Cycling around lake windemere

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
foxychick

Cycling around lake windemere

Post by foxychick »

I am thinking of doing this route on a hybrid with 42mm wide tires, is this doable with this width of tyre and is the route very hilly, also where is the best starting point bearing in mind i will be arriving by train. Any info on distance in miles will also be appreciated.
geocycle

Re: Cycling around lake windemere

Post by geocycle »

Not straightforward! If you are arriving by train and sticking to the lake itself you have got a choice of direction. The route can be considered in 4 sections. Clockwise south Windermere to Newby bridge is reasonably quiet main route mainly flat, from newby bridge to the ferry half way up are small narrow rural roads with some short sharp hills, from the ferry to Ambleside is a long well surface off road section then rolling roads with cycle lanes, from Ambleside to Windermere is a few miles of horrid narrow busy main road before you can pick up a shared route along the footpath by Brockholes. I usually cross by ferry and make up loops on the east side of the lake toward coniston when doing day rides from Windermere.
foxychick

Post by foxychick »

Hi geocycle the car ferry that takes you across the lake is closed due to a fire, are their any other ferries that take you across the lake?
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

There's cruises that circulate round the lake. Not sure bikes are allowed on them though.
julk

Post by julk »

I used to live south of lake windermere at Flookburgh.
Cycling around the lake windermere area is very enjoyable but best viewed as circuit training given the rapid changes in direction and elevation of the local roads. The only really flat roads are near the coast to the south.
There is an excellent café at Flookburgh behind the garden centre - cyclist size portions and reasonable prices.
Be prepared to stop and enjoy the views in a lovely part of the world.
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

foxychick wrote:Hi geocycle the car ferry that takes you across the lake is closed due to a fire, are their any other ferries that take you across the lake?

sorry I didn’t know that. There is a bike boat route from the NP visitor centre at brockhole to Wray castle although check whether it is running. They may have put on additional services if the ferry is out of action. I’m not aware that you can put a bike on the Bowness-on-Windermere to Lakeside ferry. I suggest calling them.

https://www.windermere-lakecruises.co.u ... /bike-boat
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Where is Lake WinderMere please?
And how many lakes are there in the Lake District?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
100%JR

Post by 100%JR »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Where is Lake WinderMere please?
And how many lakes are there in the Lake District?

There's only one Lake in the Lake District....Bassenthwaite Lake :wink:
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Only one lake! Plenty of tarns, meres and waters, mind
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
100%JR

Post by 100%JR »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Only one lake! Plenty of tarns, meres and waters, mind

And one of the Waters is often downgraded to a Tarn!
gaz

Post by gaz »

foxychick wrote:also where is the best starting point bearing in mind i will be arriving by train.

Train services in the Lakes appear to be somewhat disrupted at present: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cumbria-44518052
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

If arriving by train then there are two options. Get off at Oxenholme and ride to the Lake or get the train from Oxenholme to Windermere and then ride to Lake.
(Currently, because of the train problems, there is a limited privately run "special" pulled by a diesel engine.)

There is NCN 6 going near Oxenholme onto Windermere town and down to Bowness.
The road around the Lake is approximately 25 miles and undulating all the way round.
There is a track runs between Low Wray and the west ferry landing. This is ridable on 28 size tyres and runs next to the lake.
If that doesn't float your boat then head for Hawkshead where there are cafes and shops etc.
From Hawkshead then to Graythwaite, Lakeside and Newby Bridge. From Newby Bridge the A592 takes you back to Bowness.

A lot depends on what you really want from the ride and there are some quiet roads away from the lake.
The west side is fairly quiet but between Bowness and Ambleside is usually very busy. There are parts though that have a shared path,
Is this just a one days jaunt or are you wanting other rides in the area. ?
You'll never know if you don't try it.
foxychick

Post by foxychick »

Only looking for a one day jaunt, if i use the 25 mile route is it on quiet roads?
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

foxychick wrote:Only looking for a one day jaunt, if i use the 25 mile route is it on quiet roads?

The 25 route is the main road around the lake and is only quiet in patches. The west side is the quietest but the part from Bowness to Ambleside is always busy. (There are parts that have the shared pedestrian/cycleway.)
From Ambleside through Clappersgate to Hawkshead is narrow-ish and not as busy. From Hawkshead to Newby Bridge is usually quiet and the section back to Bowness is generally reasonable.
Cars are usually courteous as most of the traffic is from visitors. It is worth a go but without the ferry there are no bailout points.
Check the ferry on their website.
Most of my riding in the Lakes has been off-road so generally the road sections haven't bothered me.
I have only once done the full circuit of Windermere but that was a bit back but I would do it again anytime.
Attached route is from Windermere town rail station.
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/27848764
You'll never know if you don't try it.
foxychick

Post by foxychick »

Thank you very much cycleruk awesome.