routesheeet reading at night

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
QUIST

routesheeet reading at night

Post by QUIST »

anyone any tips for reading a r/s in dark with no streelights?

I've tried headtorches and always seem to position the sheet too far back (ie in the bars)

Thanks in advance
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: routesheeet reading at night

Post by Mick F »

Never needed to, but if I had to, I would get it onto my computer and into iCloud, then it's visible on my iPhone - providing I've downloaded it to it of course.

Nice bright screen at night.
Mick F. Cornwall
Wanlock Dod

Post by Wanlock Dod »

A headtorch has worked fine for me, although I have always needed it pointed much further down than I expected. However, I have tended to have the route sheet either in the top of a bar bag, or in my hand (and stashed in a chest pocked), which probably gives a viewing position which is further forward of something like a maptrap on the stem.
Armorel

Post by Armorel »

I sometimes clip the route sheet to my brake cables with clothes pegs and then position a small light on the handlebars so that it shines onto the route sheet. Other times I wear a small headtorch on the inside of my left wrist so that by lifting my wrist I can shine the torch onto the route sheet.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

I've done the brake cable trick too but nowadays I use a GPS. Really worthwhile improvement IMO.
Vitara

Post by Vitara »

Head torch works for me, but getting the position of both torch and sheet is obviously important.

As already said GPS, following track and with backlight on is much more practical, route sheet then becomes a back up option.
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

why do people always have to come up with answers that don't answer the question. If the OP wanted to use electronic map devices they wouldn't be asking their question :roll:
This is a neck torch but possibly wrap it around your handlebars or headtube/stem https://www.amazon.co.uk/DOLITY-Night-F ... ible+torch
Other alternates are to get a handlebar extension mount and have it angled straight up and then wrap a small light around it, similar to a KNOG or one of these that takes batteries https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lezyne-Femto ... Swk3Fa9~uY You'd also have additional space for another light if required if tight on space.
Or something like this, maybe clip onto brake cables https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rolson-60736 ... SwLs5apmBB
PH

Post by PH »

The utility cyclist wrote:why do people always have to come up with answers that don't answer the question. If the OP wanted to use electronic map devices they wouldn't be asking their question :roll:

Because it's a forum, not a Q&A session and that's how conversations go, whether on the internet or down the pub...
See how we're now on a different subject all together? Who did that :wink:
PH

Post by PH »

Back on topic - I rode with someone a couple of weeks ago who was using a LED on a finger, I didn't get to ask if it was home made or something bought. Was working for them and I know they ride through the night often.
mjr

Post by mjr »

PH wrote:Back on topic - I rode with someone a couple of weeks ago who was using a LED on a finger, I didn't get to ask if it was home made or something bought. Was working for them and I know they ride through the night often.

Might have been a tool light. I think they're only a pound or two for an automatic magnetic one now (stick a small bit of metal in to turn it on) and it might not be too difficult to wire a larger external battery into the button cell compartment.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
whoof

Post by whoof »

I just Googled LED finger lights and this came up, a bit odd!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/VANTIYAUS-Fing ... ger+lights

There are also lots of these. At 50p for 8 including free postage quality is lightly to be poor.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Super-Bright-F ... ger+lights
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

PH wrote:
The utility cyclist wrote:why do people always have to come up with answers that don't answer the question. If the OP wanted to use electronic map devices they wouldn't be asking their question :roll:

Because it's a forum, not a Q&A session and that's how conversations go, whether on the internet or down the pub...
See how we're now on a different subject all together? Who did that :wink:

And because people can be open to new ideas. The problem essentially is navigating at night. The OP prefers to use a routesheet, which has various advantages in the day (cheap, light, traditional, recyclable) as well as disadvantages (usually needs access to printer, aero drag, can rattle, gives no idea where you are if you do go off-route, needs to be turned over from time to time, weight and complexity of sheets can mount up if used for a long tour). At night there is the additional disadvantage of seeing it. Various solutions have been suggested in terms of lights on head, finger, etc, but it is possible that - particularly if the OP is going to do a lot of night riding - the disadvantages might not start to outweigh the advantages (you're adding batteries for lights, the lights themselves - could forget them, could break, etc,). Similarly, a question on "cycle clips to keep my trousers clean" could be best answered by "chain guard" or "different chain oiling method".
pwa

Post by pwa »

Head torch directed down very low so that getting the beam close to the bars involves very little movement. I never use a head torch to light the road, so having it directed close in is no loss. A head torch used for such close work does not need to be all that powerful, but it does need to be able to angle the way you want it.