Close passes help

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Vorpal

Re: Close passes help

Post by Vorpal »

Username wrote:What I don't get is this; there is a limit to the amount of space on the roads, but absolutely no limit to people going for driving tests. Surely the only thing to be done is to block people from going for their car tests unless they can prove they have a good reason. This may sound biased, but there's no point in even having a car if you got nowhere to drive it. Our government won't do this tho, probably for the same reason Henry VIII refused to be nice to women. The bath is full now, turn the **** taps off!

Who gets to decide what a good reason is?
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Pete Owens

Post by Pete Owens »

The conventional way to match supply with demand is to apply the price mechanism.
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

Pete Owens wrote:The conventional way to match supply with demand is to apply the price mechanism.

That favours the rich. Justice would suggest the way forward is either rationing, or access according to need. It will be interesting to see which approach is taken if we run short of anything, whether it is food, medicines, or other goods, after we 'leave'. I suspect with a Mogg/Eton dominated government, it will be pricing, because they know they can afford anything and think the poor don't matter.
Pete Owens

Post by Pete Owens »

I didn't realise you could access the internet from North Korea.
Username

Post by Username »

Vorpal wrote:
Username wrote:What I don't get is this; there is a limit to the amount of space on the roads, but absolutely no limit to people going for driving tests. Surely the only thing to be done is to block people from going for their car tests unless they can prove they have a good reason. This may sound biased, but there's no point in even having a car if you got nowhere to drive it. Our government won't do this tho, probably for the same reason Henry VIII refused to be nice to women. The bath is full now, turn the **** taps off!

Who gets to decide what a good reason is?

The government. They are in charge of ruining the country after all.
De Sisti

Post by De Sisti »

Almost got knocked over a driver turning left into a side road. She only stopped when she saw
an old man with a walking stick attemping to walk across the side road. She had the termerity
to shout something at me. Sounded like; "You cyclists always decide when you want to ride
on the road."
Don't know what that was supposed to mean.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Pete Owens wrote:The conventional way to match supply with demand is to apply the price mechanism.

No, that’s the modern capitalist method.

In the first half of last century we had limited availability of food, we didn’t just put up the price of food - we distributed it as fairly as we could.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.