Just Four Events On My Bike Today.

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
NATURAL ANKLING

Just Four Events On My Bike Today.

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Started OK then went down hill all the way round.
1ST - Screaming runners.
My first meeting with this person started a year or so a go, a runner who was running on the tarmac down a lane with their back to me, rang my bell lots and then passed slowly.......they jumped to the side when they realised that there was other users of a public highway! Earphones worn by them IIRC.
Back to now, this person at every meeting screams at me........but I only am within earshot for a short time when meeting face to face, they are running I am on my bike so limited time to understand what they are screaming.
After a spell of not being abused verbally, I thought the problem had gone away, but no yesterday more screaming on a wide cycle path (shared signs) which used to be a bridle (very muddy) path, now tarmacked and wide enough for a bus, as they are on left I ride on left so we pass unhindered.

2ND - Stop Look Listen.
Seen this user several times, walks dog tethered and wears a florescent bib, walks on right on road.
No problem we talk passing with a few words, today they walk across my path at a junction, I look at them say 15 feet from me (travelling slowly as just cycled up hill and slowing for junction) as I am quite they probably think that they do not need to look, they did not see me and there are hedges both sides with no pavement, I nearly rang my bell I was very close, there are hidden entrances at junction, I assume they were walking between the two either side, one might be their house.
I passed quietly behind them they did not know I was there at all.

3RD - A "U" turn but not by me.
Seen this user many times and last year on hearing my bell looked and pulled right across my path :evil: They yelled something so I stopped, they informed me very robustly that this is a country walk (actually a shared path put in by a councillor and partner who cycle and train cyclist).
It ended with me suggesting we invite the press to discuss more, they were Stoney faced at that, I rang my bell as their back was against me they heard me and wheeled straight into my path, I pass such like they were any other traffic you meet on paths.

Today saw user and rang my bell like I always do. they pull across my path (WITHOUT looking first!) (they are on right side then instantly move to left?) I pass safely and on seeing me they say "Beautiful Bicycle".................... :? .................. :)
This is a shared path and signs have appeared to suggest "Cyclist Ring Your Bell" & "Dog Walkers Keep Dog Close" they are in a wheel chair self powered.

4TH - Most dangerous by far.
Entering a tunnel which is angled to the road so you need to be far left to look before you make an attempt to pass through, cyclist can pass easily and safely with another vehicle in opposite directions but not overtaking.
Two cars cannot pass in tunnel easy, so priority is my way, not when I am going other way.
Just before the tunnel, is dropped kerbs which are very visible and foremost, leading to a supermarket, mostly people stop at kerb and give a good look, this is very busy at rush hour.
Today I line myself up with tunnel and out of the corner of my eye I see a florescent wheel chair but no user, it crosses the kerb and all four wheels are on the road, I am very close and instinctively swerve right (one hand I always have on rear brake when I might think, mainly around town I might need to slow down, normally two hands If I know I need to stop anyway.
I only had time to swerve and shout "Whooooooahhhh"
The push chair was pulled back towards kerb and I noticed as I was along side now that a TOT was obscured by pushchair :o
Nothing in chair, they were trotting onto the road and was at last moment grabbed by adult.

I can only assume that the adult thought that they were still in the supermarket compound.................so did not stop at kerb.
Could of been far worse if they had made it onto road and I was a car.
Dropped kerbs but no ped crossing and hence no priority for peds, but you know people treat as a pedestrian area.......especially when there are coloured paths across road even when its a faded brown or cream.

Vegetation is growing very quickly at the moment (some paths are half width with hedges) and there is a hedge leading up to kerb IIRC, but I did not see hedge as I was concentrating on the tunnel........meaning the adult was walking quickly and I will have to see if hedge has obscured the kerb next ride.

There you go, make from that what you will, I can go several months without a single incident....
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Cugel

Re: Just Four Events On My Bike Today.

