Guards n gears

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
peetee

Guards n gears

Post by peetee »

We all know mudguards are to keep us and others free of road spray but i would welcome members comments on the effectiveness of mudguards in their various guises on protecting the gearing from road spray and grime. Have you two bikes, one with guards the other without, and can make a direct comparison? Or maybe you have fitted them after some time without and can comment on this aspect of the protection they provide?
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
flat tyre

Re: Guards n gears

Post by flat tyre »

I've got several bikes and a selection of mudguarded and non mudguarded bikes. I usually use the mudguarded bikes if there is the slightest hint that the roads are wet, mainly because I hate getting that wet bum feeling and having mud sprayed into my face. On the odd occasion that I've ended up riding a non mudguarded bike through even a little bit of damp road, I've been amazed at the amount of crud that has accumulated on the chain and gearing. My mudguarded bikes have got big mudflaps fitted on the front mudguards, which assist further in preventing muck reaching the drive chain and the amount of crud accumulating is far less in comparative conditions than on the non-mudguarded bikes. I'm not sure why I don't use mudguards all the time really, I think it's just vanity as I can't discern any speed penalty but difficult to make a direct comparison as I usually am a bit more cautious if it's wet. Based on my experience and the weather conditions in Britain I'm always amazed that so many new bikes are supplied with no mudguards.
Last edited by flat tyre on 20 May 2018, 7:39am, edited 1 time in total.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

They might save muck getting onto the front mech - I say may as it depends how they are fitted.

At the rear it makes no difference whatsoever.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

if the cables run under the bb then mudguards can help avoid crud build up there
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

Mudguards on their own don't protect the drive chain if anything they make it worse. You need to consider mudflaps as well. Mud flaps . The front will protect the chain , the rear will protect your friends.
NUKe

Post by mercalia »

NUKe wrote:Mudguards on their own don't protect the drive chain if anything they make it worse. You need to consider mudflaps as well. Mud flaps . The front will protect the chain , the rear will protect your friends.
and your buttock
tim-b

Post by tim-b »

Hi
I tend not to go sans guards if rain is likely, but to stray slightly my rear brake and light suffer badly even on "dry" days
Regards
tim-b
~~~~¯\(ツ)/¯~~~~
Mr Evil

Post by Mr Evil »

I have one bike with and one without mudguards. On the one without mudguards, the drivetrain end up covered in crunchy grit in short order if I ride it in the rain, requiring constant washing. The bike with mudguards can go through weeks of rain without needing to clean the drivetrain.
steady eddy

Post by steady eddy »

I have 28mm wheels under mudguards. Wouldn't be without them - As speed is not of the essence in my cycling, why do I need to ride a bike without mudguards, or even take them off for the summer when it apparently never rains. Not only do they keep the muck off my bike and particularly around that hard to clean area around brakes and brake bridges, they also avoid the inevitable muddy streak up my back and avoid my companions getting sprayed with dirty water behind me. When we were much younger we used to see if we could get low enough to get the spray from the rear wheel over our heads.! Today I enjoy riding through puddles, because I can. Its strange how priorities change.
To me a traditionally styled bike looks naked without mudguards, but beauty is of course in the eye of the beholder.
mjr

Post by mjr »

peetee wrote:Or maybe you have fitted them after some time without and can comment on this aspect of the protection they provide?

I did this, fitting mudguards to a bike that had none, mudflaps to a bike that had only mudguards and a chainguard to a bike that had mudguards and flaps.

Mudguards reduced the amount of muck getting on the bottom bracket and chain, a front mudflap reduced it further and a chainguard that covers the whole front of the chainrings (a ~~~o shape one) reduced it even further. I can't exactly quantify it but a KMC B1 chain doesn't need cleaning very often and lasts more than the winter of riding most days through the most awful conditions for chains: filthy main roads that get salted at the drop of a hat with loads of spray, sand and debris being kicked up by passing motorists.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Greystoke

Post by Greystoke »

I see so many people commuting on bikes without mudguards (my bikes all have full mudguards). Apparently they're not cool "I wouldn't be seen dead on a bike with mudguards"...... :shock:
I don't get it.
A group of us cycle toured a few years ago, 3 with mudguards, 1 without......it was torrential rain, we kept relatively dry.....guess who didn't.
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

The front part rear guard, if it goes right down between the chainstays, stops muck from being thrown from the back wheel onto the front mech and its cable, and also the chain where it goes past the tyre (the latter assuming its curved well enough)..

The front guard, if its long enough and has a mudflap, stops stuff getting from the front wheel onto the chainwheel/crank/BB/front changer, cables if they run under the BB, as well as your feet. It also stops muck being thrown up onto the headset bearings, and bits of rim brake components (apart from cantis/V's and the like)
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !