No longer an Audax virgin

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
ianrobo

Re: No longer an Audax virgin

Post by ianrobo »

oh just found out my planned route for Birmingham/London/Birmingham ride I can self addax myself ... bonus !
ianrobo

Post by ianrobo »

after doing the Kidder Killer (a well named audax !!) last week time next week to my self planned event ...

biggest ride yet ...
Attachments
Screen Shot 2018-07-28 at 15.37.57.jpg
PH

Post by PH »

Well done, you've ramped that up in your first season, going for a SR?
It took me more than a decade to go from my first Audax to a 400 and almost another decade later I'm wondering if it's about time I did a 600!
ianrobo

Post by ianrobo »

PH wrote:Well done, you've ramped that up in your first season, going for a SR?
It took me more than a decade to go from my first Audax to a 400 and almost another decade later I'm wondering if it's about time I did a 600!

I guess you have to remeber that last year I did the Dragon Devil - 303KM and 5Km of climbing, Marmotte etc ... so the step up was not as great as it seems ... the question on a 600 for me is can I do it without sleeping ....

Sorry whats an SR ? still not up to speed with all the terminology !
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

Super Randonneur. Ride a 200k, 300k, 400k and 600k in the same season to qualify.
ianrobo

Post by ianrobo »

Grandad wrote:Super Randonneur. Ride a 200k, 300k, 400k and 600k in the same season to qualify.

the first three will definitely do .... it is the last one that could be the problem, but can self certify so pick an interesting course starting and finishing from home
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

. it is the last one that could be the problem

Figure of eight course based on your house will provide the sleep stop that the majority of 600k riders need. Not necessarily at half distance, nearer 400k probably better.
ianrobo

Post by ianrobo »

Grandad wrote:
. it is the last one that could be the problem

Figure of eight course based on your house will provide the sleep stop that the majority of 600k riders need. Not necessarily at half distance, nearer 400k probably better.

Never thought of that :-)

how long do you have to complete a 600 ?
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

Minimum average speed, including all non riding time, is 15kph. This gives 40 hours.

You need an actual riding average of 20+ kph to create time for the stops .
PH

Post by PH »

Grandad wrote:Minimum average speed, including all non riding time, is 15kph. This gives 40 hours.

For a diy it’s 14.3
If there’s no calendar 600 that you can do there’s the option of extending a shorter event. Plenty of info on the website, it’s easier than it sounds, really simple if you use GPX to validate.
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

Grandad wrote:Minimum average speed, including all non riding time, is 15kph. This gives 40 hours.

That sounds very challenging to me, >20kph over 600km, chapeau!
ianrobo

Post by ianrobo »

PH wrote:

For a diy it’s 14.3
If there’s no calendar 600 that you can do there’s the option of extending a shorter event. Plenty of info on the website, it’s easier than it sounds, really simple if you use GPX to validate.

ah the ECE events ... just depends on a lot of them for location of course ...
ianrobo

Post by ianrobo »

geocycle wrote:

well I did this at average of 23kph and would have been quicker but had to help out a fellow rider - https://www.strava.com/activities/1552281188 so petty confident of completing it at the required pace
ianrobo

Post by ianrobo »

ianrobo wrote:
geocycle wrote:

well I did this at average of 23kph and would have been quicker but had to help out a fellow rider - https://www.strava.com/activities/1552281188 so petty confident of completing it at the required pace

Well did the planned ride to London, no issues etc then the sun came out and max temp was 36C in the sun and Bailed out 120KM short, not disappointed as I would have been in serious trouble !!

But I had plenty left so confident baring temp no issue, so just yesterday went for a giggle - Lytham - Fort William - Lytham ... 1000km
SimonCelsa

Post by SimonCelsa »

There's also Blackpool - Glasgow - Blackpool 600k looming soon (21 Sep) if you fancy a shot at PBP next year!