How Do You Exit A Roundabout. Incident Two.

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
NATURAL ANKLING

How Do You Exit A Roundabout. Incident Two.

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Roundabout my entrance has three lanes, L is left, M is straight on, R is rest of roundabout for my entrance.
I enter at 1 O'clock ON MAP.

Left lane on roundabout is jammed with cars and I am using inner RH lane.
When I get to my exit at 10 O'clock ON MAP, I indicate and filter in-between two cars, exit has one lane, plenty of room and traffic is very slow / stopped.
As I move into lane blocking any car behind me, the car behind accelerates and blasts horn.
So (NO CONTACT)-
Overtaking on my inside or-
Hitting me from behind and or -
Accelerating on purpose from an almost stop and blasting horn, which the driver did.

Some people just don't like you overtaking them in rush hour, even though I was taking the correct action.
Until I entered the roundabout I was not aware of the jam, the RH lane was all clear so use it.

I know that and I sometimes use the left lane, but this is problematic with numerous exit / entrances.
In this case I would have to get into left lane early and risk cars using straight on M lane, which would be my lane as only two lanes here, I know that impatient drivers would overtake me on their exit, I risk being hit here.
Attachments
2018-07-11_000605.jpg
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
NATURAL ANKLING

Re: How Do You Exit A Roundabout. Incident Two.

Hi,
I could of waited on roundabout with left arm out hoping some one would let me in, hardly smooth flow of traffic and I would be obstructing other users of inner lane?
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

As far as I can see you took the route I would have which is the route the 'designers' intend you to use making this manoeuvre.

Using the LH lane is both incorrect and dangerous - the TI near me is marked on one approach as LH+ S and the adjacent exit has a collision almost every day - the other approaches are marked LH only and don't have the issue.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
mjr

Post by mjr »

Doesn't sound like you did anything wrong.

Twelve lanes in, four lanes out... has anyone guessed why it jams? :roll:

Does the white line at the top indicate some sort of cycleable area? And the zig zags on your exit a crossing? I'd be tempted to use even a mildly substandard surface there, leave the motorists to play with themselves and really upset them by turning right from a protected crossing.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
whoof

Post by whoof »

I would go around that roundabout in the same way you did. As a cyclist you can also choose to go around the whole thing in the left hand lane (HWC rule 77). I have never done this and don't think I ever will.

https://www.highwaycodeuk.co.uk/rules-f ... bouts.html
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
The white lines are on raised pavements with kerbs (meant to divide cyclist and peds on a normal width pavement of say 5')........but they are cycle paths................so you get on the pavement then you have to cross at traffic lights (not sure if that would be ok to cycle?) then you exit after roundabout with traffic.......

That's more dangerous to get on and off with busy traffic so I seldom do that, but I have used a wide pavement off view when traffic is jammed, the cycle path is on other side of busy road, you know the 90 degree exits onto fast traffic :evil:

Easier and mostly safer to act like a car when negotiating roundabouts etc, if you have the speed......

Any hatching is no mans land and you know that they are faint from all the traffic driving on it :roll:

This is rush hour and in the past I have had a car behind me on the RH inner entrance to roundabout....................I pulled away and they undertook me to go straight on........well wrong lane as there is a dedicated straight on lane in M..............sounded horn too :evil: Because I was in front and am more careful even as a car driver you get this too.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

You have lost me a bit here. You seem to have gone to a lot of trouble to explain how you negotiated a roundabout and attracted a toot of a car horn, but you seem to be neither seeking advice nor replying to somebody else asking for it.
:?
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
thirdcrank wrote:You have lost me a bit here. You seem to have gone to a lot of trouble to explain how you negotiated a roundabout and attracted a toot of a car horn, but you seem to be neither seeking advice nor replying to somebody else asking for it.

Sorry, well I was seeking reassurance I was doing things OK.
Sorry who have I not replied to?
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Sorry, well I was seeking reassurance I was doing things OK.

That answers my query. There was nothing in your OP that suggested to me you were seeking reassurance, which is why I asked. I wasn't suggesting that you were ignoring anybody, just that a post of the "This is how I do it" type is sometimes a response to somebody looking for advice.

Without your reply here, I was bemused as to why getting a toot merited going to all the trouble.
AlaninWales

Post by AlaninWales »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
thirdcrank wrote:You have lost me a bit here. You seem to have gone to a lot of trouble to explain how you negotiated a roundabout and attracted a toot of a car horn, but you seem to be neither seeking advice nor replying to somebody else asking for it.

In that case, have reassurance! You were using the roundabout correctly and the driver was just being a tool - there are quite a few of them about!
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

I'd probably stay on the outside of the traffic jam rather than crossing it (unless of course the outside was blocked)
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
brooksby

Post by brooksby »

AlaninWales wrote:
NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,

In that case, have reassurance! You were using the roundabout correctly and the driver was just being a tool - there are quite a few of them about!

Seconded.
mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

Most people have absolutely no idea how to use a roundabout correctly - you just have to be aware, make sure you're visible, that it's clear where you're going and prevent others from taking your space.

This became clear to me about 10 years after I started driving when I did a direct access motorcycle course. One morning the instructor took us all into a classroom and told us that whatever we thought we knew about roundabouts was wrong. He then spent the whole morning at the chalk board explaining how roundabouts are supposed to work - those with marked lanes, those with lights, those without. Which lane is for what purpose depending on the exits. What trucks, cars, bikes and pizza delivery boys are likely to to do or will often need to do. Which bits of white paint you're most likely to slip on, where the death zones are.
I don't think there was anyone on the course that didn't learn an awful lot in that session. Learning to be a motorcyclist dramatically improved my car driving. When I became a regular road cyclist the motorcycle skills of awareness, observations, evaluating each driver and using a dominant road position to protect yourself transferred easily (I hope). Whatever your ride or drive; learn to ride or drive something else - it'll make you better (or at least remind you that there are things you don't know)

That afternoon on entering a roundabout a car accelerated from behind me and was going to straight line the roundabout and seriously cut off the student in front of me. In the blink of an eye the instructor somehow got his bike stopped sideways across the exit of the roundabout, stared the driver straight in the face and put his hand up in a stop sign. I have never been so impressed*.

* - for god sake never try this.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

What you've done looks okay to me.

The only thing I might do differently is carry on down the outside (to the right of the traffic in the jam), if there's room and it's safe to do so.

I see no reason to join the traffic jam before it is absolutely necessary.

There will always be some aggressive or impatient drivers sharing the road with you.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
Yes, motorcycling tells you everything about driving / how to do and how not to do, I guess my experience told me what I already know about how some can treat even vulnerable users us cyclist.
Did road trials (on / off road motorcycling) for twenty years and have been motorcycling for over 40 years.
You keep up and can easily leave other vehicles behind, but are still vulnerable and you learn how not to not dump yourself on the road.
LEJOG in a day, but that's very easy :)