Over Severn bridge advice

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Redvee

Re: Over Severn bridge advice

Post by Redvee »

Another little know option if you want to avoid going round the roundabout is to get to the roundabout and go straight on along the B4461 then take a left turn and go under the M48 onto Sandy Lane then through the village and across A403 to the access road for the south side of the bridge.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.59540 ... !1e3?hl=en
Jon Lucas

Post by Jon Lucas »

Grandad wrote:Many years ago, before the second bridge was built, I rode a 400k audax that started from the service station - the original one right beside the bridge.

The pre ride instructions warned of the need to be careful when riding under the raised barrier where the cycle path (which was also th bridge service road) started. Apparently it had descended whilst a cyclist was going through causing fatal head injuries,

Yes I remember that happening, and have been very wary when cycling under any raised barrier ever since then.

It's worth being aware that both cyclepaths aren't always available to use. When maintenance works are taking place, or there is a need to get a vehicle onto the bridge, one of the paths may be closed to the public.

My best memory of crossing the bridge was stopping in the middle on the south side to look downstream at a double rainbow stretching right across the horizon. It was quite spectacular, but I did then get soaked within a few seconds!
rjb

Post by rjb »

Jon Lucas wrote:
Grandad wrote:Many years ago, before the second bridge was built, I rode a 400k audax that started from the service station - the original one right beside the bridge.

The pre ride instructions warned of the need to be careful when riding under the raised barrier where the cycle path (which was also th bridge service road) started. Apparently it had descended whilst a cyclist was going through causing fatal head injuries,

Yes I remember that happening, and have been very wary when cycling under any raised barrier ever since then.

It's worth being aware that both cyclepaths aren't always available to use. When maintenance works are taking place, or there is a need to get a vehicle onto the bridge, one of the paths may be closed to the public.

My best memory of crossing the bridge was stopping in the middle on the south side to look downstream at a double rainbow stretching right across the horizon. It was quite spectacular, but I did then get soaked within a few seconds!

I remember that incident. At the inquest it became clear that the tollbooth operator who closed the barrier was unable to see the boom. I havent used the crossing for some years but would be very surprised if it has not been modified to prevent a reoccurance of this tragic incidence.

see this later post. viewtopic.php?t=103548

BTW i may have ridden the same audax, Severn Bridge to Newquay and back to Chepstow, one of Nick Peregrines. 1991 :D
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

BTW i may have ridden the same audax, Severn Bridge to Newquay and back to Chepstow, one of Nick Peregrines. 1991 :D

Sounds like the same route, mine was the Brevet Cymru in 1996.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

There are paths on both sides of the Bridge. Both paths can be ridden (or walked) in both directions. I'd recommend using the north-side path in both directions, as the southern one brings you out on the Welsh side at an underpass which is usually glass strewn and unpleasant. It is useful if you want to access the industrial estate immediately south of the Bridge or the housing immediately to the north but not so good if you want Chepstow itself or anywhere further into Wales.
hayers

Post by hayers »

The North side is, in prevailing conditions, more sheltered from the wind - which can feel like hard work at the end of a long ride!