North West Moorland

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Jon Lucas

Re: North West Moorland

Post by Jon Lucas »

I don't have any expertise in this field, but this is my understanding:

Once a fire has got into the ground, as these probably have now, the only really effective way to put them out is concentrated rain over quite a long time.

Beating is the best way to deal with newer fires, and establishing breaks that the fire cannot cross.

Trying to pick up sufficient water and dropping it onto fires from aircraft is at best inefficient and generally futile. The best it can achieve is to dampen the ground for a short while, but fires will quickly reignite if it is hot enough.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Bonefishblues wrote:A huge Chinook might be very visible, but would be of limited utility in this situation

There are special buckets, designed for Chinooks that can be used to scoop & dump water. They use Chinooks because of the high lift capacity.

Fire departments in wildfire prone areas in North America have Chinooks, especially designed for this with thermal imagers to find fire through thick smoke.

It is better to use planes with water / fire retardant tanks, but for areas that are more accessible to helicopter than plane, Chinooks are often used.

Smaller helicopters are used for reconnaissance, and also for first response.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Jon Lucas wrote:Trying to pick up sufficient water and dropping it onto fires from aircraft is at best inefficient and generally futile. The best it can achieve is to dampen the ground for a short while, but fires will quickly reignite if it is hot enough.

Water can be used to prevent further spread of fire. Also, they can drop fire retardant foam or gel.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Vorpal wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:A huge Chinook might be very visible, but would be of limited utility in this situation

There are special buckets, designed for Chinooks that can be used to scoop & dump water. They use Chinooks because of the high lift capacity.

Fire departments in wildfire prone areas in North America have Chinooks, especially designed for this with thermal imagers to find fire through thick smoke.

It is better to use planes with water / fire retardant tanks, but for areas that are more accessible to helicopter than plane, Chinooks are often used.

So I now see. Sorry R2, I had believed them to be of less utility than mid-sized helis in that role.

And an amusing fact - the collapsible bucket they often carry is called a bambi bucket in the trade :D
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Bonefishblues wrote:
Vorpal wrote:

So I now see. Sorry R2, I had believed them to be of less utility than mid-sized helis in that role.

And an amusing fact - the collapsible bucket they often carry is called a bambi bucket in the trade :D

Deer me :wink:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
pwa

Post by pwa »

It has been raining steadily here in South Wales for about an hour and a half, so hopefully that's the end grass fires in this region for a few days at least.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Meanwhile it seems some are ignoring the signs. A request went out (locally) in the last 24 hours that closed roads / paths / access points apply equally to drivers, walkers and cyclists....and yet driving past the end of one of the closed roads, today, a cyclist was emerging from around the barriers...
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
crazydave789

Post by crazydave789 »

pwa wrote:It has been raining steadily here in South Wales for about an hour and a half, so hopefully that's the end grass fires in this region for a few days at least.

don't let on - we'll all want some.
pwa

Post by pwa »

crazydave789 wrote:
pwa wrote:It has been raining steadily here in South Wales for about an hour and a half, so hopefully that's the end grass fires in this region for a few days at least.

I was out riding. It had been warm again but increasingly overcast. I sat on a bench to eat a few snacks and have a break.

https://www.google.com/maps/@51.4576129 ... 6?hl=en-GB

One of my customary stops. Then I felt the first drop of rain on my bare arm. I'm sat there in shorts and tee shirt with ten miles still to go and I'd not bothered to put a jacket in my bag. So I finished eating my banana a bit quicker than usual and made tracks. Ten minutes later I was cycling in steady rain with wet clothes, but after the relentless heat of the last few weeks it was good. I could push on hard without getting sweaty. Of course I was drenched by the time I got home, but not cold.
crazydave789

Post by crazydave789 »

pwa wrote:
crazydave789 wrote:

I was out riding. It had been warm again but increasingly overcast. I sat on a bench to eat a few snacks and have a break.

https://www.google.com/maps/@51.4576129 ... 6?hl=en-GB

One of my customary stops. Then I felt the first drop of rain on my bare arm. I'm sat there in shorts and tee shirt with ten miles still to go and I'd not bothered to put a jacket in my bag. So I finished eating my banana a bit quicker than usual and made tracks. Ten minutes later I was cycling in steady rain with wet clothes, but after the relentless heat of the last few weeks it was good. I could push on hard without getting sweaty. Of course I was drenched by the time I got home, but not cold.

to use some of the modern juvenile patois - wel jel