Very cyclist unfriendly

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
reohn2

Re: Very cyclist unfriendly

Post by reohn2 »

Another term would be "nutter"
I hope he's caught PDQ before he causes any more trouble
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
peetee

Post by peetee »

There is another helmet cam clip online of the same incident which shows a cyclist riding around that car and other cyclists and through a red light. While I don't condone the behaviour of the driver in any way, we all know that there are people out there with that sort of attitude and riding through a red light is one way to attract their attention.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
flat tyre

Post by flat tyre »

peetee wrote:There is another helmet cam clip online of the same incident which shows a cyclist riding around that car and other cyclists and through a red light. While I don't condone the behaviour of the driver in any way, we all know that there are people out there with that sort of attitude and riding through a red light is one way to attract their attention.

I don't think you need to ride through a red light to attract the attention of cyclist hating sociopaths. I have been shocked recently by the vehement abuse I've received for the mere offence of being on a bike. I may have noticed it more recently as due to the hot weather many drivers have their windows open.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

I also wonder how many drivers abuse other drivers who RLJ,the answer is self evidently non,because they don't see them again as they're long gone,whereas cyclists are easy targets to catch up with and abuse.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
peetee

Post by peetee »

On more than one occasion I have said a few words to vehicular red light jumpers but, sealed as they are in their cosy tin boxes and by then somewhat further up the road than I, the words fall on 'deaf' ears.
pliptrot

Post by pliptrot »

peetee wrote:There is another helmet cam clip online of the same incident which shows a cyclist riding around that car and other cyclists and through a red light. While I don't condone the behaviour of the driver in any way, we all know that there are people out there with that sort of attitude and riding through a red light is one way to attract their attention.
Happens by the thousand in Germany. Motorists and pedestrians are incredibly patient.

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my SM-G900F using hovercraft full of eels.
Bez

Post by Bez »

Hmm
peetee

Post by peetee »

Care to elaborate, Bez?
Bez

Post by Bez »

Well… just the good old "sure, using a car to attack people is bad, but…"
pwa

Post by pwa »

Bez wrote:Well… just the good old "sure, using a car to attack people is bad, but…"

Unfair. I agree with the point that if you have an aggressive anti-cycling nutter waiting at a red light, passing him on your bike and going through the red light in front of him will be like waving a red rag to a bull. If you interpret that as excusing the nutter it is because you want to.
Bez

Post by Bez »

Yes, it's probably a little unfair, but these "yes, but…" things never need to be said, and indeed shouldn't. There's a very human desire to rationalise things, which means that a trigger/explanation/justification is sought from whatever evidence is available, primarily what is easily visible. An irrelevant, unimportant misdemeanour is observed, and that is assumed to be the trigger and thence the explanation and thence—in some people's minds even if not the author's—it creeps slowly towards a justification. The link is made, the thought process derived, and hey presto: someone provided the catalyst for an assault and thus, inevitably, carries some responsibility for it.

It's a short continuum from that rationalisation above to comments such as this one, which appeared below the report of Daniel Squire's death.

"Whilst this is not aimed at this particular cyclist in any way as I do not know the facts, and nobody deserves what happened, respect has to be earned. That wont happen all the time a large proportion of cyclists simply regard road laws as inapplicable to them. Jumping red lights, up onto the pavement, between lines of traffic switching from one side to the other, not using supplied cycle paths…"

If one truly does not condone a behaviour in any way then that is all that needs to be said. The "but" or the "whilst" simply ushers in a clause which at best contradicts the "in any way" and, even if it doesn't condone the behaviour, it sets out a foundation of rationalisation by which responsibility for that behaviour starts to become diffused in many people's minds.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

It's an expression that crept up on me so I may have it wrong but (internet) meme comes to mind.