Air horn to deter pedestrians

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Debs

Re: Air horn to deter pedestrians

Post by Debs »

ThePinkOne wrote:
Debs wrote:My riding is nearly all country lanes mainly narrow typical 4 meters wide with no white lines or pavements, the verges are often muddy, overgrown, or high hedgerows. I use a 'PING' bell whenever i approach walkers or horse riders, as soon as i'm close enough i always say 'Hello!' in a friendly manner as to not cause any offence, this ploy usually works okay...

But what i do find a little too often are dozy dog walkers, apparently oblivious to their surroundings, or any sense of highway code road safety, and ignoring my 'Ping' as i approach from a distance at typically 15mph, the dog-walker typically is walking one side of the road, but the dog on the other side, and a 12 foot lead stretched out across the road like a barrier, often a closer up 'Ping' will only achieve a very reluctant acknowledgement, and with extremely slow reactions they take their time to reign their dog in so i may pass at 3 or 4 mph - because i'd had to slow right down, however i still say, Hello, thank you very much, but often they look on at me with hostility and annoyance...

I don't know what the answer is :?

Limit the speed of all users of such lanes to 5mph maybe? :twisted:

Is 15mph too fast on such lanes?

One of the pleasures of walking on a quiet lane surely is to be able to bimble along without being in "constant alert for danger" mode.......

Yes I am playing Devils Advocate a bit, but cyclists can run the risk of sounding a bit hypocritical. 15mph is rather fast compared to a pedestrian.....

TPO

You're not playing devil's Advocate or anything of the sort,
you playing someone being very unreasonable who hasn't taken the time to read my post or have any understanding as to what it was i wrote :roll:
Username

Post by Username »

Lol the cyclist uses a good technique, not sure I'd be brave enough to use one tho. However he does seem to use it in situations where its not needed. A lot of the pedestrians were indeed being ridiculously stupid. But why blast the horn at people already crossing or a broken down moped?
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

Debs wrote:
ThePinkOne wrote:
Debs wrote:My riding is nearly all country lanes mainly narrow typical 4 meters wide with no white lines or pavements, the verges are often muddy, overgrown, or high hedgerows. I use a 'PING' bell whenever i approach walkers or horse riders, as soon as i'm close enough i always say 'Hello!' in a friendly manner as to not cause any offence, this ploy usually works okay...

But what i do find a little too often are dozy dog walkers, apparently oblivious to their surroundings, or any sense of highway code road safety, and ignoring my 'Ping' as i approach from a distance at typically 15mph, the dog-walker typically is walking one side of the road, but the dog on the other side, and a 12 foot lead stretched out across the road like a barrier, often a closer up 'Ping' will only achieve a very reluctant acknowledgement, and with extremely slow reactions they take their time to reign their dog in so i may pass at 3 or 4 mph - because i'd had to slow right down, however i still say, Hello, thank you very much, but often they look on at me with hostility and annoyance...

I don't know what the answer is :?

Limit the speed of all users of such lanes to 5mph maybe? :twisted:

Is 15mph too fast on such lanes?

One of the pleasures of walking on a quiet lane surely is to be able to bimble along without being in "constant alert for danger" mode.......

Yes I am playing Devils Advocate a bit, but cyclists can run the risk of sounding a bit hypocritical. 15mph is rather fast compared to a pedestrian.....

TPO

You're not playing devil's Advocate or anything of the sort,
you playing someone being very unreasonable who hasn't taken the time to read my post or have any understanding as to what it was i wrote :roll:

I have to agree with Debs here. 15mph or thereabouts is the normal cruising speed for a cyclist. Fair enough to expect cyclists to ride slower on a roadside shared use cyclepath or bridle way, but a quiet lane is still a public road and there must be an expectation of some form of traffic along it, be it a cyclist or a car. Not really a place to be bimbling.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
ThePinkOne

Post by ThePinkOne »

So where are pedestrians allowed to have a gentle stroll? I did read your post, including about the lack of verges/footway.

As with cars in residential streets, going at the "reasonable cruising speed" of our mode of wheeled transport may not always be a good idea as it may cause problems for more vulnerable users.

Incidentally, I do not have a dog and I loathe those extendable leads. However, I also recognise that approaching at 15mph can seem fast to a pedestrian who perhaps has been observing nature around them as they and their dog have a relaxing stroll. And what are slow reactions from your perspective may not be really. I also wonder how much of the "hostile" look is your perceptions....

There are times when a quiet pedestrian bimble is one of those great pleasures in life, especially on quiet lanes- pavements are usually by busy roads.

TPO
brooksby

Post by brooksby »

ThePinkOne wrote:So where are pedestrians allowed to have a gentle stroll? I did read your post, including about the lack of verges/footway.

As with cars in residential streets, going at the "reasonable cruising speed" of our mode of wheeled transport may not always be a good idea as it may cause problems for more vulnerable users.

Incidentally, I do not have a dog and I loathe those extendable leads. However, I also recognise that approaching at 15mph can seem fast to a pedestrian who perhaps has been observing nature around them as they and their dog have a relaxing stroll. And what are slow reactions from your perspective may not be really. I also wonder how much of the "hostile" look is your perceptions....

There are times when a quiet pedestrian bimble is one of those great pleasures in life, especially on quiet lanes- pavements are usually by busy roads.

TPO

I don't think debs was talking about footpaths or anything off road. So the answer to your question of where pedestrians can go for a quiet stroll is "not on a carriageway". I appreciate that many country lanes are pretty quiet, but nevertheless they are carriageways: expect motor vehicles travelling over 30mph, expect bicycles travelling over 15 mph.
Ron

Post by Ron »

brooksby wrote:I don't think debs was talking about footpaths or anything off road. So the answer to your question of where pedestrians can go for a quiet stroll is "not on a carriageway". I appreciate that many country lanes are pretty quiet, but nevertheless they are carriageways: expect motor vehicles travelling over 30mph, expect bicycles travelling over 15 mph.

I hope you don't drive or cycle on rural roads, pedestrians can walk as fast or slow as they wish, and have priority.
Perhaps I have misunderstood, but your advice appears contrary to that offered in the Highway Code
Rule 206
Drive carefully and slowly when approaching pedestrians on narrow rural roads without a footway or footpath. Always slow down and be prepared to stop if necessary, giving them plenty of room as you drive past.
Username

Post by Username »

Ron wrote:
brooksby wrote:I don't think debs was talking about footpaths or anything off road. So the answer to your question of where pedestrians can go for a quiet stroll is "not on a carriageway". I appreciate that many country lanes are pretty quiet, but nevertheless they are carriageways: expect motor vehicles travelling over 30mph, expect bicycles travelling over 15 mph.

I hope you don't drive or cycle on rural roads, pedestrians can walk as fast or slow as they wish, and have priority.
Perhaps I have misunderstood, but your advice appears contrary to that offered in the Highway Code
Rule 206
Drive carefully and slowly when approaching pedestrians on narrow rural roads without a footway or footpath. Always slow down and be prepared to stop if necessary, giving them plenty of room as you drive past.

Like fudge they do! Pedestrians do not have priority on a road. If you want pedestrians to have priority on infrastructure made for vehicles, then where do you draw the line? Should we be allowed to set up a telescope on the A82, like right in the middle of it where the white stripes are. Should we be allowed to host the World Cup on the M25, or possibly the A9 because the M25 is a motorway? Would we be allowed to camp on the A470?

Fun fact: Did you* know the national speed limit sign is generally used instead of the number 70 due to the number of drivers stopping to [do something dirty] over the 70 signs. 70 is only 1 away from 69 so the authorities had to use something non sexual.

Ron
Bez

Post by Bez »

Fun fact: Did you* know the national speed limit sign is generally used instead of the number 70 due to the number of drivers stopping to [do something dirty] over the 70 signs. 70 is only 1 away from 69 so the authorities had to use something non sexual.

That's the least convincing "fact" I've ever heard. You should write it on the side of a big red bus.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Bez wrote: ... That's the least convincing "fact" I've ever heard. You should write it on the side of a big red bus.

The most obvious evidence of that is that when it was introduced, the national speed limit sign indicated "no speed limit" ie leaving the 30mph limit of the built-up area. It only became the national speed limit sign much later when national speed limits were introduced. Goods vehicles were separately restricted to speed limits based on vehicle type.

In any case, the national speed limit is now 70 only on dual carriageways.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Username wrote:Fun fact: Did you* know the national speed limit sign is generally used instead of the number 70 due to the number of drivers stopping to [do something dirty] over the 70 signs. 70 is only 1 away from 69 so the authorities had to use something non sexual.
Pull the other one! :twisted: In France the 70 (Km/h) sign is commonplace, and I've never heard of it being identified with anything prurient. And don't forget, the French people practically invented le soixante-neuf! :shock:
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
sjs

Post by sjs »

brooksby wrote:
I don't think debs was talking about footpaths or anything off road. So the answer to your question of where pedestrians can go for a quiet stroll is "not on a carriageway". I appreciate that many country lanes are pretty quiet, but nevertheless they are carriageways: expect motor vehicles travelling over 30mph, expect bicycles travelling over 15 mph.

Except no bimbling on bridle paths of course, where one also sees cyclists moaning about quiet strollers. And there are cyclists arguing to be permitted on public footpaths (thread on here somewhere IIRC). Where then?
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Username wrote:
Ron wrote:

Rule 206

Like fudge they do! Pedestrians do not have priority on a road. If you want pedestrians to have priority on infrastructure made for vehicles, then where do you draw the line? Should we be allowed to set up a telescope on the A82, like right in the middle of it where the white stripes are. Should we be allowed to host the World Cup on the M25, or possibly the A9 because the M25 is a motorway? Would we be allowed to camp on the A470?

Ron

The national speed limit is changeable. For instance a few years back during the Fuel Crisis

By having s sign that is not numerical it saves millions on costs of having to update signs
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Cunobelin wrote:The national speed limit is changeable. For instance a few years back during the Fuel Crisis

By having s sign that is not numerical it saves millions on costs of having to update signs
Interestingly, this takes us back to France once again. On 1st July, they will be lowering the NSL on single-carriageway main roads outside built-up areas, from 90 Km/h to 80 Km/h. Amid huge controversy, unsurprisingly when one considers the predilections of the stereotypical French chauffard!

But in France it's commonplace to see signs marked "90", especially when approaching a radar (speed camera - a helpful reminder!). Are all these going to be changed? Perhaps someone can answer this, or else we'll find out on our next French trip later this month...

[edit] - after googling, more info here (in French).
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Mais dans quelle mesure serez-vous impactés ?

Le magazine Autoplus s'est livré à quelques savants calculs pour répondre à la question.

(From the link.)

How will it affect you? Autoplus magazine has worked it out....

STOP PRESS: Drivers don't like this type of thing anymore in France than they do here.
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

sjs wrote:
brooksby wrote:

Except no bimbling on bridle paths of course, where one also sees cyclists moaning about quiet strollers. And there are cyclists arguing to be permitted on public footpaths (thread on here somewhere IIRC). Where then?

The local park, especially if you've got dog on an extended lead.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com