Distracted drivers

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
peetee

Re: Distracted drivers

Post by peetee »

tykeboy2003 wrote:One morning whilst on the M42 between J11 and J10 (2, lanes full of vehicles doing about 60mph), I happened to glance to my right to see a bloke shaving. He was using both hands, using the driving mirror as a shaving mirror and steering with his knee.....

One evening driving home on the M20 I followed a car for about 10 miles curious as to why the driver had such a strange shaped head. Eventually the car left the motorway and as it slowed and I passed I could see that stuck to the windscreen right in front of the drivers face was a large parking fine notification.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
random37

Post by random37 »

Distracted is the new drunk.

A few months ago, I was crossing a busy road at a pelican crossing, and a woman staring at her phone started edging towards me.

I smacked her car bonnet really hard and said she'd nearly run me over. She jumped out of her skin. Served her right.

Phones are bad for a lot of people. I don't see why the developers of phones can't accept responsibility for that, and find a technological way to prevent distracted driving.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

random37 wrote:Distracted is the new drunk.

A few months ago, I was crossing a busy road at a pelican crossing, and a woman staring at her phone started edging towards me.

I smacked her car bonnet really hard and said she'd nearly run me over. She jumped out of her skin. Served her right.

Phones are bad for a lot of people. I don't see why the developers of phones can't accept responsibility for that, and find a technological way to prevent distracted driving.

There are.

I have a company iPhone. I selected the 'do not disturb whilst driving' option during set-up. It knows when I'm driving, it doesn't disturb me. If I wanted to use the phone I would have to state that I am not driving before it would make or receive calls, alerts etc.

Make compulsory/default.

There would be a no-cost measure that would have an immediate impact (excuse the pun).
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

No need for that, one can just switch the ***** thing off

The police plan to employ vigilantes to catch the motons, I shall be applying :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Cyril Haearn wrote:No need for that, one can just switch the ***** thing off

The police plan to employ vigilantes to catch the motons, I shall be applying :wink:

There is actually a lot of evidence that switching it off is good for your mental health.

Companies should (with certain exceptions such as "on call" not expect you to answer your phone day and night, evenings, lunchtimes or whilst driving
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

That's right. No need at all. A real step forward.

Now we just need to get everyone to do that.

Exactly how, please?
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Bonefishblues wrote:

Exactly how, please?

Economists talk about controlling demand through pricing, communication is much too cheap now, might that be worth a try? :?
Just reading about 1989 again, I believe the impossible is possible
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Bonefishblues wrote:

Exactly how, please?

The increased use and acceptance of video footage from dash cams is a prime example.

Obviously influenced by industry but the Natioonal Dash Cam Safety Portal is growing with many police forces already belonging, and also more (reportedly) joining

I have used it successfully
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

So in summary a technical solution already exists which could be applied to every single mobile, but we'll ignore that in the hope that another technical solution can provide a method which will allow us to police things for the Police?

How exactly does a dashcam detect that a phone is switched on in a car, as opposed to being switched off - assuming that such prohibition would pass into legislation?
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:

Exactly how, please?

Economists talk about controlling demand through pricing, communication is much too cheap now, might that be worth a try? :?
Just reading about 1989 again, I believe the impossible is possible

How do you reconcile that with the £1000 iPhone, I wonder?

I ask again, how might you police such prohibition?
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Two or more cops observing vehicles at the lights and catching the idiots red-handed
As easy as gathering rotten fruit in the autumn
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Two or more cops observing vehicles at the lights and catching the idiots red-handed

How do they observe whether a phone is switched on but not being used?
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Bonefishblues wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:Two or more cops observing vehicles at the lights and catching the idiots red-handed

They would see where drivers were holding phones to their ears, that would be plenty to start with
When the media reported that thousands had lost their licences the others would be terrified of being disqualified, sales of the HC would rocket..
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:

They would see where drivers were holding phones to their ears, that would be plenty to start with
When the media reported that thousands had lost their licences the others would be terrified of being disqualified, sales of the HC would rocket..

So something completely different, I guess you don't have a solution to offer? Perhaps we might usefully re-examine my existing technology suggested solution as opposed to going into the realms of the unachievable?
Apropos of your idea, then yes, you would indeed catch the terminally stupid phone users I suppose. I wonder if the return on investment would justify it? Dashcam footage would be a more cost effective method, assuming that one could overcome the issue of identification of the driver (I am reminded of that awful incident in, IIRC, Nottingham where there was rear cycle cam footage of the driver who deliberately crashed into the cyclist, yet still a prosecution didn't ensue)
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

I keep my phone on when driving, as I have relatives who may need to contact me in an emergency, due to illness. If it rings, I ignore it, but look a safe and legal place to park, then check the phone to see what it was about. I can't see anything wrong with that. I should add that I don't make the number generally known, it's just family and emergencies, so I almost never get a call on it. I don't have hands-free because it is statistically very nearly as distracting as if you hold one. And I make a principle of never having the phone within reach when I'm driving, even if I am using it as a satnav. I never touch it or interact with it except when parked.