Cycle transport: train, car, bus..?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.

How do you transport your cycle?

Poll ended at 26 Aug 2018, 5:40pm

Train
50%
Private vehicle once a year
No votes
Private vehicle more often
25%
Hire vehicle
No votes
Bus/Coach
3%
Boat/Ferry
5%
Plane
No votes
I only ride my bicycle
18%

Total votes: 40

brynpoeth

Cycle transport: train, car, bus..?

Postby brynpoeth » 24 Jul 2018, 5:40pm

Prompted by discussion about cycles on trains
One vote, please choose least worst answer, the one used most
I fear car-cycling is very widespread and train spaces are of interest only to a few including LeJoGlers
Entertainer, kidult, curmudgeon
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we love life "597"

brynpoeth

Re: Cycle transport: train, car, bus..?

Postby brynpoeth » 24 Jul 2018, 5:43pm

I only ride my bicycle
Have taken it by car in the past
Train travel with a cycle is unattractive, luckily I need not do it

Rob Archer

Postby Rob Archer » 24 Jul 2018, 7:04pm

I don't have a car and where I can't cycle because of distance I use the train. Taking a bike on the train isn't the ordeal some on here make it out to be. Book in good time (a couple of months but no more than 12 weeks ahead as services can change). It's usually easier to book at a station rather than online as staff can book tickets, bike and seats at the same time.

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my wobbly bog brush using Tapatalk

hatless

Postby hatless » 24 Jul 2018, 7:06pm

I ride a Brompton, so train travel is quite easy. I put it in the boot of the car when I’ve met my wife somewhere and we’re coming home together, but train and bike journeys are quite common and often involve several trains. My shoulder aches after carrying it up and down lots of railway steps, though, and I hate platform alterations.

fionat

Postby fionat » 24 Jul 2018, 7:20pm

I take my bike on the train quite regularly. It's not always possible to book.

Mostly it works - main issues I've had are:

1) The hanging spaces on some trains - my bike was in one, I needed to get off, and the bike was blocked in by pushchairs and luggage.
2) Modern day version of guards van - despite booking he had the 4 bikes he said he was allowed, and literally threw mine onto the platform. I was not best pleased.
3) Booked train cancelled, next train already had max number of bikes (this at the start of our Lejog!)

meic

Postby meic » 24 Jul 2018, 7:30pm

One vote, please choose least worst answer, the one used most

The one that I use the most says it is exclusive "I only ride my bike"
Yet it does get to go in the car quite a bit as well.
Yma o Hyd

foxyrider

Postby foxyrider » 24 Jul 2018, 7:45pm

This is a fairly typical year so far

Train used for 10+ journeys
Car used to get to 3 UK sportives and a week long trip to a German event

I therefore voted train.

In other years i've used trams, ferries, coaches, buses, planes, hired vehicles and i've even ridden the bike!

Not being a driver there are still times/journeys when the bike just doesn't cut it - distance/time restrictions being the primary reasons. I did ride to York Rally this year, in the past i've done a mix of train/bike which is obviously quicker and if you take into consideration extra food to fuel riding, not actually that much more expensive.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!

drossall

Postby drossall » 24 Jul 2018, 8:54pm

Another daily Brompton commuter here. But I enjoy using the train to get to Audaxes and the like when I can (with a full-size bike of course). And yes, I use the car too.

brynpoeth

Postby brynpoeth » 24 Jul 2018, 8:56pm

One vote for boat/ferry, Plus One!

Tigerbiten

Postby Tigerbiten » 24 Jul 2018, 9:02pm

My normal "bike" is a recumbent trike and trailer.
This takes up too much room to go any public transport bar ferries.
If I'm on a long tour, I tend to use over 10 ferries.

It possible to get it in the back of my small SUV, buts it's a hassle.

So I tend to cycle everywhere.

eileithyia

Postby eileithyia » 24 Jul 2018, 10:02pm

I would use trains more if it suited my style of riding and or they went where I want to go at the time I want to go...

Today for example is complicated day.... we do both a road ride then go straight off to ride the club time trial, this necessitates having 4 bikes with us, and the requirement to drive from one venue to the other...
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 25 Jul 2018, 8:54am

I answered Car, but it's not that I drive to ride, but drive to get further away and out of bike range.

I'm still trying to ride all the roads in Cornwall, and still in the process of riding over all 77 bridges over the A30 between Exeter and Penzance. Next lot of bridges would be a 180mile round trip to ride, so I'll be taking the car down to Camborne to park up and then riding maybe 60odd miles to finish them off and possibly get some more new roads. I'll be doing this next week sometime.

I know that many people seem to be driving somewhere to go for "a nice bike ride", then driving home. I'm not like that in the least.
Mick F. Cornwall

Bez

Postby Bez » 25 Jul 2018, 9:07am

Depends massively on context.

Commuting by bike is either riding to the station and parking there, or taking the Brompton on the train, or occasionally doing it all by bike.

My leisure rides are just the bike from home.

Family rides, however, inevitably mean putting the bikes on the car.

whoof

Postby whoof » 25 Jul 2018, 9:41am

This year I've carried my bike in a car on three journeys, by plane once and by train once. The vast majority of all my travelling is done either by bike or on foot.

Vorpal

Postby Vorpal » 25 Jul 2018, 9:52am

I mostly ride my bike. I occasionally take it on the train. I have done so 3 or 4 times this year. I less frequently take a bike on a private vehicle. I collected Mini V's bike with the car once during this past school year when she fell ill during the day. I collected her & her bike with the car.

I was on a ferry with my bike once this year, as well. That's not something I've done much, but I enjoyed it & will probably make an effort to include ferries in more of my longer rides.

Before that, a few years ago, I took two bikes and three people (one was getting a hire bike) with my car up to the mountains for a weekend mini tour. We could have taken the train, but there was a replacement bus service, and I expected to be chaos. Also, we had to drive at least an hour to get the replacement bus service (complicated explanation), so we figured we'd drive the whole way.

I have also occasionally taken my bike on planes. The last time was a couple of years ago, when I bought my Geoff Smith tourer during a trip to the UK. I bought it there and brought it back with me on the plane.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom