No longer an Audax virgin

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
ianrobo

No longer an Audax virgin

Post by ianrobo »

I did my first on Saturday - LWL and loved it.

so much so I joined Audax UK straight away, planning another one in July will no longer ride sportives once I have completed the ones I have booked.

so amazed was it I am looking to do a 600km next year and maybe even a 1000km one and will then ask how I prepare to sleep on the bike !
[XAP]Bob

Re: No longer an Audax virgin

Post by [XAP]Bob »

The bug bit ;)

How to sleep on a bike... First get a recumbent, then make sure it's a trike. Then apply the handbrake and relax.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
ianrobo

Post by ianrobo »

[XAP]Bob wrote:The bug bit ;)

How to sleep on a bike... First get a recumbent, then make sure it's a trike. Then apply the handbrake and relax.

Thanks !!!

I was dreading riding at 1AM but found a similar style and speed group and loved it but will need to get new front light for sure !
pwa

Post by pwa »

ianrobo wrote:

Thanks !!!

I was dreading riding at 1AM but found a similar style and speed group and loved it but will need to get new front light for sure !

As you will have worked out, you'll need longer run times than most commuter lights give. So something like one of the Exposure range, which have potentially long run times already but can be augmented with a plug-in battery pack.
ianrobo

Post by ianrobo »

pwa wrote:
ianrobo wrote:

Thanks !!!

As you will have worked out, you'll need longer run times than most commuter lights give. So something like one of the Exposure range, which have potentially long run times already but can be augmented with a plug-in battery pack.

funny just been looking at those exposure range on wiggle but seem very expensive ?

This one ? - http://www.wiggle.co.uk/exposure-strada ... te-switch/
pwa

Post by pwa »

ianrobo wrote:
pwa wrote:
ianrobo wrote:
Thanks !!!

funny just been looking at those exposure range on wiggle but seem very expensive ?

They are expensive, but they are worth it. You feel the quality when you lift it out of the box. The best materials and built to last. Long, long run times. And very user friendly. Just make sure you don't go blinding other road users with it. You are unlikely to need the higher settings. Use the mid or lower settings and enjoy the huge run time instead.
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

ianrobo wrote:I did my first on Saturday - LWL and loved it.

so much so I joined Audax UK straight away, planning another one in July will no longer ride sportives once I have completed the ones I have booked.

so amazed was it I am looking to do a 600km next year and maybe even a 1000km one and will then ask how I prepare to sleep on the bike !

Man dear, don't just look at a 600k next year: with a 400 under your belt you can do a 600 next month, and then the full SR series next year and enter PBP 2019. PBP is, in the words of a friend, the most fun you can have on a bike.

Entry dates for PBP are based on the longest Audax you've done this year, and a 400 already allows you to steal a march on many. A 600 will allow you to enter in January. This is important because numbers are limited. See http://www.aukweb.net/events/pbp/

If you don't, you'll have to wait for PBP 2023, which would be a shame.

Go for it!
Have we got time for another cuppa?
mjr

Post by mjr »

London Westminster London?

Expanding abbreviations on first use would be really helpful unless they're really famous ones like TdF or maybe LEL and PBP (but that's pushing it).
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
pwa

Post by pwa »

mjr wrote:

Expanding abbreviations on first use would be really helpful unless they're really famous ones like TdF or maybe LEL and PBP (but that's pushing it).

What do you think of that Exposure light MJR? The blurb claims it has a flat beam to prevent dazzling. I find the smooth beam of Exposure lights perfect, except for the potential to dazzle. If they have managed to keep the smooth beam (no B&M style facets) with road friendly no-dazzle optics they have answered my prayers. Apart from the obstacle of £200, of course.
mjr

Post by mjr »

pwa wrote:What do you think of that Exposure light MJR? The blurb claims it has a flat beam to prevent dazzling. I find the smooth beam of Exposure lights perfect, except for the potential to dazzle. If they have managed to keep the smooth beam (no B&M style facets) with road friendly no-dazzle optics they have answered my prayers. Apart from the obstacle of £200, of course.

I've not been impressed with what I've read and the lack of any claim of conformance to a relevant legal standard makes me doubt it really has road friendly no-dazzle optics - earlier versions didn't have that based on what I've seen (and could no longer see for a while after looking at one of them). You should be able to import a pretty good legal dynamo and light for £200, but I may be more tolerant of beam variation than others, having grown up with some pretty distorted lights.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
ianrobo

Post by ianrobo »

pwa wrote:
ianrobo wrote:
pwa wrote:As you will have worked out, you'll need longer run times than most commuter lights give. So something like one of the Exposure range, which have potentially long run times already but can be augmented with a plug-in battery pack.

They are expensive, but they are worth it. You feel the quality when you lift it out of the box. The best materials and built to last. Long, long run times. And very user friendly. Just make sure you don't go blinding other road users with it. You are unlikely to need the higher settings. Use the mid or lower settings and enjoy the huge run time instead.

Brilliant ... I saw some similar ones out and about so will order with my platuiuim from them !
ianrobo

Post by ianrobo »

mjr wrote:

London Wales London ...
ianrobo

Post by ianrobo »

mjr wrote: . . . lights.

What would you recommend then ?

This one ?
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/exposure-revo-p ... m-brake-h/
mjr

Post by mjr »

ianrobo wrote:So what would you recommend then ?

This one ?

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/exposure-revo-p ... m-brake-h/

I would not buy Exposure because I've been sat in front of one on night rides. I like Axa and B+M lights. Others don't. I'm sorry but it's now maybe three years since I bought mine (so they've surely been surpassed and are probably obsolete) and I don't have time this week to research the current ranges.
ianrobo

Post by ianrobo »

Audax67 wrote:. . . PBP 2023 . . . Go for it!

one problem : I lost my card !!!