First complaint about a bus!

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
foxyrider

Re: First complaint about a bus!

Post by foxyrider »

In my recent experience it's quite clear that the standard of driving is directly related to the operator. For example, Stagecoach buses all have cameras inside and out and a blackbox system which monitors drivers braking and manouevering. Any driving issues, can easily be investigated.

OTOH smaller operators rarely have all this technology and are quite likely to take on drivers dismissed from others - there is an almost constant requirement for new drivers by all operators.

Net result is that the big groups, First, Stagecoach, Blazefield group, Arriva etc will generally have better driving habits than the smaller local operators. (not always the case but very often so) It's quite noticeable in this area, big operators will sit behind you, private operators are always trying to speed down the lanes, cutting everything up on their way.

Having several relatives who work as PSV drivers I get it from their side too - other traffic cutting in on them, must overtake - sound familiar?

If I reported every incident i'd spend half my life just doing that. Having said that it does pay to complain, the better operators do track driver performance and poor driving habits are frowned on by management.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

In my area we have stagecoach. A monopoly. So drivers, good and bad, are from the same company with I assume the same cyclist awareness training.

That basically leaves it to the driver to be the cause of the good or bad driving.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Tangled Metal wrote:In my area we have stagecoach. A monopoly. So drivers, good and bad, are from the same company with I assume the same cyclist awareness training.

That basically leaves it to the driver to be the cause of the good or bad driving.

Maybe we are spoilt in the 'north midlands' - I can encounter maybe 6 or 7 operators on any ride (I reckon there are about a dozen within 20 miles radius), there are 4 main operators running in the city alone. Worst around here are TM Travel, part of the Trent empire - not keen on safe passing wherever they are!
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
brooksby

Post by brooksby »

I've been a passenger on a bus quite a few times lately. Bristol has a lot of bus lanes where bicycles are allowed. Have been horrified by how close behind cyclists some bus drivers think it's acceptable to drive, and how close they'll pass. Haven't reported it to the bus company or taken it up with the driver at the time because it's been on every journey I've taken.

It's weird: when it happens when you're on the bike, you presume that the driver didn't realise how close they were (or at least I do, being a charitable kind of guy). When it happens and I'm on the bus, so seeing it from the other side, you realise that the bus driver just really couldn't care: they clearly just believe that the cyclist is in their way.

On every journey I've taken, double decker buses have overtaken closely enough that I could have reached out and pulled the bicycle's brake lever; or been onboard a double decker following a cyclist who's taken primary, except the bus is probably no more than four or five feet behind the bike, which seems not to give room for manoeuvre if something happens...
boris

Post by boris »

We should make far more complaints about drivers than we do, and i have started using cameras since last injured, but don't expect the courts to do anything at all, and even if the police would like to they know they will get no support.

I have said this before

The bus driver that broke my arm by swerving left while overtaking me over a solid centre-line towards a blind bend was fined £200. The driver that shoved me under a van causing more fractures than anyone has bothered to count etc. got a £400 fine. Michael mason was killed by a driver who simply ran him over from behind and the met police , and , incredibly, a jury decided she was completely innocent of any wrongdoing because she said she did not see him.

Two cyclists are killed every week in this country , 20,000 injured per year ,almost all by motorists, the vast majority of events are the driver's fault even according to the police, and it is rare that the driver is punished . They say the average punishment for killing a cyclist is a £200 fine, if you get charged at all.