An intro: I'm New to Cycling

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
StartingOut

An intro: I'm New to Cycling

Post by StartingOut »

Hi Fellow Cyclists,

As my name suggests, I'm new to road cycling and am keen to get started with my new Road Bike. I will be going for my first proper ride this weekend from Barking to North Greenwich this weekend and was wondering if any experienced cyclists can give me some advice ahead of Sunday?

Also, is there a specific App anyone reccomends using for navigation as Google Maps is a bit flimsy?

Many Thanks in Advance :D
mjr

Re: An intro: I'm New to Cycling

Post by mjr »

StartingOut wrote:Also, is there a specific App anyone reccomends using for navigation as Google Maps is a bit flimsy?

I can't really help with the current state of that route but I usually load routes from https://cycle.travel/map onto OSMAnd~ when I need navigation. It's a bit fiddly and if it's too fiddly for you, I think cyclestreets.net has an app which might offer a reasonable choice for a new rider. In my experience, Google Maps is often a work of utter fiction about cycling - Streetview can be useful for checking junctions you're unsure about, but I don't use its directions.
Last edited by mjr on 29 Jun 2018, 12:51pm, edited 1 time in total.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Be aware of any one who shows an interest in your bike incase they try to steal it. Is happening more in London these days
StartingOut

Post by StartingOut »

mjr wrote:
StartingOut wrote:Also, is there a specific App anyone reccomends using for navigation as Google Maps is a bit flimsy?

I can't really hope with the current state of that route but I usually load routes from https://cycle.travel/map onto OSMAnd~ when I need navigation. It's a bit fiddly and if it's too fiddly for you, I think cyclestreets.net has an app which might offer a reasonable choice for a new rider. In my experience, Google Maps is often a work of utter fiction about cycling - Streetview can be useful for checking junctions you're unsure about, but I don't use its directions.

Thanks for the swift response :) I will give cyclestreets a try. I agree about Google Maps, the streetview is very helpful but the routes are weird.

mercalia wrote:Be aware of any one who shows an interest in your bike incase they try to steal it. Is happening more in London these days

Thanks for the advice, there will always be these types of people I guess. I won't be in a rush to let anyone 'Test it out'.
chris_suffolk

Post by chris_suffolk »

+1 for cycle.travel
StartingOut

Post by StartingOut »

chris_suffolk wrote:+1 for cycle.travel

Thanks Chris
Marcus Aurelius

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

RidewithGps and Strava are the go to routing / recording apps for most people.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Can't answer for the routing. However, what distance are we talking about, what mileage have done before? Are you properly equipped: spare inner tube / tyre levers / multitool? Bottles with adequate liquids.... suntan cream lightweight covering for back of the neck???? Comfortable clothing; shorts? Padding / chamois cream to prevent chaffing especially likely if you are sweating. Sunglasses.

Take with you bags of enthusiasm, be prepared to enjoy and on the downside... you will find yourself hooked into a new hobby and will be pennies poor and health rich...
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

I don't know the area at all, but cycle.travel suggests it's about 10 miles, probably much less as the crow flies, but you need to cross the Thames which seems to make for a detour. I should imagine motor traffic could be heavy on some roads so some planning ie looking at routes and maps before the ride would be advisable so you have some idea of where you're going.
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
Username

Post by Username »

mercalia wrote:Be aware of any one who shows an interest in your bike incase they try to steal it. Is happening more in London these days

This. Stopped at a burger van once. I was complimented on my bike and was asked how much it cost and where I live. I felt like telling them to **** off. Potential criminal activity aside, why do people often ask me where I live and whether I live on my own or with parents? That's my business and mine alone.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Username wrote:

This. Stopped at a burger van once. I was complimented on my bike and was asked how much it cost and where I live. I felt like telling them to **** off. Potential criminal activity aside, why do people often ask me where I live and whether I live on my own or with parents? That's my business and mine alone.

Ask them back
Tell lies :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Username

Post by Username »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
Username wrote:

Ask them back
Tell lies :wink:

Fair point 8)

Never been even remotely interested in such aspects of other peoples lives tho.