Triathlete hits horse on road. Shameful!

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
thirdcrank

Re: Triathlete hits horse on road. Shameful!

Postby thirdcrank » 27 Jan 2019, 8:26am

Does anybody know more about this than has been reported in the two links already posted?

The cyclist contested the prosecution and paid handsomely for that in prosecution costs. Was he represented? Does anybody know what line the defence used?

Is there anything more than supposition to suggest that the equestrian was somehow being bloody-minded by being there?

Does anyone with horsey interests have any links to how this is being presented in equestrian circles?

I pose these questions because I've taken this at face value: horse rider fed-up with inconsiderate road users gets a helmet cam and is on the receiving end of some inconsiderate road use. Horse rider reports to the police and gets in vastly better service than a cyclist might get in similar circumstances. Am I missing something?

Syd

Postby Syd » 27 Jan 2019, 8:28am

alexnharvey wrote:Although if they did they'd definitely be wearing a helmet cam whilst doing it.

I think Marcus is getting an overly hard time. If you knew a triathlon, running event or anything similar was using a route you'd probably avoid it for a leisurely cycle, run, trot or drive unless you'd no option. I certainly would.

These two things are not mutually exclusive. The cyclists can be in the wrong for their passing and especially for contact AND the horse rider can be a twit if they planned their ride through a race or saw signage and didn't think twice about the situation.

Most folk probably would, if they knew.

As everyone lives in their own little bubble focusing on their own interests, it should not be a surprise to anyone that people come across events taking place outside their fields or interests. We all filter information every day, mentally discarding those things that are on no interest to us.

pwa

Postby pwa » 27 Jan 2019, 8:30am

When I'm driving I often see yellow signs beside the road warning that the road will be closed on specified dates between specifies hours and, of course, I'm driving so I don't have time to safely read the details. The information goes undigested.

But the point remains, if the road is not closed it should be safe for all road users, and any road users who make it unsafe for others are, as ever, the problem.

Syd

Postby Syd » 27 Jan 2019, 8:43am

thirdcrank wrote:Does anybody know more about this than has been reported in the two links already posted?

The cyclist contested the prosecution and paid handsomely for that in prosecution costs. Was he represented? Does anybody know what line the defence used?

Is there anything more than supposition to suggest that the equestrian was somehow being bloody-minded by being there?

Does anyone with horsey interests have any links to how this is being presented in equestrian circles?

I pose these questions because I've taken this at face value: horse rider fed-up with inconsiderate road users gets a helmet cam and is on the receiving end of some inconsiderate road use. Horse rider reports to the police and gets in vastly better service than a cyclist might get in similar circumstances. Am I missing something?

Some comments from the rider in horse and hound.

https://www.horseandhound.co.uk/news/ou ... lon-656657

Rider was out hacking (riding her horse for some light excercise) at the time.

My horsey brother in law in completely oblivious to this story as his day is filled with work and looking after the animals in his care.

brynpoeth

Postby brynpoeth » 27 Jan 2019, 8:57am

-99 for undertakers going by on the inside, how stupid can one be?
I note with concern the suggestion riders should thank others who obey the law, -99 again. Both hands should be on the reins
Plus One for Syds note about perception
I do note some things that do not interest me in my calendar, mind, to be sure to avoid them :?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott

Bonefishblues

Postby Bonefishblues » 27 Jan 2019, 9:17am

I live in a village with many stables, and therefore it may be unusual in that drivers actively expect horses, ridden, led and all points in between to be on the roads. Courtesy is extended to and by both parties as a matter of course, as is a simple wave or nod of thanks and acknowledgement - invariably. I think that these things may all be related.

I gave away my right of way to two approaching cyclists last week. They took a hand off the handlebars and waved thanks. I too did something which involved taking a hand off my car's controls. We all lived and smiled at each other as we passed.

My daughter is having cycle training at the moment. One of the first tasks she was taught was to take her hand off the handlebars and wave as she passed.

As someone of this Parish might say +99 for extending simple courtesies to each other as road users :D

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 27 Jan 2019, 9:40am

Bonefishblues wrote:I live in a village with many stables, and therefore it may be unusual in that drivers actively expect horses, ridden, led and all points in between to be on the roads. Courtesy is extended to and by both parties as a matter of course, as is a simple wave or nod of thanks and acknowledgement - invariably. I think that these things may all be related.

I gave away my right of way to two approaching cyclists last week. They took a hand off the handlebars and waved thanks. I too did something which involved taking a hand off my car's controls. We all lived and smiled at each other as we passed.

My daughter is having cycle training at the moment. One of the first tasks she was taught was to take her hand off the handlebars and wave as she passed.

As someone of this Parish might say +99 for extending simple courtesies to each other as road users
:D

Therein lies the answer to all road users getting along safely together,however the cyclists,for there were more than one,that didn't extend that simple couresy,but acted in a stupid and dangerous manner could have resulted far more injury that it did to horserider other cyclists and horse.
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

thirdcrank

Postby thirdcrank » 27 Jan 2019, 9:54am

Syd wrote: ... Some comments from the rider in horse and hound.

https://www.horseandhound.co.uk/news/ou ... lon-656657

Rider was out hacking (riding her horse for some light excercise) at the time.

My horsey brother in law in completely oblivious to this story as his day is filled with work and looking after the animals in his care.

Thanks for this. I'd commend Syd's link to anybody interested in reading the equestrian's version. (Equestrian and cyclist used to avoid any confusion by saying "rider.")

Marcus Aurelius

Postby Marcus Aurelius » 27 Jan 2019, 12:31pm

Syd wrote:
Marcus Aurelius wrote:
alexnharvey wrote:Although if they did they'd definitely be wearing a helmet cam whilst doing it.

