No longer an Audax virgin

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Audax67

Re: No longer an Audax virgin

Post by Audax67 »

ianrobo wrote:I lost my card !!!

Well, that's a pity but you can still do a 600 this year or even another 400. Or contact the LWL organisers and see if they have records.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
pwa

Post by pwa »

mjr wrote:I would not buy Exposure because I've been sat in front of one on night rides. I like Axa and B+M lights. Others don't. I'm sorry but it's now maybe three years since I bought mine (so they've surely been surpassed and are probably obsolete) and I don't have time this week to research the current ranges.

Brief explanation to bring the uninitiated up to speed:

MJR's concern is that some / most bright lights, including those from Exposure have an unshaped beam that chucks light up as well as down, meaning that they dazzle people coming the other way. Some lights from Germany have a shaped beam, like a car dipped beam, that doesn't do that. But the latter don't give the lovely smooth, wide and even pool of light on the road that Exposure lights give. The Exposure light you linked to claims to provide a shaped beam which, if true, makes it a real winner. MJR doubts the claim.
pwa

Post by pwa »

After a bit of searching I did find video of an Exposure Strada 1200 beam pattern and it definitely is a wide rectangle, rather than an unshaped circle, so it is in that regard an advance on other Exposure lights I've seen. For me that is the final piece in the jigsaw, because I already like practically everything else about Exposure.
ianrobo

Post by ianrobo »

OK thanks paw ... can not find another long ride I can fit into my schedule this year but all on for next year (I have already signed up to Dragon Devil, Velothon and Revolve 24 so need the lights for that !!)
ianrobo

Post by ianrobo »

just checked the Exposure lights at local Evans and like it so will get the cheaper one of the two but wiggle is over 50 quid cheaper !
ianrobo

Post by ianrobo »

and light delivered and very pleased with it now to test it at night !
delilah

Post by delilah »

I can recommend these lights for audax
http://www.candb-seen.co.uk/
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Also remember that dynamo lights will run off DC as well, a small AA pack is a good option for a very long running light with good efficiency and beam pattern.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
ianrobo

Post by ianrobo »

just to update that very very happy with exposure, done a couple of night rights in country lanes and great, though the mounting is rather loose ....

Then getting so confident, that well this is not an official addax, I intend to ride this in first week on august ... Audax in all but name :-)

Screen Shot 2018-06-17 at 15.34.19.jpg
RickH

Post by RickH »

ianrobo wrote:just to update that very very happy with exposure, done a couple of night rights in country lanes and great, though the mounting is rather loose ....

What part of the mounting is loose (assuming it is this one)

Make sure there is enough rubber strip under the part that mounts round the bars, even with 31.8 diameter bars there should be a thin strip (the last one I bought was a self-adhesive strip of red rubber for use with 31.8mm bars. The fatter rubber "split O" for 25.4mm bars should be used as well as the thin strip not instead).

The QR bit should be completely rigid if the light is properly engaged (the QR pin, with the red end, goes right back into its "resting" position), if it isn't fully in the light can dislodge itself on a bumpy road (I'll give you one guess how I know! :? ). The good news is that, if it does self ejest, it is likely to end up with nothing more than a few scratches. :D

The only other source of possible movement I can think of is if the QR triangle on the lamp itself is loose. There's an allen bolt to allow for lateral adjustment & the hole on the handlebar mount should allow you to adjust & tighten the bolt with the lamp in situ.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
ianrobo

Post by ianrobo »

thats the one ... the problem I have is I use three bands but then can not get the thing to join up to screw in ... and with two bands it is too loose, a bit strange as have standard handlebars.
RickH

Post by RickH »

ianrobo wrote:thats the one ... the problem I have is I use three bands but then can not get the thing to join up to screw in ... and with two bands it is too loose, a bit strange as have standard handlebars.

I've not got my spare bits to hand at the moment but check if they are different thicknesses - different combinations may give different results. Plan B would be a few wraps of electrical tape on the bars, or a beer can shim, at the right spot to fatten them up a touch under the rubber spacer.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
ianrobo

Post by ianrobo »

RickH wrote:
ianrobo wrote:thats the one ... the problem I have is I use three bands but then can not get the thing to join up to screw in ... and with two bands it is too loose, a bit strange as have standard handlebars.

I've not got my spare bits to hand at the moment but check if they are different thicknesses - different combinations may give different results. Plan B would be a few wraps of electrical tape on the bars, or a beer can shim, at the right spot to fatten them up a touch under the rubber spacer.

yep they are a bit different but you have the complete one and the two halves and does not seem to matter the combo and what I do not get is that all three are difficult to tie it to ... strange, other than that the light is fantastic !
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

Audax67 wrote:
ianrobo wrote:I lost my card !!!

Well, that's a pity but you can still do a 600 this year or even another 400. Or contact the LWL organisers and see if they have records.

You will be listed as a finisher on the AUK website, which is proof enough that you completed the event if you did consider riding PBP.

http://www.aukweb.net/results/detail/this/events/
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
ianrobo

Post by ianrobo »

strange not on there but a couple I rode with are