Insurance - hired bike on private roads

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
dreuby

Insurance - hired bike on private roads

Post by dreuby »

I'm going to a Center Parcs for a week, and have hired one of their bikes rather than take my own. I'll be taking my own helmet etc. Will my Cycling Uk third party insurance cover me on their private roads?
Airsporter1st

Re: Insurance - hired bike on private roads

Post by Airsporter1st »

I would have thought Center Parc's own insurance would cover you under these circumstances?
gaz

Post by gaz »

Welcome to the forum.
Policy Guidance
Summary of the Cover provided

Cover is provided for injury or damage caused by you to a third party while you are cycling anywhere in the world, except the USA and Canada.

Please note that gaz is not FCA regulated and cannot assess individual needs for insurance. You will not receive advice or recommendations from gaz about them. Please direct your queries to your chosen insurance provider, who may be either vaguely reassuring or reassuringly vague in their response (wonderful phrase, my thanks to mjr for providing it on another thread). Hand wash only. Do not iron. Your home may be at risk if you leave the gas on whilst holidaying at Center Parks. Posted on a forum that contains track nuts and cannot be guaranteed track nut free.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

gaz wrote:Welcome to the forum.
Policy Guidance
Summary of the Cover provided

Cover is provided for injury or damage caused by you to a third party while you are cycling anywhere in the world, except the USA and Canada.

Please note that gaz is not FCA regulated and cannot assess individual needs for insurance. You will not receive advice or recommendations from gaz about them. Please direct your queries to your chosen insurance provider, who may be either vaguely reassuring or reassuringly vague in their response (wonderful phrase, my thanks to mjr for providing it on another thread). Hand wash only. Do not iron. Your home may be at risk if you leave the gas on whilst holidaying at Center Parks. Posted on a forum that contains track nuts and cannot be guaranteed track nut free.

That is literally small print!
Username

Post by Username »

Why not planet Trump or Canada?
dreuby

Post by dreuby »

Thanks for that - I did read the policy and FAQs, but I wasn't sure if private land would be covered.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Cunobelin wrote:That is literally small print!

Hopefully not....
No trees were harmed in the display of this post, however several million electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Airsporter1st

Post by Airsporter1st »

Sorry for resurrecting a relatively old thread, but further to my initial response (which seems to have been ignored so I won't hold out hope of a response this time either) I contacted Centre Parcs and here is their answer:

Thank you for contacting us recently via our online customer service facility. Please find below a summary of our correspondence.

We hope this issue is now resolved to your satisfaction, if this is not the case please contact us within the next 7 days.

Subject
Third party insurance

Discussion Thread
Response Via Email (Lesley Dawson) 29/05/2018 03.12 PM
Dear Mr St********

Thank you for your email.

If hiring one of our cycles you will be insured while on the village.

Hope this helps

Lesley
Auto-Response 14/05/2018 04.39 PM
The following answers might help you immediately. (Answers open in a separate window.)
Answer Link: Is your WiFi secure?
Answer Link: What is there for my children that are under 5 years?
Answer Link: Party in the Parc
Answer Link: Party In The Parc Offer
Answer Link: Toddler Party Hour

Customer By Web Form (Paul S*********) 14/05/2018 04.39 PM
Hi, do you provide third party insurance with hire bikes used on your property, or do I need to arrange my own?

Thankyou.

Paul

Question Reference #180514-000221
Product Level 1: Non-Village Specific
Category Level 1: Activity questions
Date Created: 14/05/2018 04.39 PM
Last Updated: 29/05/2018 03.12 PM
Booking Reference:

[---001:001015:34486---] UNQUOTE
Airsporter1st

Post by Airsporter1st »

P.S. In the hopefully unlikely event of you having to make a claim, you are usually asked if any other insurance exists to cover the same peril, so it is important to be aware of the existence of Centre Parc's own policy.

As an example drawn from an incident in which I was personally involved some time ago in my capacity as a Loss Adjuster, if you lost your clothes in a laundry fire, the laundry's insurers would ask if you had a home contents policy. If that were the case, then you would be covered by the latter for 'goods temporarily removed from the home' and the likelihood is that both your home contents and the laundry's insurers would share the risk.