"Police condemn appalling violence at cycle festival"

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
thelawnet

"Police condemn appalling violence at cycle festival"

Post by thelawnet »

Bloody cyclists? Eh what?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-m ... r-44511779

If you read the article you find it was an 'Eritrean cycle festival' and the violence was in protest against the Eritrean government, and had literally nothing to do with cycling.

But that doesn't stop nonsense headlines. Why don't they print 'Police condemn appalling violence at Eritrean festival' or to cover all bases ''Police condemn appalling violence at Eritrean cycle festival' '

More detail: https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk ... e-14793391
reohn2

Re: "Police condemn appalling violence at cycle festival"

Post by reohn2 »

I thought the same when I read it yesterday,on local TV there was footage of the event before the incident and there didn't seem to be much cycling going on either :?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
thelawnet

Post by thelawnet »

reohn2 wrote:I thought the same when I read it yesterday,on local TV there was footage of the event before the incident and there didn't seem to be much cycling going on either :?

Not sure if the BBC can be bothered to do proper research.

The poster here:

http://www.madote.com/2018/06/eritrean- ... -2018.html

says 'Celebrate the victory of our nation pride', and 'Eritrea Embassy Media' (which is the Eritrean government's propaganda outlet)

and there are pictures of various Eritrean musicians.

It does look it is a fairly straightforward propaganda effort on behalf of the brutal Eritrean regime under President-for-life Isaias Afewerki.

Not surprising that people would want to smash it up, tbh. But nothing whatsoever to do with cycling.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

The organisers call it a Cycle Festival. If the BBC put that in quotes it might appear they were attempting irony. I'm annoyed by silly clickbait headlines and when I clicked on this story it wasn't what I was expecting but whatever else may be said about the event, this headline doesn't look to me like the BBC trying to be sensationalist about cycling.

Cyclists don't have a monopoly on the word.
thelawnet

Post by thelawnet »

thirdcrank wrote:The organisers call it a Cycle Festival. If the BBC put that in quotes it might appear they were attempting irony.

I'm not sure BBC news does irony.

The quotes are mine, to indicate it's their headline verbatim. No quotes at source.

The organisers call it 'Eritrean Cycle Festival'. That's the name of the event.

> Cyclists don't have a monopoly on the word.

I wasn't saying they weren't cyclists - but in this case the violence has apparently been caused by the fact it's run by the dodgy Eritrean government and the UK has many refugees from said government, so you'd expect there to be widespread antipathy towards an event.
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

The headlines could be 'violence where Police are present" :lol:
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

thelawnet wrote:
I wasn't saying they weren't cyclists - but in this case the violence has apparently been caused by the fact it's run by the dodgy Eritrean government and the UK has many refugees from said government, so you'd expect there to be widespread antipathy towards an event.

Surely the violence was caused by the protestors ?
Valbrona

Post by Valbrona »

thelawnet wrote: Why don't they print 'Police condemn appalling violence at Eritrean festival' or to cover all bases ''Police condemn appalling violence at Eritrean cycle festival' '

The cultural Marxists who run the BBC and other media organizations do not tell truth. If they did, then the headline would have read 'Eritrean cycling festival' or 'Eritrean cultural event' or something similar, like you indicate.

It's about not showing any minority ethnic group in a bad light.

And Eritrea is no more a regime than is Britain under the cultural Marxists.
I should coco.
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

I don't see anything wrong with it. If it had been a theatre festival they would have printed "Police condemn appalling violence at theatre festival". If it had been a tiddlywinks competition they would have printed "Police condemn appalling violence at tiddlywinks competition".

Sometimes we can get a little over-sensitive.

Hey, it might have been a Wagner festival, he was the greatest Cyclist of them all.
Have we got time for another cuppa?