Cycle transport: train, car, bus..?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.

How do you transport your cycle?

Poll ended at 26 Aug 2018, 5:40pm

Train
50%
Private vehicle once a year
No votes
Private vehicle more often
25%
Hire vehicle
No votes
Bus/Coach
3%
Boat/Ferry
5%
Plane
No votes
I only ride my bicycle
18%

Total votes: 40

Jon Lucas

Re: Cycle transport: train, car, bus..?

Post by Jon Lucas »

This poll would be more interesting if it subdivided between folding bikes and others. I ride a Brompton as my daily bike, so use trains for all longer distance journeys, and if necessary will also take it on a bus. I don't have a car and have no need or desire for one.

I suspect the majority of those who have ticked train are fellow folding bikers, but it would be useful to know how many are not. And how many folding bikers would revert to using a non-folder if carriage by train was easier.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Jon Lucas wrote:This poll would be more interesting if it subdivided between folding bikes and others. I ride a Brompton as my daily bike, so use trains for all longer distance journeys, and if necessary will also take it on a bus. I don't have a car and have no need or desire for one.

I suspect the majority of those who have ticked train are fellow folding bikers, but it would be useful to know how many are not. And how many folding bikers would revert to using a non-folder if carriage by train was easier.

Thanks for the info
I did wonder exactly what choices to offer
Can't modify the poll now because all votes cast would be lost
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
Jon Lucas wrote:This poll would be more interesting if it subdivided between folding bikes and others. I ride a Brompton as my daily bike, so use trains for all longer distance journeys, and if necessary will also take it on a bus. I don't have a car and have no need or desire for one.

Thanks for the info
I did wonder exactly what choices to offer
Can't modify the poll now because all votes cast would be lost

Can't you add a category without losing the votes?

I have to admit I haven't tried it, but I thought that you could

edited: nope. I copied this to the test board and tried it & you're right, it can't be changed.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

I should have thought a bit more maybe but it does get complicated, if one takes a bike in a car on a ferry
Besides, I suspect those who drive-cycle a lot are reluctant to post, confirmation bias?
I do try to think about the answers carefully in the hope of discovering The Truth

I could have more interesting rides if I took my bike by car, but I choose not to
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I mostly take my full sized bike on the train. I live in Norway, where I have to pay for the privilege, but It's handy to be able to take it with. If I'm going someplace wihtin easy walking distance of a train station, I don't take my bike on the train, but otherwise I do.

I also use the train to get to, or return from rides that would otherwise be too long for a day trip, or when I'm tired.

I've done the same in the UK on First/ Greater Anglia and C2C trains.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
feefee8

Post by feefee8 »

I mostly cycle commute. I forgot that part of that commute is on a ferry, which shortens the commute by about 10 miles each way :D :D
flat tyre

Post by flat tyre »

Mostly ride the bike. I join a club ride once or twice a week that usually starts about 13 miles from home, but a couple of times when the weather's been icy along the roads to the start I've taken the train. I've used a ferry 5 times so far this year (south coast river crossings and IOW) - the poll doesn't allow multiple responses. Came home from a ride yesterday that I used the train to get to and from the start of and I have to say that anecdotally there were more bikes on the trains than officially available spaces (only 2 available on one train and 4 on the other).
Armorel

Post by Armorel »

I like taking my bike by train and - fingers crossed - haven't yet had any problems. Taking the bike by train to somewhere roughly a day's ride away doubles the radius of the area I can explore from home (e.g. I can take the train for 60 miles and cycle home rather than doing 30 miles out from home and 30 back). Since I live in the centre of a city, it also reduces the time spent slogging out of the city to get to the country lanes. So I'm all of favour of bikes on trains.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Rob Archer wrote:I don't have a car and where I can't cycle because of distance I use the train. Taking a bike on the train isn't the ordeal some on here make it out to be. Book in good time (a couple of months but no more than 12 weeks ahead as services can change). It's usually easier to book at a station rather than online as staff can book tickets, bike and seats at the same time.

Can't book on trains in East Anglia except for the Norwich-Ipswich-London line and the only trains with half-decent bike provision are Thameslink (2 or 3 big bike bays per train with seatbelt-style Velcro-ended straps) which don't come as far north as originally announced. The Networker trains where you could fit two bikes neatly in the unused-side doorways have been refitted or replaced with ones (Electrostars) with narrower doorways that prevent this.

Then there are time restrictions through Cambridge and London that force you onto certain trains on the other side which have tiny bike spaces then overcrowded with bikes.

Maybe not an ordeal but far more complicated than it ought to be.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Having to book a place on a train is a big minus

Left my bike at the station yesterday, went on a train trip
Sometimes nearly all the Sheffield stands are occupied
Fortunately there is an under-used under-ground car park nearby, the politrickians are talking about turning it into cycle parking
pwa

Post by pwa »

Put simply, the trains don't seem to go where I want to go, for example Hay on Wye a few days ago, and I now hate using trains anyway. I'd rather not go at all if train is the way I have to get somewhere. So if I need the bike and can't just cycle there, it goes in the boot of the car.
Marcus Aurelius

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

I always used to only ride my bike, if it was a U.K. based thing I was doing. I’ve recently taken to using a train to get to event’s bases though. Sometimes with the bike assembled, and using on train bike racks, and sometimes with the bike bagged / boxed and unassembled. I’m in London for the ride London tomorrow, and this time I took the bike to bits and boxes it for the train journey, then reassembled it in the hotel. It’s proven to be a good idea so far.
softlips

Post by softlips »

Recently bought a Brompton for when in London or Edinburgh which I take by train. Take my road bike too for the Prudential Ride London. Also use the campervan or cargo transport it when doing sportives.

I answered train as that’s the method used most.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Train is winning, Plus One, only cycling is favourite mind, I am lucky I only cycle