I think Marcus is getting an overly hard time. If you knew a triathlon, running event or anything similar was using a route you'd probably avoid it for a leisurely cycle, run, trot or drive unless you'd no option. I certainly would.

These two things are not mutually exclusive. The cyclists can be in the wrong for their passing and especially for contact AND the horse rider can be a twit if they planned their ride through a race or saw signage and didn't think twice about the situation.

It was a bad situation, no one came out of it smelling of roses.

Your opinion seems to differ from the majority of others.

I had a work colleague who was surprised to wake one day to find closed roads outside his new house (he’d moved there 10 months earlier) closed due to a very well established IronMan event taking place. He had been oblivious to the fact despite heavy publicity.

Why? Cycling, running etc was not on his radar, as it had absolutely no interest to him, so he unconsciously filter out what he saw as noise. Had a car rally been taking place on those same roads you could bet your house on him knowing and being very well prepared as motorsports were his world.

In this case I can believe the horse rider was unaware of the event. The rider still had every right to use the road as she would normally do. The horse was impeccably behaved only reacting to the one reckless cyclist who was quite rightly charged and appeared in court.

I can see both sides of the discussion. I don’t condone the cyclists behaviour at all, but it’s possibly explainable. I’ve seen street views of that bit of road, with the sun in the position it was in, its likely the cyclists didn’t see the horse rider clearly until it was too late, and what we saw, on the very cut down bit of the video supplied (which makes me wonder what was on the rest of it ) I suspect ( and this is purely speculation) it showed the horse rider going up and down the road a few times with nothing happening, and only the bit where the cyclists appear, where the desired / undesirable result was achieved, was posted. I understand that the horse and rider had every right to be there, but it’s like walking along a cliff face, you’ve got every right to jump off, it’s not the best idea in the world to do so though is it?

Bonefishblues

Postby Bonefishblues » 27 Jan 2019, 12:36pm

It is nothing like your cliff face analogy I'm afraid.

Paulatic

Postby Paulatic » 27 Jan 2019, 12:50pm

Marcus Aurelius wrote:[q

I can see both sides of the discussion. I don’t condone the cyclists behaviour at all, but it’s possibly explainable. I’ve seen street views of that bit of road, with the sun in the position it was in, its likely the cyclists didn’t see the horse rider clearly until it was too late, and what we saw, on the very cut down bit of the video supplied (which makes me wonder what was on the rest of it ) I suspect ( and this is purely speculation) it showed the horse rider going up and down the road a few times with nothing happening, and only the bit where the cyclists appear, where the desired / undesirable result was achieved, was posted. I understand that the horse and rider had every right to be there, but it’s like walking along a cliff face, you’ve got every right to jump off, it’s not the best idea in the world to do so though is it?
[/quote]

Does your speculation sit comfortably with the comments made in that Horse n Hound link? I can’t see it myself.
Last edited by Paulatic on 27 Jan 2019, 2:22pm, edited 1 time in total.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/

robing

Postby robing » 27 Jan 2019, 12:51pm

I'm glad they got a ban and a hefty fine. It's unacceptable. Yes, cyclists are seriously injured and killed by bad drivers but two wrongs don't make a right. And as for saying what was the horse and rider doing on the route of the triathlon - that's a bit like motons saying bloody cyclists what are they doing on the roads.
Last edited by robing on 27 Jan 2019, 1:27pm, edited 1 time in total.

brynpoeth

Postby brynpoeth » 27 Jan 2019, 12:53pm

Cycle races or RSOs race-shaped objects should not be held on public roads
An exception might be made for hill-climbs only
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 27 Jan 2019, 2:17pm

Marcus Aurelius wrote:I can see both sides of the discussion. I don’t condone the cyclists behaviour at all, but it’s possibly explainable. I’ve seen street views of that bit of road, with the sun in the position it was in, its likely the cyclists didn’t see the horse rider clearly until it was too late,

It's a horse with a person sat on top of it,how much bigger does it have to be to be visible?
Your poor excuse for these cyclists mirrors the poor excuses SMIDSY motorists offer after colliding with cyclists!

and what we saw, on the very cut down bit of the video supplied (which makes me wonder what was on the rest of it ) I suspect ( and this is purely speculation) it showed the horse rider going up and down the road a few times with nothing happening, and only the bit where the cyclists appear, where the desired / undesirable result was achieved, was posted

I believe it's termed as "relevant information" ie;the bit of video that matters.
I don't understand what you mean,an equestrian riding up and down the road would have no bearing on the incident in question,unless you're suggesting that the equestrian in question was riding up and down the road during the race as a provocative measure to cause an incident.Could you explain?

. I understand that the horse and rider had every right to be there, but it’s like walking along a cliff face, you’ve got every right to jump off, it’s not the best idea in the world to do so though is it?

No it isn't like walking a cliff edge,it's exactly like anyone using a public road to travel on by whatever means legally allowed and expecting other roads users to respect their presence there by affording them the courtesy they rightly deserve.
Using the road should never be like walking a cliff edge,though as a cyclist and in this case for this unfortunate lady and her horse,it has been like that.
There's only one way of looking at this incident and that is that a number of cyclists,three that I saw in the video acted stupidly and dangerously,one colliding with the horse and rider,the other two overtaking too close and at speed,which is very similar to the way a minority of motorists treat cyclists on UK roads
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

alexnharvey

Postby alexnharvey » 27 Jan 2019, 4:23pm

brynpoeth wrote:Cycle races or RSOs race-shaped objects should not be held on public roads
An exception might be made for hill-climbs only

Where do you propose to have them? There's plenty of room if we all exercise a little judgment.