unless really 'safety critical'. The move to wider motor vehicles and SUVs with quasi-off-road suspension hasn't helped either :evil:
"42"

User avatar
Cunobelin
Posts: 8046
Joined: 6 Feb 2007, 7:22pm

Re: Its Ok to park across cycle lanes and footpaths!

Postby Cunobelin » 3 Sep 2018, 9:20pm

Interesting aside with camera footage.

NextBase now has a reporting line - you report the incident and put the video on line the Police then pick it up


Apparently they require two minutes either side of the incident