My first Century

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Si

Re: My first Century

Post by Si »

Do you hop back on and do another mile, or do you put the bike away with 99 on the clock?

The first of course!
Likewise, when I did LEJoG it would have come to 999miles if i'd not done an inadvertent divergence down a side street :-)
tykeboy2003

Success

Post by tykeboy2003 »

I completed it in blistering heat in about 11 hours, starting at about 6:30am with a stop for breakfast in Whetherspoons in Oakham at about 11:30 and arriving in March at about 5pm. I had a visit from the p****** fairy in Leicester at about 8:30am.
foxyrider

Re: Success

Post by foxyrider »

tykeboy2003 wrote:I completed it in blistering heat in about 11 hours, starting at about 6:30am with a stop for breakfast in Whetherspoons in Oakham at about 11:30 and arriving in March at about 5pm. I had a visit from the p****** fairy in Leicester at about 8:30am.

It's true then, Mad dogs and Englishmen... :lol:

Congrats, now you only have to get back!
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

tykeboy2003 wrote:I completed it in blistering heat in about 11 hours, starting at about 6:30am with a stop for breakfast in Whetherspoons in Oakham at about 11:30 and arriving in March at about 5pm. I had a visit from the p****** fairy in Leicester at about 8:30am.

Plus 100! How many miles exactly?
Looking forward to reading a detailed review of the Establishment on the witherspoons thread :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
PH

Post by PH »

Well done!
If I recall it's a bit lumpy around Oakham, so probably not the easiest of 100s.
tykeboy2003

Post by tykeboy2003 »

foxyrider wrote:Congrats, now you only have to get back!

My good lady was at her sister's in West Dereham with my car so the return journey was a doddle....
tykeboy2003

Post by tykeboy2003 »

PH wrote:Well done!
If I recall it's a bit lumpy around Oakham, so probably not the easiest of 100s.

It was indeed, but thankfully from Stamford it was pretty flat all the way to the finish in March....
tykeboy2003

Post by tykeboy2003 »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Plus 100! How many miles exactly?
Looking forward to reading a detailed review of the Establishment on the witherspoons thread :wink:

101.49 miles according to my Runtastic app. I was waving my arms about like a loony when it clicked over from 99 to 100.....
PH

Post by PH »

What next?
How about giving a double metric a go? There's one coming up that starts just round the corner from you
http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/18-378/
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Reminds me of a favourite cycling story

"To celebrate my 90th birthday I decided to go for a ride. Did a loop, back home for sandwiches, then out again and home for tea. I realised I had done just 90 miles. Had some food, went to bed. The next day I was glad I lived in a bungalow. Now I am looking forward to my hundredth birthday"
100%JR

Post by 100%JR »

Congratulations on your first Century!
It's a good feeling 8)
I did my first Century in well over 30 years on Saturday 14th(well 104.3miles to be exact)doing a fantastic loop from Selby to Hornsea and back.Weather was hot and sunny too which was a bonus!I sort of cheated though as I was with the CC so had help :wink: We did the first leg to Hornsea at a pace which is a fair bit quicker than I'm comfortable with(averaging 17.9mph) and about 70 miles in I started to get a horrible cramp in my right foot :| I persevered stop/starting for about 15 miles before telling the rest of the group to crack on without me as I was going to drop the speed down a couple of notches once I'd stretched the cramp off.I did a very uncomfortable 20 miles solo but still enjoyed every minute.In the end I did it in 6:45 averaging 15.3mph overall and was only about 20 mins behind the rest of the group so I'm happy enough with that 8)
Cracking fish and chips on the seafront in Hornsea too!
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

cycleruk wrote:Did my one and only 100 miler by accident. :roll:
Good luck with yours.

Haha, me too, 1990 my first tour at the grand age of 21 :lol:
Accidentally bumped into the Tour de France on the 9th day after leaving Dreux, I had no idea it was on until I got to Versailles, hung around to watch the finish on the champs after trying to sneak through the barriers to ride down it (and stopped by a grumpy gendarme :roll: ) Afterwards carried on to where I'd planned to stay - small village hotel vum B&B just N of Paris but there were no rooms left! I hadn't booked anything throughout so found myself on the main road with the sun already over the horizon and no lights. arrived in Beauvais only to find everything shut, rang the bell of a hotel and got a room thankfully.

Checked the cateye digi in the morning and I'd done 104miles :shock:, it had risen to over 100F in Paris that day and never dropped below 85F throughout. Had a lovely 60 mile run to Dieppe on a back road that runs almost parallel to the D1
I never cycled that far again in one day but I might have a crack at home to my city of birth next year for my half century birthday, it's 152 miles though not too lumpy.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

The utility cyclist wrote:
Good luck with yours.

Accidentally bumped into the Tour de France on the 9th day after leaving Dreux, I had no idea it was on until I got to Versailles, hung around to watch the finish on the champs after trying to sneak through the barriers to ride down it (and stopped by a grumpy gendarme :roll: ) Afterwards carried on to where I'd planned to stay - small village hotel vum B&B just N of Paris but there were no rooms left! I hadn't booked anything throughout so found myself on the main road with the sun already over the horizon and no lights. arrived in Beauvais only to find everything shut, rang the bell of a hotel and got a room thankfully.

Checked the cateye digi in the morning and I'd done 104miles :shock:, it had risen to over 100F in Paris that day and never dropped below 85F throughout. Had a lovely 60 mile run to Dieppe on a back road that runs almost parallel to the D1
I never cycled that far again in one day but I might have a crack at home to my city of birth next year for my half century birthday, it's 152 miles though not too lumpy.

Think i've only tackled that distance once (as a day ride) and it was slightly more than lumpy! Yup @ 154 miles with 5500m of climbing around the Austrian / Italian border on a really hot day for the Otztaler radmarathon. Took me 13 hours and my sanity! I think it was enjoyable.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

The utility cyclist wrote:
Good luck with yours.

At the time our club President organised monthly rides. This one was "hilly" over the Bowland fells. Nearing home I had 85 miles on the clock with 10 miles to go. So I just needed another 5 miles and decided to detour around a few country lanes before the final push for home.
103 miles and about 4,400 ft of climbing. :P
You'll never know if you don't try it.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

My longest to date was 250 km around Eryri, quite easy, 49% downhill :wink: :)
Still remember baked beans and tea at Petes Eats Llanberis before conquering Bwlch Llanberis a second time :wink: