My London to Brighton experience

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
slowster

Re: London to Brighton concerns..

Post by slowster »

thirdcrank wrote:All I was trying to say is to keep your understandable exuberance in check at the start. It's a mistake most of us have made

Yep, we've all been there and it's common for people who take up other endurance sports, like marathon running. Start too fast and pay the price later, when a slower start would ultimately result in a quicker overall time. Often people start too fast because of nerves, adrenaline, excitement and/or a desire to get nearer the front to avoid the log jams of riders that can occur on the road in the first miles of the event.

Being self-disciplined enough not to do that and having the confidence and determination to ride at your own pace - regardless of what speed everyone else around you is doing and whether everyone seems to be overtaking you - is one of the key skills of riding these events successfully and enjoying them.

You've realised just how much physical energy you can save riding in a group or behind another rider. Being in such a group can also save mental energy and reduce stress, since it takes your mind off worries about speed, navigation etc. etc. (being anxious about the ride while riding is itself tiring).

However, as thirdcrank says, the classic mistake is to try to stick with a group that is just fractionally faster than you are comfortable with, especially at the start, because you think it will save you energy. Unfortunately the energy saving in that situation is not worth it, because you will eventually 'blow up' and then find that you are reduced to crawling along at a very slow speed for the rest of the ride.

The other thing to bear in mind with group riding on such events, is that you do not know how safe the riders around you are. Some of them will be much more experienced riders, some will be very safe and careful riders, and some will be dangerous because they will at some point behave unpredictably, e.g. crossing too close in front of you or braking in front of you. Group riding is also a skill and requires discipline: experienced riders can do it in close formation at higher speeds not only because they are fitter and faster, but also because they all behave predictably and in the same way. It's one of those skills you learn by doing - just like when driving you don't consciously think about changing gear etc., so experienced group riders don't consciously think all the time about how close their front wheel is to the rider in front. For inexperienced riders, cycling in close formation and especially at speed requires active concentration, and is mentally tiring.

What all that means for you is that you are safer riding in a group at slower speeds, and that even then you should keep a good distance between you and other riders to give you a margin of safety, and always be prepared to react quickly to someone behaving unpredictably.

All this becomes more important as you go further and get more tired, and the riders around you get more tired. The last hour or two hours of the ride is when people, including you, are most likely to make a mistake or do something daft, especially if they are inexperienced and/or unfit riders. So I would make a point of keeping even bigger gaps between me and other riders at that time, rather than trying to ride in close formation.

A couple of other suggestions:

1. If you haven't already got them or tried them, get some cycling mitts, e.g. http://www.halfords.com/cycling/cycling-clothing/cycling-gloves?type=Mitts&pageNo=1&pageSize=21&sort=we_recommend. The advantages of these are:

- they provide a bit of extra cushioning for you hands,
- they will probably help to prevent blisters etc. as a result of gripping the handlebar grips for long periods
- if you fall or have a crash, you tend automatically to put your hand out to protect yourself as you go down. The mitts can make a huge difference between a low speed fall being trivial and no bother vs. you badly cutting and grazing your hands and palms.

2. You've been doing largely non-stop rides so far. Even if you plan to do L2B with only very short stops, you might find it helps you to increase your stamina in the run up to the event by doing some rides with a longer stop midway, e.g. ride for 20 miles then stop for coffee and a cake or lunch in a pub, then ride another 20 miles home. As well as being an easier/quicker way to build up stamina to do 40 miles, this will also give you the experience of what it's like getting back on the bike after a longer stop and eating something, i.e. you will initially feel stiff and it will seem hard to get going again, but that feeling will ease a short while after getting back on the bike.
Last edited by slowster on 23 May 2018, 7:28pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alan O

Post by Alan O »

slowster wrote:2. You've been doing largely non-stop rides so far. Even if you plan to do L2B with only very short stops, you might find it helps you to increase your stamina in the run up to the event by doing some rides with a longer stop midway, e.g. ride for 20 miles then stop for coffee and a cake or lunch in a pub, then ride another 20 miles home. As well as being an easier/quicker way to build up stamina to do 40 miles, this will also give you the experience of what it's like getting back on the bike after a longer stop and eating something, i.e. you will initially feel stiff and it will seem hard to get going again, but that feeling will ease a short while after getting back on the bike.

