Empty roads?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
roberts8

Empty roads?

Post by roberts8 »

I am not interested in the wedding or football so I am planning a sunny ride on empty roads. I wonder if it will be as good as I am hoping as clear roads are rare round here. Maybe major events on TV could be worth considering for a longer quieter ride.
Just a thought.
NATURAL ANKLING

Re: Empty roads?

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Fridays and Saturdays I have always found quite anyway, your not the only one to think that.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Will be out later this morning with the same in mind - looks like it'll be a good day :D
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
pwa

Post by pwa »

Talking to a couple of people last night I got the impression that there are quite a lot of people out there who will be trying to stay away from a TV during the wedding, so I don't anticipate completely empty roads. Sadly. We get the same disappointing result here when Wales are playing (rugby) and some people expect the streets to be empty. But in fact a lot of people see the opportunity to get around the shops a bit more easily than usual and the streets end up being just about as busy as ever.
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
So you live in Wales............don't like rugby..........and are anti royalists....... :lol:

Oh....give me peace and quite and no other humans, the moors is always a good place :)

We are at home today but plan a moors walk tomorrow, and no NO intention of seeing those twerps at all :evil:
pwa

Post by pwa »

In an hour or so my wife and I will be leaving the house with our walking gear and ambling down to the path over the cliffs with the Bristol Channel and the distant Exmoor as a backdrop. The path across the fields that we will take is also access for a naturist beach and we may be treated to a view of a few bare bottoms and dangly bits as well stroll. Some of the anti-textile folk get their kit off before they actually reach the beach. All part of life's rich tapestry.

I think that in my part of Wales the range of opinion about Royalty and their weddings is pretty similar to that in England. Lots enthusiastic, lots indifferent (me) and lots against anything Royal. I'm just determined not to be exposed to an excessive amount of TV coverage, so I'll be out enjoying the good weather.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Football finished last week iirc, not sure about the wedding you're on about. Half heard something on news about an American TV actress getting wed, meh! I turned the news off.

Not a real royal wedding it seems. I've never watched one in my life, not even a glimpse of the wedding programme. I don't intend to watch the wedding of the 5th and increasing in line to the throne. I mean, it's looking like Will is on his way to compete with Victoria for kids so Harry will be so far down the pecking order he might as well be the Major's son!

Viva la Republique! Let them eat cake (but from Madam' Gs basket! :wink:). Seriously, I'm not fussed any constititional monarchy or Republic. If it's going to be wall to wall coverage of an increasingly minor royal's wedding day then I'll choose sides to end this sycophantic discussions on wedding dresses and whatever carp they're discussing about this wedding. Hence the "viva la Republique" comment.
pwa

Post by pwa »

I was going to make a joke about society accepting someone from an ethnic minority, and then making it clear I was talking about red heads, but having written it I've decided it could be taken wrong and offend different people for different reasons so you won't be treated to that levity. It is nice to see a mixed race person enter the Royal Family though. A lovely sign of the times.
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
Forced.....by better half.......well I could go to the kitchen....to watch the prerollocks...................Becks is stern..............posh is pouting and had to check Becks invite then sat in wrong chair.............dapper suits with a name I don't remember walking with ..........Tom Hardy with a notable bald head.............odds are Tom Hardy will get most coverage of the presenters because some bodys sister acted in a drama.....................on and on........................
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

^^^ I'll have a pint of what he's had ^^^
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

The wedding of Charles and Di .... I cycled from Leuchars in Fife through St Andrews and round the coast of the Kingdom without seeing a single car.. Quite a few other cyclists had the same idea .... 8)
Last edited by landsurfer on 19 May 2018, 11:39am, edited 1 time in total.
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

I think more people than you think will be taking advantage of the empty roads :lol:
nick1984

Post by nick1984 »

Ive had empty roads 90% of the time I’ve been out, I live in the Center of Norfolk with winding village roads and rarely see a car, see lots of ducks and the odd tractor

I’ve got the same idea today, the wife will be glued to the tv and the boy will have an afternoon nap so daddy’s off for a ride out somewhere

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my wobbly bog brush using hovercraft full of eels
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

Clubrun went to same garden centre cafe as last Saturday. Then it was crowded, when we arrived today there were just 4 in there and 2 of them were our early already arrived members. :D

I ended up with a total of 55 not quite traffic free miles - roll on the next over hyped event.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Back from my ride and whilst it wasn't traffic free it was less busy even around the towns. Quite a few bikies about but not as many as I thought (although I did go along Strines/Mortimer Rd so not the most biked friendly.) Cafe was pretty quite.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!