Close pass

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Ivorcadaver

Close pass

Post by Ivorcadaver »

I had a very close pass from an HGV this morning- about 18 inches at 30 mph+. It was a large well known haulage/distribution company and I got the regd no. Quick google search and I found the managing director's name, guessed his e mail address and sent him a message pointing out the error of his driver's ways. Spleen vented, I felt better and did not really expect a reply. 10 minutes later he replied, asking for full details and would investigate saying most of their vehicles were fitted with cameras. Let's see how it develops but my faith in humanity has been restored a little.
hemo

Re: Close pass

Post by hemo »

One of them there green hgv's of reality tv fame ?

Apart from the danger of the close pass the drafting affect is equally dangerous.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

hemo wrote:One of them there green hgv's of reality tv fame ?

Apart from the danger of the close pass the drafting affect is equally dangerous.

If anything the drafting effect is the more dangerous element especially as speed goes up.

By contrast due to a bit of exploring I found myself on a short stretch of A1 a couple of weeks ago.(just south of Blyth) Several HGV's passed me over the mile or so before I could get off the road, each of them passed me safely in the outside lane, it was of course the Repmobils that passed closest and with least care. It was mid morning so not a quiet time and apart from being grateful, I was quite surprised by their courtesy.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Ivorcadaver wrote:I had a very close pass from an HGV this morning- about 18 inches at 30 mph+. It was a large well known haulage/distribution company and I got the regd no. Quick google search and I found the managing director's name, guessed his e mail address and sent him a message pointing out the error of his driver's ways. Spleen vented, I felt better and did not really expect a reply. 10 minutes later he replied, asking for full details and would investigate saying most of their vehicles were fitted with cameras.....

I've found that some companies are very responsive (which is why I do bother reporting it). Sent in a complaint once (to a courier company) and had to put my phone number on the web form (mandatory field) and I gave my real one and literally a few minutes later they called me to apologise, seek full details, etc.

Not all are so responsive but those that are make contacting the companies concerned worthwhile.

Once had one courier company depot manager really "get on the case" deciding he'd also use their next Fri drivers meeting to lecture them on safety around cyclists and he also (said he'd) get other depots in the area do the same (presumably the other managers he knew). Of course I didn't attend so I've no idea if anything actually happened.

Ian
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

It does surprise you when a big company responds positively like that.

Not related but I complained to the CEO of Tesco over an incident at my local store that resulted in my injury. Venting really and expecting no reply. I got contacted within a couple of days by the senior manager at the branch and a senior manager a quite a few steps up the ladder a week later. Both asked me to drop into the store, at my convenience, to record the incident on their accident log, with the branch manager or duty manager if not present. They said that disciplinary action could only be taken with the employee of an official record of the incident existed.

Basically they wanted to sack the guy based solely on my statement. I didn't report it despite two more emails, but the guy did disappear a month later never to return so they found another way.

My point is that if you report something you never know what might happen. Ignore or overreact? Without reporting nothing can happen.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Tangled Metal wrote:.....
Basically they wanted to sack the guy based solely on my statement. I didn't report it despite two more emails, but the guy did disappear a month later never to return so they found another way. .....

On many occasions I have reported terrible driving but refused to give the registration plate. Sometimes I get the feeling that it is not so much the driver but the corporate expectation and pressure on drivers to do ever increasing amounts of word in ever less time. No excuse for the driver to drive badly but the motivation often comes from the employer rather the driver themselves. Hence I highlight a corporate responsibility and failing they need to address. And that has worked well on a couple of occasions (once with a courier company, once with a water utility company - though I had to give them the trailing 3 letters of the reg no so they could verify it was one of their vans as some of their sub-contractors have the utility company logo on their vans).

Ian
Ivorcadaver

Post by Ivorcadaver »

Had an e mail from the managing director on Friday, incident has been investigated; it was a sub-contractor who will not be employed by the company again. I have also been invited to visit their HQ and discuss vulnerable road users with the driver training manager. This unfortunate incident could not have been handled any better by the company. if the managing director agrees I will reveal the company involved. Maybe the messages around close passes are getting through.
peetee

Post by peetee »

You really must report this and follow it through. This may not be an isolated incident and the employer needs verifiable evidence before disciplinary action can proceed.
I have worked in a driving team for a big retailer and in my experience a bad apple on the tree can take a while to be found and pruned. For all that time the chances are the other good members of the team are aware of the miscreants behaviour but find it difficult to point the finger. It's an especially difficult situation if employees work in pairs and roles and partners change from day to day.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

I have worked in a driving team for a big retailer and in my experience a bad apple on the tree can take a while to be found and pruned. For all that time the chances are the other good members of the team are aware of the miscreants behaviour but find it difficult to point the finger.

