I Need To Ping Slower Roadies, Incident One

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
NATURAL ANKLING

I Need To Ping Slower Roadies, Incident One

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Out today and I spy a roadie, they are fair game when I am training on my skip trainer, If I can catch them they are going too slow :mrgreen:
Had to put on more speed up hill and was just passing when.......................he tried to go right :o
Lucky he saw me and I apologised for not warning him :oops: , he apologised for not indicating.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Moodyman1

Re: I Need To Ping Slower Roadies, Incident One

Post by Moodyman1 »

Being slow up hills, I'm often overtaken by others. On the commute last week I cleared my throat and was on the cusp of releasing the contents to my right, when I noticed another two wheeler out of my peripheral vision.

I told him he was lucky I do frequent shoulder checks otherwise he'd have had a face wash. He thanked me for being observant and said he will try and whistle/cough the next time he's overtaking another cyclist uphill.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

You'd need to be going damn slow for me to overtake going uphill!
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
Out today and I spy a roadie, they are fair game when I am training on my skip trainer, If I can catch them they are going too slow :mrgreen:
Had to put on more speed up hill and was just passing when.......................he tried to go right :o
Lucky he saw me and I apologised for not warning him :oops: , he apologised for not indicating.

Was it at a junction? If so, the Highway code* says not to overtake at a junction.

Highway Code wrote:Rule 167

DO NOT overtake where you might come into conflict with other road users. For example
•approaching or at a road junction on either side of the road

It doesn't say you 'MUST NOT', so it's not an absolute, but it's likely that if there had been an incident, you could be considered at fault.

Not blaming you. I try to learn something from such incidents.

* https://www.gov.uk/guidance/the-highway ... 159-to-203
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Moodyman1 wrote:Being slow up hills, I'm often overtaken by others. On the commute last week I cleared my throat and was on the cusp of releasing the contents to my right, when I noticed another two wheeler out of my peripheral vision.

I told him he was lucky I do frequent shoulder checks otherwise he'd have had a face wash. He thanked me for being observant and said he will try and whistle/cough the next time he's overtaking another cyclist uphill.

I wouldn't say he was "lucky". Spitting without checking around you would be rather inconsiderate.
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
He was going to turn left from a lane with no markings into a "T" junction, but I only realised this when he moved further across
the lane (two way with hedges no pavement, no road markings, is a lane in my world) which was narrow enough not to warrant centre white line.
I knew the junction was there just assumed he was going straight on, my mistake, I will be more considerate in future.
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

Out today and I spy a roadie, they are fair game when I am training on my skip trainer.

Have to admit there's something about the roadie, clad in lycra,often pot bellied, occasionally carbon fibre mounted which makes it impossible not to overtake :wink:

Though wished I hadn't done yesterday; 25litre ortlieb stuffed with weekly shopping, 16 miles still to go, roadie behind me for a good 3-4 miles! Had to work at staying in front :(
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
He was moving a bit quicker than me, bare bike no accessories looked leaner than me too.
Me 60 Years, 25 kg bike, double pannier rucksack :mrgreen:
It happens :)
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

Vorpal wrote:

Was it at a junction? If so, the Highway code* says not to overtake at a junction.

Highway Code wrote:Rule 167

DO NOT overtake where you might come into conflict with other road users. For example
•approaching or at a road junction on either side of the road

It doesn't say you 'MUST NOT', so it's not an absolute, but it's likely that if there had been an incident, you could be considered at fault.

Not blaming you. I try to learn something from such incidents.

* https://www.gov.uk/guidance/the-highway ... 159-to-203

This, if not able to see by road position then at the very least apply the same rules you'd want a motorvehicle to do when coming past. I think observations are a massive part as well as respect, I'd say patience but it shouldn't even be that, just respecting someone's safety and also as they are in front their priority, to me a signal is not required, I'd rather a person was in control of their bike than a signal, if in doubt, wait to see what unfolds, anticpate given the surroundings as humans are fairly predictable. There was a good video on YT I watched recently where the driver was spot on, didn't risk an overtake up a hill, the cyclist was in too close to the edge and wobbling a bit due to the steepness. Car came past and still they waited as there was a junction, cyclist then wobbled into it absolutely shot. Lovely bit of driving 8)

I overtook part group of what looked like a small club.casual group riders on Sunday who were single file, I moved out to the centre line as I didn't want any following vehicle to overtake me whilst I was doing same to others, this was on a straight road with no turnings/gates to fields etc. Hello's back and forth as I came past. I got up to the back of the front section a little way on but we were in a village with parked cars, mini roundabouts etc. I held off a few metres and to the right as I like to keep an open/wide position (they were a little too close to parked cars but anyway) I waited until it was clear to get past, called out to the back marker before moving wider of them by about 1.5-2m from elbow edge (not the stupid centre of the bike rubbish that CUK promotes :roll: ) into the opposite lane, shoulder check before pulling back in.