First complaint about a bus!

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Tangled Metal

First complaint about a bus!

Post by Tangled Metal »

Did my first complaint about a bus. No corroborating evidence so nothing will happen. Just got email saying my email has been passed to local operations office.

Asked if they could ask the driver why he / she thought it a good idea to overtake between two busy bus stops that are close together (2-300m I'd guess). I just happened to overtake as it was letting on passengers at one stop then it drove up sickly) quickly behind me and overtook. As it pulled in from the overtake it also pulled in to the bus stop in the same fluid movement. I just happened to be there with barely enough stopping distance because the driver had taken it pulling in.

I think it's kind of a left hook manoeuvre. Is that right?

Both bus stops are always places with ppl waiting to get on being in the run up towards skerton, Lancaster. Always ppl waiting for any bus to get taken over the bridge onto town. That close in I'd walk or cycle personally but that's just my thoughts.

So, was I right? What should happen next? What usually happens next?

BTW if anyone who cycles South down A6 to Lancaster a lot have you experienced dodgy bus driving? I find in order if worst driving first it's service 5, 55 and finally 555 which is manned by perfect drivers I'm not kidding.
AlaninWales

Re: First complaint about a bus!

Post by AlaninWales »

Rather than describing it as a "type of left hook", I would describe it as overtaking in contravention of the Highway Code:
DO NOT
overtake where you might come into conflict with other road users. For example

approaching or at a road junction on either side of the road
where the road narrows
when approaching a school crossing patrol
between the kerb and a bus or tram when it is at a stop
where traffic is queuing at junctions or road works
when you would force another road user to swerve or slow down
at a level crossing
when a road user is indicating right, even if you believe the signal should have been cancelled. Do not take a risk; wait for the signal to be cancelled
stay behind if you are following a cyclist approaching a roundabout or junction, and you intend to turn left
when a tram is standing at a kerbside tram stop and there is no clearly marked passing lane for other traffic.

(my bold underlining emphasis).
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

I had a similar experience recently. The driver wasn't even past me when he pulled in to the bus stop, leaving me no option but to stop, as I had nowhere to go. He seemed to take exception to the fact that I'd been tailgating him earlier down the road. I was actually just riding along and we were doing the same speed and I overtook when he pulled in to an earlier stop.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Reported so if anything happens I'll post. Think this thread will be quiet!
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

In London, you soon learn to ride on the right side of the bus lanes.
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
pwa

Post by pwa »

If you feel sufficiently harassed, complaining is definitely the right thing to do.

The bus is likely to have cameras, so there may well be evidence for the bus company to use when dealing with the driver.

I doubt that a driver will feel good about being hauled into the office for a chat about their driving, even if it never goes any further.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

A chat would be the best thing to happen I reckon. No serious sanction just a shot across the bows to nudge the driver to not act like that. It had the feel of a driver who was displeased with a cyclist overtaking then when parked at a stop. So a case of riding close to my rear wheel and a close overtake. The stop thing was entirely predictable conclusion of even trying the overtake. Not enough time to do it safely before the stop.

A part of me hopes there's no footage backing my version of events. I have thought of reporting bus drivers before but a part of me thinks it's his / her job. At least 3 events in the past would probably have be prosecutable if observed by police for example. That's the 5 service mostly perhaps another incident was with the 55. Mostly they're just stupid mistakes or complacency (bad in a big bus though).

This incident I just thought was a conscious decision that was wrong. Wrong in terms of not being necessary but wrong in terms of it having a feel of a punishment action.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Ive had a few incidents with bus drivers over the years,some of them very danger driving indeed and I've reported a few of the more dangerous and deliberate ones.
The last incident by a local company driver when reported,I was assured the transport manageress(who was the co owner of the company),got back to me after reviewing the on board camera footage,with profuse apologies and assured me the driver in question would face disciplinary action and a re-training course.
TBH,I've come to the conclusion that some bus drivers are bored out of their tree and cyclists get in the way of their auto pilot stop go mindset,so if they can get a cyclist back in their internal scoreboard mind they will.
OTOH I've occasionally come across some very courteous bus drivers when cycling.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

As I said 555 from the same company are always driven very well. 55 (this one) and especially 5 services are the dodgy ones I always watch. I don't like overtaking them when they're stationary. I prefer them ahead and away. However the route is such that some mornings we end up leapfrogging each other. Those days I don't like, make me nervous.
mjr

Post by mjr »

iandriver wrote:In London, you soon learn to ride on the right side of the bus lanes.

Then TfL or boroughs put blue paint or while lines down to try to mislead you into riding further left :-(
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Asst manager operations (local branch) has replied bus and driver identified. Supervisor going to have words. That's all good then.

Rest assured all drivers have cycle awareness training. Excellent. So that driver was aware of the vulnerabilities of cyclists but still did a **** driving move.

What point is cycle awareness training if it only serves to make the driver more aware of what to do to intimidate, threaten or harm cyclists?

Unfair? Probably, but let's be honest here such training is really tick box stuff so they can put it in letters or emails to placate cyclists when drivers simply drive dangerously or without care.

Still I'm OK with the email telling me they are having a word. It's going to be filed under "keep to attach to the next complaint against that bus service when it eventually is needed". It will not be the last complaint. The 55 and 5 services can't help but drive badly it seems. Next time they overtake and go through a pedestrian island constriction with me when there isn't the space I'll complain. Unlike the several times it happened in the past without he complaining.

I think your first complaint is a barrier you have to go over but every one after that is less of an obstacle. Or is that just me? Not that I'm becoming one of those types who complain at everything. One of those in the family I believe and they never pay full bill for any meal out. I don't agree with their attitude personally but safety matters is different.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Just replied to the operations asst manager. I asked if there was a difference between the older 5 and 55 buses and the newer 555 double deckers. Specifically whether the newer 555 buses had better sightlines or technology to aid driver sightlines.

I've heard that some bus operators have buses with cameras or sensors to see or detect what the driver cannot.

My reason for asking was because I might change my position around them somehow if I found out about a difference in sightlines. It's just that 555 buses are so much better around cyclists ime.

Was that worth doing? At the end of the day awareness cuts both ways.
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

Of course it was worth doing. At the end of the day it might save someone's life or serious injury.

Here in Glasgow the First Buses used to be averagely bad but they must have had some training, since in the last five years or so they have become very good - it is very rare indeed to have anything even resembling inconsiderate driving. The express, limited stop Citibuses on the other hand take no prisoners and you don't want to be anywhere near them, even in a car. Fortunately they only have a few routes and are not very frequent.

A bus driver friend told me once that if someone is sacked for bad driving, they can just get a job the next day with a different company, as no checks are made. :shock:
hemo

Post by hemo »

It's worth complaining because if the same driver is at fault regularly then eventually I would a ssume he will be taken off driving duties or even let go.
hondated

Post by hondated »

Tangled Metal wrote:A chat would be the best thing to happen I reckon. No serious sanction just a shot across the bows to nudge the driver to not act like that. It had the feel of a driver who was displeased with a cyclist overtaking then when parked at a stop. So a case of riding close to my rear wheel and a close overtake. The stop thing was entirely predictable conclusion of even trying the overtake. Not enough time to do it safely before the stop.

A part of me hopes there's no footage backing my version of events. I have thought of reporting bus drivers before but a part of me thinks it's his / her job. At least 3 events in the past would probably have be prosecutable if observed by police for example. That's the 5 service mostly perhaps another incident was with the 55. Mostly they're just stupid mistakes or complacency (bad in a big bus though).

This incident I just thought was a conscious decision that was wrong. Wrong in terms of not being necessary but wrong in terms of it having a feel of a punishment action.

Some years ago now I got into an altercation with a bus driver cycling home from work who had cut me up. After refusing to meet him around at the terminus I rode on and he then came past as close as he could get to me. I caught him up and the got into an argument with him again which got really heated and as we were arguing his fellow bus driver coming from the opposite direction decided to get involved and said he had seen it all and would go as a witness for the driver.
He hadn't of cause but I just gave up and went on my way fuming. After that I swore I would never get involved in such an argument again.