York Rally 2018 - hit or miss?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
foxyrider

York Rally 2018 - hit or miss?

Post by foxyrider »

I've just spent an excellent weekend in the capital of GOC - great company, great weather and lots of happy, smiley faces!

My biggest problem is trying to do everything I pick out - well I failed miserably on that!

Did you go? What do you think?

My personal 'gripe' is with the catering - not the quality for sure but it was maybe a bit thin on variety (burger variants and chips) and whilst i'm not that tight, the prices were a bit high - maybe not for Eroica or Surrey but come on £4 for a burger in Yorkshire?
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
PH

Re: York Rally 2018 - hit or miss?

Post by PH »

I enjoyed it, just spent the one night. Rode up overnight as an Audax Dart, arrived Saturday morning. After a nap, got up had a decent coffee and a look around, chatted to a few people, didn't buy any cycling stuff, had a bacon roll, watched a bit of grass track racing, a nice pint, chatted some more, had some chips, watched a bit of the auction where decent bikes were fetching no money, met some who'd done the Audax Arrow, another pint, had a ride into town, came back listened to the band, chatted some more and another pint, wasn't late to bed. got up early for a part train/part ride home in time to be at work Sunday evening.
I didn't participate but the led rides seemed to be well attended and I spoke with some who'd enjoyed them. The trade was a bit thin on the ground, but what was there was interesting. Spa were missed, apparently kept away by illness, hope whoever it is makes a speedy recovery. I was going to listen to a couple of the talks, but it was too hot a day to be sat in a marquee.
Catering is a tough one, it can't be easy to find people to cover so many hours for what isn't that big an event (Compared to a race day for example) I've arranged catering for a different sort of event and the first thing the caterers want to know is what other catering will be there, it's possible they wouldn't get anyone without offering exclusivity. I didn't have burger, the £3 bacon roll and £2.50 chips is about what I'd expect to pay, The beer was decent and reasonably priced, again they put in a lot of hours and I never saw them really busy, hope it was worth their while.
So, hit for me. It's very much a Rally, a get together rather than an exhibition or show. I like the ride up, bumping into people I don't often see anywhere else. I'd like to see more trade, but it's never going to return to the days where it was the best place to display your product. I'm not sure how financially viable it is, I know they had some funding this year, don't know if that's available again. Hope it continues, I shall miss it if it doesn't.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

foxyrider wrote:I've just spent an excellent weekend in the capital of GOC - great company, great weather and lots of happy, smiley faces!

My biggest problem is trying to do everything I pick out - well I failed miserably on that!

My personal 'gripe' is with the catering - not the quality for sure but it was maybe a bit thin on variety (burger variants and chips) and whilst i'm not that tight, the prices were a bit high - maybe not for Eroica or Surrey but come on £4 for a burger in Yorkshire?

York has many great eating places a short ride up the road from the Knavesmire. Why restrict yourself to typical UK outdoor catering with so many better places to choose from.

For cheapskates the Wetherspoon pub The Punch Bowl is no more than a 5 minute bike ride from the rally site.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

pete75 wrote:
foxyrider wrote:I've just spent an excellent weekend in the capital of GOC - great company, great weather and lots of happy, smiley faces!

York has many great eating places a short ride up the road from the Knavesmire. Why restrict yourself to typical UK outdoor catering with so many better places to choose from.

For cheapskates the Wetherspoon pub The Punch Bowl is no more than a 5 minute bike ride from the rally site.

Last time is was in a 'spoon it wasn't exactly cheap and the chippy near the pub is even closer. The point you've chosen to ignore was that the onsite options were quite limited - if you are staying you can certainly find alternatives but day visitors don't want to be leaving the site to eat.
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
pete75

Post by pete75 »

foxyrider wrote:
pete75 wrote:

Last time is was in a 'spoon it wasn't exactly cheap and the chippy near the pub is even closer. The point you've chosen to ignore was that the onsite options were quite limited - if you are staying you can certainly find alternatives but day visitors don't want to be leaving the site to eat.

Not exactly cheap? You can get a meal with a pint for under 10 quid. A group of us all had fish and chips and a pint in the Wetherspoons on Friday night and it came to about 7 quid a head. If that ain't cheap what on earth is?

Not ignoring that at all - my point was that with such a variety of eating places only a short distance away what does it matter if there's not much on site? The on site catering was exactly what is usually found at many UK outdoor events, for example at the end of May I went to a large traction engine rally near here. Many more catering stands than the Knavesmire but all selling basically the same stuff so just as limited in choice and little variation in prices. In addition many, perhaps the majority, of attendees at the rally are campers/caravanners and , for the most part, do their own catering. This further reduces the ability of the event to support multiple onsite caterers.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

pete75 wrote: at the end of May I went to a large traction engine rally near here. Many more catering stands than the Knavesmire but all selling basically the same stuff so just as limited in choice and little variation in prices.

Except I doubt that's entirely true, there was almost certainly a baked tater stall, hog roast and dare I say it, even something for the weirdos who don't eat meat :lol: (just kidding, I know some almost sensible veggies.)

I agree that outside catering at UK events is appalling - expensive, poorly presented etc etc. When I go to events in Europe there will be far more variety on offer, pasta, soup, pizza, bun stalls, maybe multiple beer stalls even (and not selling at premium prices just because they have a captive audience).

And none of this serving out of a truck trailer that's so high you need to be five foot seventeen to reach the counter! Nope they will most often have a people sized stand without all the rubbish and mess that often surrounds these things.