Some years ago I got a close pass from a speeding lorry in a narrow lane. Shortly afterwards, still in view, he turned into a small business centre (farmer finding a better paying use for the outbuildings). I rode onto the yard but couldn't see the lorry. Someone came up and asked if he could help. When I explained he said "thats xxxx" and insisted on taking me into the boss's office to report it.

I got the distinct impression that they wanted this driver out :)
Ivorcadaver

Post by Ivorcadaver »

Blimey, world has gone mad.. was cut up at a mini roundabout today, gesticulated to make my feelings known, driver slowed lowered passager window and shouted 'sorry my fault'.
Airsporter1st

Post by Airsporter1st »

Sorry folks, I seem to be suffering from self-inflicted duplication of posts, today. Must do better......
Last edited by Airsporter1st on 28 Jun 2018, 9:47am, edited 1 time in total.
Airsporter1st

Post by Airsporter1st »

Airsporter1st wrote:
foxyrider wrote:
hemo wrote:One of them there green hgv's of reality tv fame ?

If anything the drafting effect is the more dangerous element especially as speed goes up.

By contrast due to a bit of exploring I found myself on a short stretch of A1 a couple of weeks ago.(just south of Blyth) Several HGV's passed me over the mile or so before I could get off the road, each of them passed me safely in the outside lane, it was of course the Repmobils that passed closest and with least care. It was mid morning so not a quiet time and apart from being grateful, I was quite surprised by their courtesy.

I think you have to work on the premise that the overwhelming majority of drivers would rather do the right thing. We only tend to remember those that don't - whether through a lapse of concentration, poor judgement (neither of which are excusable, but are understandable) or simple stupidity/cussedness, which is never excusable. When you consider the hundreds and thousands of motor vehicles with which we interact on any given ride, the percentage which fall into the latter category is pretty small. No consolation to someone who does get injured/killed, I know, but puts it in to perspective, I believe.
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

Psamathe wrote:
Tangled Metal wrote:.....
Basically they wanted to sack the guy based solely on my statement. I didn't report it despite two more emails, but the guy did disappear a month later never to return so they found another way. .....

On many occasions I have reported terrible driving but refused to give the registration plate. Sometimes I get the feeling that it is not so much the driver but the corporate expectation and pressure on drivers to do ever increasing amounts of word in ever less time. No excuse for the driver to drive badly but the motivation often comes from the employer rather the driver themselves. Hence I highlight a corporate responsibility and failing they need to address. And that has worked well on a couple of occasions (once with a courier company, once with a water utility company - though I had to give them the trailing 3 letters of the reg no so they could verify it was one of their vans as some of their sub-contractors have the utility company logo on their vans).

Ian

I've done the same. I told one company that they should keep closer tabs on their drivers' activities, and that I more than suspected from his reckless and dangerous driving that the driver was under pressure of time, which drivers should not be (it was not a company working in any 'emergency' area). I also pointed out that they had better improve their supervison and and training PDQ, as if I heard any of their drivers had been involved in an incident, I'd be pointing out to the police and their insurers that I had already warned them about it.
Antbrewer

Post by Antbrewer »

A recent incident unnerved me somewhat .......
I was overtaken very closely by a small white van as we approached some red lights. As we were stationary I tapped on his nearside window to explain how close he had been. The driver reached across and wound his window down and asked what I wanted? He then sat back up in his driving position and took out from his pocket a large open Stanley knife which he placed on the seat below the open window ....a few inches from me!!!!

I must admit this worried me somewhat . I said that he overtook me too closely and should allow at least 4 feet when passing a cyclist. He instantly apologized. I then took a deep breath and said that the knife lying there was a bit OTT. He then explained that he was a carpet fitter and he couldn't stretch over to talk to me with that in his pocket. He immediately saw that it appeared rather threatening so he apologized again and drove off as the lights had turned green by now.
I think he probably gave some thought to the incident. I know I certainly did.