How to you take roadworks?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
awavey

Re: How to you take roadworks?

Post by awavey »

definitely always go primary, and yeah pedal like the clappers, but its much safer for you on the bike in a central blocking position as if you leave a gap some idiot will try and push past, but do expect shall we say not to be thanked for doing it by most drivers.

there was a set on my commute maybe year before as I wasnt riding with a camera then,that were up for near enough two weeks, only 100m or so, and immediately followed probably the same distance away by a roundabout, so there was no advantage whatsoever for anyone to try and overtake or cut through as theyd just join the next queue waiting at the next junction point, and yet I got so much abuse daily from car drivers for "holding them up" or from people trying to drive into me as the road works ended and I moved back across to the left, more than once as I moved into prime to go through the lights Id be close passed/cut up by a car rushing to get ahead of me, who I then followed on their rear bumper,so again they gained nothing.

but I actuallly had to change my route whilst those roadworks were there because it was beginning to get to how many times can you roll the dice before some idiot misjudges their punishment pass and really does take you out.

only time Ive had the lights change whilst I was still in the roadworks, was on a uphill section that was probably 200metres long, and it was from a standing start, and I was already knackered on that ride, and just hadnt got the power/energy to get me through I was probably on 3/4qtrs through it, and clearly there was no-one behind me as people just started driving towards me and I had to use the bank to avoid getting hit, I did complain to the council about the timings for that and they claimed to fix them, though I never went around that way again whilst they were still there to check
firedfromthecircus

Post by firedfromthecircus »

I always set up centrally behind the car in front as a normal part of traffic, which I am. I would never filter to the front at roadworks such as this. When the lights turn green I put in maximum effort to keep up with traffic. Unless it is a long roadworks it usually isn't a problem.
I did once have the driver in front of me through some roadworks take offence at the fact I was keeping up and he decided to brake check me through the roadworks! He refused to stop and discuss it further though. Perhaps he could tell I was less than impressed!
robing

Post by robing »

some good points. I think if it was a small number of vehicles say 3 or less I would be inclined to wave them past. I don't really want them breathing down my neck. It would be scary if no escape route though.
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

Depends on circumstances, but I would try to keep cars behind me. That way the green light jumpers are kept back and you cannot be accused of red light jumping.

It’s alright pedalling like the clappers but not every cyclist can do that.
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

You can always be accused of RLJing... I tend to point out that I don't have a reverse gear, whilst they do...

And that they have just entered a lane with oncoming traffic.
Of course if they were out of sight when that happened then I'll be as helpful as I can (you can usually drop into the coned off area if you're sensible).

I always remember touring (car) in the states when we told on entering one of the national parks that the road has some roadworks going on - the traffic lights had a 1 hour cycle*... 10 minutes green up, 10 minute delay for vehicles to clear the route, 10 minute green down, 30 minute delay (for work to happen). The times were well defined, so you knew when the lights would be green and targeted it.

*Deffo a 1 hour cycle, I think those were the timings
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Plus One, time for a siesta or extended lunch break :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Plus One, time for a siesta or extended lunch break :wink:

My guess is that they'd have laid on a pickup truck for cyclists to get them past that section of the road... it was definitely one lane only for the duration - and the 10 minute 'intergreen' wasn't exactly over generous for cars IIRC.

Mind you the way I was going it was also very much uphill!
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.