If you feed the people well on site for a reasonable cost they will stay on the site, they will spend more money and encourage the traders to return - it's a win/win. Even those who cook in caravans/campers or otherwise self cater will be tempted to eat from site traders if they can get more than an overpriced burger.

Mayhap there's an opening for an enterprising caterer?
pete75

Post by pete75 »

foxyrider wrote:
pete75 wrote: at the end of May I went to a large traction engine rally near here. Many more catering stands than the Knavesmire but all selling basically the same stuff so just as limited in choice and little variation in prices.

Except I doubt that's entirely true, there was almost certainly a baked tater stall, hog roast and dare I say it, even something for the weirdos who don't eat meat :lol: (just kidding, I know some almost sensible veggies.)

I agree that outside catering at UK events is appalling - expensive, poorly presented etc etc. When I go to events in Europe there will be far more variety on offer, pasta, soup, pizza, bun stalls, maybe multiple beer stalls even (and not selling at premium prices just because they have a captive audience).

And none of this serving out of a truck trailer that's so high you need to be five foot seventeen to reach the counter! Nope they will most often have a people sized stand without all the rubbish and mess that often surrounds these things.

If you feed the people well on site for a reasonable cost they will stay on the site, they will spend more money and encourage the traders to return - it's a win/win. Even those who cook in caravans/campers or otherwise self cater will be tempted to eat from site traders if they can get more than an overpriced burger.

Mayhap there's an opening for an enterprising caterer?

There was someone doing pulled pork, baked tates, vegetarian and a whole variety of other stuff in the corner of the beer tent. They didn't appear to be doing much trade. Am surprised you didn't use them.
Last edited by pete75 on 26 Jun 2018, 2:35pm, edited 1 time in total.
PH

Post by PH »

foxyrider wrote:Mayhap there's an opening for an enterprising caterer?

It seems a pity to me that the only discussion about the rally has concentrated on the trivia of the catering.
There have been plenty of enterprising caterers over the years, if it was worth their while they'd be queuing up to come back and obviously they're not. Same with the trade stalls, many traders have been once or twice and decided it isn't commercially viable.
Things ain't what they used to be, a decade or so ago you'd have to squeeze into one of the several marquees, queue at the bar or one of the several food outlets. Last weekend I wandered in and out of the single marque that was never full and I didn't need to queue for anything. This was on a lovely sunny weekend to attract day visitors, I imagine it would have been dire if the weather hadn't been so good. That one catering van was open from breakfast time till early evening, had at least three staff over the weekend, would have paid rent to be there plus all their usual costs, it might have been worth their while but it wasn't going to make them rich. Everyone would like to see a better choice of food outlets and a larger number of traders, if anyone knows how they can make that happen I'm sure the volunteer organisers would welcome their contribution.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

PH wrote:
foxyrider wrote:Mayhap there's an opening for an enterprising caterer?

It seems a pity to me that the only discussion about the rally has concentrated on the trivia of the catering.

Quite right. Now if it were calling itself a food festival criticizing the catering might be valid but for a cycle rally :roll:
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Does any one who went want to report what there was there rather than the food that wasnt? the talks and demos? I went last year and went on a short ride with the Belles or some thing to a local ride where lots of planet objets d'arte. couldnt make it this year.
Last edited by Graham on 26 Jun 2018, 9:36pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: So . . .
Tinnishill

Post by Tinnishill »

This year was my spouse’s first visit. The first observation she made, a few minutes after arrival, was “I hadn’t realised just how very eccentric all this was”. The summary at the end of the weekend was “you couldn’t call this exciting, but it is all very, very, amiable.”

If you don’t live in an area where cycling is regarded as “normal”, then a visit to the York rally can be a big morale boost. We went on a led run on Saturday, on a suggested self-led run on Sunday and did some cycling sight seeing in the evenings. We ran in to the York Naked Cycle run, which proved very entertaining.

I would like to see more of this kind of non-competitive event. Our cycling organisations, such as CUK, Sustrans, LCC, Spokes and all the other campaigning groups should be encouraging their members to attend; the potential morale boost from being among like minded people is very worthwhile. More campers would generate more buzz.

Here’s some photos.
York fisher.JPG

York nkd.JPG
Attachments
York run.JPG
Agitate, educate, organise.
atlas_shrugged

Post by atlas_shrugged »

The British Human Power Club were at York and they had a marquee as well as some races at the nearby York University track:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/recumbents/

and more photos here:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/beqi/sets ... 7881124074

They were on the velodrome as well as the outdoor track. The racing was excellent apparently - I missed it unfortunately because of some lurgy or other. :(
Last edited by atlas_shrugged on 28 Jun 2018, 7:13pm, edited 1 time in total.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

atlas_shrugged wrote:The British Human Power Club were at York and they had a marquee as well as some races at the nearby York University track:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/recumbents/

They were on the velodrome as well as the outdoor track. The racing was excellent apparently - I missed it unfortunately because of some lurgy or other. :(

Did see some of the HPV racing as I did the Sunday afternoon run out to the York sports centre. Nice little bumble.

Food aside, I had a very enjoyable weekend. Just an observation - there seemed to be fewer families attending this year and although there were a couple of short family rides there wasn't really anything for youngsters on site. They are the future and whilst it's nice for us old fogeys to meet up over a beer and bemoan the latest technology etc i'd really like to see more efforts, not just at York, to nurture these future cyclists.