Post by Cugel »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
Started OK then went down hill all the way round.
1ST - Screaming runners.
My first meeting with this person started a year or so a go, a runner who was running on the tarmac down a lane with their back to me, rang my bell lots and then passed slowly.......they jumped to the side when they realised that there was other users of a public highway! Earphones worn by them IIRC.
Back to now, this person at every meeting screams at me........but I only am within earshot for a short time when meeting face to face, they are running I am on my bike so limited time to understand what they are screaming.
After a spell of not being abused verbally, I thought the problem had gone away, but no yesterday more screaming on a wide cycle path (shared signs) which used to be a bridle (very muddy) path, now tarmacked and wide enough for a bus, as they are on left I ride on left so we pass unhindered.

2ND - Stop Look Listen.
Seen this user several times, walks dog tethered and wears a florescent bib, walks on right on road.
No problem we talk passing with a few words, today they walk across my path at a junction, I look at them say 15 feet from me (travelling slowly as just cycled up hill and slowing for junction) as I am quite they probably think that they do not need to look, they did not see me and there are hedges both sides with no pavement, I nearly rang my bell I was very close, there are hidden entrances at junction, I assume they were walking between the two either side, one might be their house.
I passed quietly behind them they did not know I was there at all.

3RD - A "U" turn but not by me.
Seen this user many times and last year on hearing my bell looked and pulled right across my path :evil: They yelled something so I stopped, they informed me very robustly that this is a country walk (actually a shared path put in by a councillor and partner who cycle and train cyclist).
It ended with me suggesting we invite the press to discuss more, they were Stoney faced at that, I rang my bell as their back was against me they heard me and wheeled straight into my path, I pass such like they were any other traffic you meet on paths.

Today saw user and rang my bell like I always do. they pull across my path (WITHOUT looking first!) (they are on right side then instantly move to left?) I pass safely and on seeing me they say "Beautiful Bicycle".................... :? .................. :)
This is a shared path and signs have appeared to suggest "Cyclist Ring Your Bell" & "Dog Walkers Keep Dog Close" they are in a wheel chair self powered.

4TH - Most dangerous by far.
Entering a tunnel which is angled to the road so you need to be far left to look before you make an attempt to pass through, cyclist can pass easily and safely with another vehicle in opposite directions but not overtaking.
Two cars cannot pass in tunnel easy, so priority is my way, not when I am going other way.
Just before the tunnel, is dropped kerbs which are very visible and foremost, leading to a supermarket, mostly people stop at kerb and give a good look, this is very busy at rush hour.
Today I line myself up with tunnel and out of the corner of my eye I see a florescent wheel chair but no user, it crosses the kerb and all four wheels are on the road, I am very close and instinctively swerve right (one hand I always have on rear brake when I might think, mainly around town I might need to slow down, normally two hands If I know I need to stop anyway.
I only had time to swerve and shout "Whooooooahhhh"
The push chair was pulled back towards kerb and I noticed as I was along side now that a TOT was obscured by pushchair :o
Nothing in chair, they were trotting onto the road and was at last moment grabbed by adult.

I can only assume that the adult thought that they were still in the supermarket compound.................so did not stop at kerb.
Could of been far worse if they had made it onto road and I was a car.
Dropped kerbs but no ped crossing and hence no priority for peds, but you know people treat as a pedestrian area.......especially when there are coloured paths across road even when its a faded brown or cream.

Vegetation is growing very quickly at the moment (some paths are half width with hedges) and there is a hedge leading up to kerb IIRC, but I did not see hedge as I was concentrating on the tunnel........meaning the adult was walking quickly and I will have to see if hedge has obscured the kerb next ride.

There you go, make from that what you will, I can go several months without a single incident....

Your label "cyclist" is hereby amended to read "rambling cyclist" as in "on & on & on & on & ........ :-)

Don't be mistaken! I too enjoy a verbose ramble. Of course, I prefer writing one to reading another......

Cugel, manfully resisting a rambling, orthogonal answer twice the length of the OP.
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes