Climbing

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
horizon

Re: Climbing

Post by horizon »

chris_suffolk wrote:Would be interested in replies to this one - off to the Alps in a few weeks and just wondering how people get their head around going up hill for 20 miles or so. Fitness side, not overly worried, mental side - well that's a different issue.

The technique I used to use in Cornwall (fully loaded bike) was to set a very generous time to get to the summit. Then I could relax (even if I walked). I always got to the top sooner than the time allowed which showed me that we exaggerate the difficulties - it really is all mental. Faced with a 20 mile hill, I would give myself until lunchtime (assuming it's just after breakfast). Suddenly, it's all very relaxed and easy. And that's even without setting break times and stages up the hill. I would also think of my hill walking days when one was faced with a much steeper slope. If you are really struggling on the bike and won't walk then that is a different problem.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

horizon wrote:
chris_suffolk wrote:Would be interested in replies to this one - off to the Alps in a few weeks and just wondering how people get their head around going up hill for 20 miles or so. Fitness side, not overly worried, mental side - well that's a different issue.

The technique I used to use in Cornwall (fully loaded bike) was to set a very generous time to get to the summit. Then I could relax (even if I walked). I always got to the top sooner than the time allowed which showed me that we exaggerate the difficulties - it really is all mental. Faced with a 20 mile hill, I would give myself until lunchtime (assuming it's just after breakfast). Suddenly, it's all very relaxed and easy. And that's even without setting break times and stages up the hill. I would also think of my hill walking days when one was faced with a much steeper slope. If you are really struggling on the bike and won't walk then that is a different problem.

My philosophy in such situations is to forget time and be in the now,the now is all there is.
The rhythmn,the aboutness,the being where you are,these things that matter and are lost when time and destination get in the way of them.
The top/destination will come soon enough why rush it,it is a holiday after all?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
horizon

Post by horizon »

reohn2 wrote:
My philosophy in such situations is to forget time and be in the now,the now is all there is.
The rhythmn,the aboutness,the being where you are,these things that matter and are lost when time and destination get in the way of them.
The top/destination will come soon enough why rush it,it is a holiday after all?

Giving yourself loads of time allows you to forget the time. Wanting to get it over with is the problem - it causes frustration and impatience (and possibly exhaustion as well). Even if you have a tight schedule you cannot do it faster than you can do it.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

horizon wrote:
reohn2 wrote:

Giving yourself loads of time allows you to forget the time. Wanting to get it over with is the problem - it causes frustration and impatience (and possibly exhaustion as well). Even if you have a tight schedule you cannot do it faster than you can do it.

Our philosophy is very similar :wink:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

I do wish the laws of physics might be changed so one could cycle uphill without having to ride down again
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Cyril Haearn wrote:I do wish the laws of physics might be changed so one could cycle uphill without having to ride down again

But isn't that the point of riding up? Nothing like blasting down several kilometres after grinding up! Or just take your time - you've earnt the pleasure of freewheeling afterall. Cycling without the downhills would be like - well Holland! :lol:
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

No, I am **** scared of riding downhill

Why, might one be in a minority? Do many enjoy cycling downhill at 40-50-60 kmh? Or mph? :wink:
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Cyril Haearn wrote:No, I am **** scared of riding downhill

Why, might one be in a minority? Do many enjoy cycling downhill at 40-50-60 kmh? Or mph? :wink:

I'll admit to hitting 62kph somewhere on today's ride, reward for the 1500m of climbing! A couple of years ago on an event in the Tirol I hit 98kph - that was a long steep decent though, on a closed road. Bloody scary! I don't go out trying to go fast but sometimes you let the bike go and it just does.

I actually don't enjoy descending slowly, I will if I need to but hands cramped from braking, wearing out the pads and heating the rims, no not for me. And when I look on Strava some people are descending a damn sight faster than me - I looked at one of today's bits where I thought i'd gone well only to find that over about half a mile the women's tour last year went down 20 seconds quicker than me! (me 1.40, think it was Vos 1.20! - of course I wasn't trying!)
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
pwa

Post by pwa »

The only certainty about life is death. You will die no matter how careful you are along the way. Most of us analyse risks and avoid anything that seems too dangerous. But if you are too careful you miss out on exhilarating experiences, and descending a long hill with a good road surface in nice conditions at 40mph can be relatively safe and very pleasurable. Just the same as swimming in a river or climbing a tree.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

pwa wrote:

The only certainty about life is death. You will die no matter how careful you are along the way. Most of us analyse risks and avoid anything that seems too dangerous. But if you are too careful you miss out on exhilarating experiences, and descending a long hill with a good road surface in nice conditions at 40mph can be relatively safe and very pleasurable. Just the same as swimming in a river or climbing a tree.

I am too scared/careful/sensible/boring to try it, I live in the lowlands now :wink:
I like the right sort of tiredness, smugness, healthy hunger after 80 gently undulating kilometers
chris_suffolk

Post by chris_suffolk »

If I'm going to ride for 3+ hours to get up a hill / mountain col I'm sure going to make the most of the descent. So long as you have a decent bike with good brakes and tyres, and you can trust them all to perform as you want, then it's great fun. I guess if any of these are missing then it could become scary
Last edited by chris_suffolk on 16 Jun 2018, 8:02pm, edited 5 times in total.
pwa

Post by pwa »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
pwa wrote:

I am too scared/careful/sensible/boring to try it, I live in the lowlands now :wink:
I like the right sort of tiredness, smugness, healthy hunger after 80 gently undulating kilometers

Well just in case you change your mind, this road is good for 40mph in places. In the opposite direction it is a draggy climb.

https://www.google.com/maps/@51.6414037 ... 6?hl=en-GB
chris_suffolk

Post by chris_suffolk »

This is good for a little over 40mph, in the other direction a bit more than a draggy climb

https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-france-hautes-alpes-col-du-galibier-2642m-by-road-from-the-lautaret-70421930.html
thelawnet

Post by thelawnet »

I'm sure there's a number at which I wouldn't like it, and it depends on the road surface - here in Indonesia there's liable to be a killer pothole just out of sight. I'm pretty chicken though. I think 30-40mph seems ok if the road is nice. Wouldn't want to be doing 60mph down a mountain pass, TdF stylee.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
pwa wrote:

The scary bit is afterwards, when you actually look at you max speed, consider how knife edge it is riding with maybe 4 square centimetres of road contact - leaping that cattle grid at 60kph, rattling through the odd pothole and all without an airbag or parachute!

Yes you have to be confident of your steed, how it handles, how the brakes react - get it all right and it's a glory as you flick the bike through the turns, accelerate on the ramps and give the motor traffic something to think about!

I came off the Susten Pass in Switzerland and found myself catching (quite rapidly at times) a nice Porsche 911, I was comfortably holding 80kph but he was having to lose more than me through the turns. I applied a bit more brake after the second tunnel and needed a few minutes at a bar to steady my nerves for the rest of the descent! Great fun.