Scott broken cable lug

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Username

Scott broken cable lug

Post by Username »

Not as bad as it looks (actually it is). I was pondering over a new bike anyway.

That is my Scott CR1 2011. The lug holding the rear derailer cable failed completely. I had previously noticed the paint around the lug had disintegrated. Didn't think too much of it. I assumed it was just the paint deteriorating over time and that if it did fail, it would fail in the exact manner it actually did. I.E not a safety issue as it was not structural to the frame.

Now the hard bit is shopping for a new bike. I despise shopping, even for things I want but it will feel good when I finally ride away on a nice new bike!

I guess there's a moral in this, probably something about not ignoring disintegrating paint on carbon frames, or the plight of penguins or somethin. Anyway 7 years of good weather use and not sure why the frame has deteriorated like this. One of the bottle cage bolts wouldn't undo (was turning) so I just pulled it out, taking a small piece of frame with it. It did not take much of a yank either :shock: .
meic

Re: Oh bugger n bollox!

Post by meic »

You could do any number of different types of repair from high tech gluing to a large jubilee clip.
But sometimes you just have to accept you have had your money's worth and treat yourself to a new frame or bike.
Yma o Hyd
rotavator

Post by rotavator »

Have you checked the guarantee on the frame?
Username

Post by Username »

rotavator wrote:Have you checked the guarantee on the frame?

Yup.

Pretty useless as I do my own maintenance. I guess 7 years is adequate albeit not particularly great for the use I had.
pwa

Re: Scott broken cable lug

Post by pwa »

Would simple epoxy work? It is a small chunk of material with a relatively large mating surface.
hamster

Post by hamster »

Agree with PWA. As it's a carbon frame it will have been epoxied on in the first place. Araldite will work fine.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

One of the bottle cage bolts wouldn't undo (was turning) so I just pulled it out, taking a small piece of frame with it.

That's the disturbing bit, the lug can likely be bodged.

Get a frame made out of a sturdy material ;) :P
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Username

Post by Username »

[XAP]Bob wrote:
One of the bottle cage bolts wouldn't undo (was turning) so I just pulled it out, taking a small piece of frame with it.

That's the disturbing bit, the lug can likely be bodged.

Get a frame made out of a sturdy material ;) :P

Got a Ceepo Mamba 2017. Not a make I ever heard of and was considerably less than my budget but was the only bike I could find after looking online and in local shops that ticked the right boxes for me. It's still carbon but has no lugs as the cables are internal. Hopefully this will have a sturdy frame. The ride home was amazing!