When I'm on long rides I like to have a stop around every 20 miles or so, but only for about 20 minutes at the most and a light bite to eat. I also don't like to sit down for more than about 10 minutes at stops, and prefer to stand, walk around, and do some gentle stretches. If I stop for longer, or sit down too long, a bit of stiffness sets in and I find it harder to get back into a fluid cycling motion again - but keeping to my short stops I get going again before I've started losing my hard-won flexibility. Others prefer to stop for an hour and have a big and relaxed feed, so it really varies from individual to individual. I'd recommend working out a stop/feed pattern that works best for you ahead of the big day.
TheNissanMan

Post by TheNissanMan »

NUKe wrote:Give up, smoking, that will give you a 10% increase almost imeadiatley as your blood gets rid of CO, it takes between 24 hours to 48 hours. I say this from experience.

Definitely on my to do list but cant see it happening between now and the l2b
TheNissanMan

Post by TheNissanMan »

slowster wrote:
thirdcrank wrote:All I was trying to say is to keep your understandable exuberance in check at the start. It's a mistake most of us have made

Yep, we've all been there and it's common for people who take up other endurance sports, like marathon running. Start too fast and pay the price later, . . . .

Thanks again, have mits, bought the first set from Halfords for approx £5 which were OK but a tad tight (big hands) so tried some Aldi gloves for £3.99 which we a lot more comfortable...

Might see about a 40 miler but the trouble is finding the time to get it in as not struggling with times on a 20 with other bits going on, am pretty sure if I can do 25 I can do 40...50... Already tempted to do the Farnham 50 on my birthday weekend lol.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

what ever you do regard it as fun not a burden so treat your self gently
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

TheNissanMan wrote:
NUKe wrote:Give up, smoking, that will give you a 10% increase almost imeadiatley as your blood gets rid of CO, it takes between 24 hours to 48 hours. I say this from experience.

Definitely on my to do list but cant see it happening between now and the l2b

It might be easier if you set a date & stick to it. If you don't think it's feasible before L2B, do it the day after!
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
althebike

Post by althebike »

There is lots of good advice here. Slowsters post reminds me of " the man" Before I got married I did a fair bit of youth hosteling. ( mid 1960s)
No matter where I went, this man would be there. My memory exaggerates the reality, I think of this bulbous nose, smoking a pipe desperate dan would be proud of, a shopping bike complete with whicker basket, yet this man was always where he wanted to be, doing what he wanted to do, when he wanted to do it. There was no anxiety about needing to get somewhere else.
Sometimes when we ride we do the opposite, we like riding, but rather than enjoy the moment our thoughts are on getting to the other end.A cyclist may catch us up, start to chat, but gradually get faster and faster,and our legs feel worse and worse. Slow is good.
slowster

Post by slowster »

althebike wrote:Slowsters post reminds me of " the man"...

I see your "man" and raise you with my "woman".

It was the Dorset Coast 200km audax. I was on a super lightweight race bike with mudguards shoehorned in, and wearing all the gear (lycra bibs, race shoes for clipless pedals etc.).

On the Sandbanks Ferry at the start I noticed a young woman. It was difficult not to - not only was she young and rather attractive, amidst a sea of riders in cycling clothing she was wearing a pair of very short red and white striped casual shorts and a crochet knit tank top. I think she was riding a flat barred tourer.

I noticed her again at the first control. And the next one. And the one after that. In fact I saw her at every control looking fresh as a daisy, while I was increasingly suffering. I finished the ride feeling like Ronnie Corbett's character in the Two Ronnies' Squash Game sketch (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIOMECj0iQ0).
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

I hope you will report back how it went, assuming you didnt have a heart attack and die :wink:
TheNissanMan

Post by TheNissanMan »

mercalia wrote:I hope you will report back how it went, assuming you didnt have a heart attack and die :wink:

Most definitely with Strava and wahoo to prove it, or if it the latter the wahoo to prove that also although may be a tad harder to post lol. Must remember to have a look at the wahoo security settings after a friend told me he was watching me on my last ride and my heart beat lol...
TheNissanMan

My London to Brighton experience

Post by TheNissanMan »

So it’s the morning after the day before and fist of all have to thank everyone on this forum for the help leading up to the L2B.

As mentioned on my previous posts, I’m not fit, I get very anxious over new things and this year have only logged 199 miles on the bike including yesterday’s 54.6 mile.

For anybody in a similar position or considering a challenge after yesterday the best advice I have from yesterday is get a decent set of bib shorts and a measured saddle. The only bit of me not hurting after yesterday is my backside which I didn’t expect to be the case. After a trip to the Specialized shop in Newbury I spent £60 Ona Specialized Avatar which made all the difference and some Endurance Xtract shorts.

Two days before the race I started drinking more water than normal to keep the body topped up and on the day regular small sips of water, there’s plenty of stops along the way to keep water bottles full. I had three on the bike to start which in reality wasn’t needed as there was never an empty bottle...

Following advice on here I had a variety of energy in a small pannier, I didn’t stop long enough at the rest stops for a burger knew if I stopped i would get going again lol, again regular small nibbles and didn’t feel hungry once, I was surprised that I couldn’t eat a thing after the event although a bit peckish this morning.

