Route advice please folks, Southampton to Tidworth

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
AaronR

Route advice please folks, Southampton to Tidworth

Post by AaronR »

Morning all!

Having spent the last 13 months living and working away from home I have found a job closer to home!

By road (car) it's about 40 miles, Google with the cycle option selected trims this down to about 33 miles, from the eastern edge of Southampton to Tidworth

Plan is to drive on Monday so I can leave stuff in the office, cycle Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, and then drive Friday to bring stuff home

Happy to try the route Google has suggested, and can fine tune it for the local area to save time/miles, but looking for suggestions to do the same on the rest of the route

Riding a Surly Cross Check set up with gears and wide trail/gravel tyres, and would love to find some bridleway sections if I can to get away from traffic where possible

Here's what Google has suggested

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/dir/Middl ... 333656!3e1

Any suggestions? Google map screenshots showing routes would be appreciated, or if you use any of the many online GPX route creation websites that would be perfect

MikeF

Re: Route advice please folks, Southampton to Tidworth

Post by MikeF »

Phew! 6 (+?) hours cycling per day and say 8 hours at work. Cycle.travel gives a similar route to the blue one with some quieter parts. I don't know the area for cycling however.
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.