The event itself was great, I started at 8:30 and although doing the ride on my own was talking to guys ild been talking to on Facebook the days before by chance who were in the same boat, arriving at the event it was daunting as there is some serious machinery and some serious bikes all waiting to head off, there are also some seriously unfit peeps who were as nervous as me which made it a lot better.

The first 8 miles lull you into a false sense of ease as coming out of the common in the drizzle it’s mostly down hill where with good tyres on the bike very little pedalling is required to keep up with the bulk of the group, I was one of the first of the 8;30 lot of the gates with the faster guys getting away quickly, me pooling at my own pace. One of the good things having done all training rides on my own was that I know what my pace was and as mentioned on here before didn’t want to start to quickly.

The first hills were ok as rather than hills they were long in lines which kept going, it’s amazing how much of the course was uphill for a beginner. The other hills, my best advice if your not confident cycling up them, walk, there is no shame in it and makes sure you have enough energy to get to the end, after all it is a marathon not a sprint. Best hill advice from yesterday don’t get too dismayed when you see the beacon for the first time, you come around the corner this mountain appears from nowhere, it is very steep, it doesn’t end, it is painful. I had to stop numerous times just walking up it to take 5, have a drink and go again... you do feel great when you get to the top!

From the top of the beacon it’s plain sailing, it was very windy yesterday so even on the flat at the top it still felt like you were cycling uphill but once your got to the top of the beacon your energy levels seem to rise and it doesn’t matter and you’ve got a long drop where if you have the bottle you can get some serious speeds up, I bottled it and was riding the brakes so sitting at approx 27mph.

The most painful bits for me were the 20-26 mile section where I was tired and wanted to quit, once your through mile 30 you know your getting close and the families in the villages with their tables our cheering you along help massively. And the worst part the final mile and a half, I seemed to pick up every light going through Brighton which meant regular stops and with the amount of walking had killed my cleats so clipping in was difficult, unclipping almost impossible. When you get onto the final section into the finish line energy levels pop straight back up and one big push to the finish line.

Although I know I am seriously unfit I feel I’ve accomplished something, and I’ve got the medal to prove it lol.

6 hours and 6minutes including the mile I rode to the start line and a massage booked later this morning, would I do it again, maybe, bout would want to do a lot more training first!

https://www.relive.cc/view/1645061077
thirdcrank

Re: My London to Brighton experience

Post by thirdcrank »

Well done for getting fit enough to ride this event, well done for listening to the all advice, and thanks for the detailed report. :D

Keep it up! It's very easy to let it all slip and then back to square one. And for your next target, ditch the fags.
TheNissanMan

Post by TheNissanMan »

I know the fags have to go at some point but after 27 years not easy (I know, excuses)...

I’ll have. Couple of days to recover and be back on the bike although need some new cleats as killed mine yesterday. It was still tough and could not believe the beacon, to people cycling all the way up I take my hat off to you, I was that out of breath walking up it was difficult to encourage people still peddLing...
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I've never smoked but I don't underestimate the problems of giving up. If you want to ride up hills rather than walking up out of breath, there's only one thing that will achieve that (and save you the money for all the new bikes you could ever need.) This might just be the right time to make the sort of determined effort you have made getting into shape these last few weeks, but with a different goal. Your choice, of course, but there's not much point agonising over the choice between flapjacks and energy bars.
slowster

Post by slowster »

Congratulations.

Don't stop cycling. Whether it's just going out for a casual pootle or building up the miles for more events like the L2B, keep doing it, and make sure you keep enjoying it. There are probably plenty of roads locally which you haven't yet explored, and you might enjoy riding on the odd bridleway too. You've got the rest of the summer and autumn to enjoy riding in warmer weather, and probably get even fitter without even consciously trying to do so.

Since you mentioned in your first post about stopping cycling last winter, give a little bit of thought in the next couple of months about what might help keep you riding next winter, so that you can start making plans You will probably be a bit fitter and used to more regular riding by winter, which will help. You might prefer to do much shorter rides in the winter, just to keep your fitness ticking over until spring.

Ideally you really want mudguards in the winter, but I don't know if there are any really suitable for a front suspension fork like on your bike (obviously you can post a new thread if you want to ask about that).

It's very possible that you will lose some weight by winter if you keep riding, so it might be best not to be too hasty about buying any winter cycling clothes. Moreover, even though you are wearing bib shorts at the moment, in winter you might prefer not to wear the very close fitting cold weather kit designed for road cyclists. I often wear walking type clothes in winter, including walking boots with ordinary flat pedals and a Goretex jacket or similar.