Cyclists ignoring traffic lights

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Chaddy

Cyclists ignoring traffic lights

Post by Chaddy »

Does anybody know why cyclists are oblivious to red traffic lights. They just saunter through with a total disregard for public safety. As a motorist i thought the highway code was for all road users. I didn't realise cyclists were exemp.
toontra

Re: Cyclists ignoring traffic lights

Post by toontra »

I think you mean "some" cyclists. Personally, I don't. None of the people I cycle with do. From observation I'd say the vast majority of cyclists don't. Of course there are idiots. If I see them then I will have a word, polite or not so polite.

You might as well say "Why do drivers ignore traffic lights?" I see drivers going through red lights (already having changed from amber) every day, often inconveniencing other drivers and endangering cyclists and pedestrians. They are the minority though, so I wouldn't do as you have done and bracket all drivers into a single blame group.
gaz

Post by gaz »

WMP1.png
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

This is amazing and it restores my faith in the working of the Universe. Kwackers returns to the forum just in time for an RLJ thread. :lol:
fixerupper

Post by fixerupper »

Well here in Crete many road users ignore lots of the normal stuff ..you have to drive , cycle or walk as though every one is out to get you ...people step off pavements in front of cars and trucks ,ignore give way signs , over take on blind bends ,drive with children and babies sitting or lying on the passenger seats .. bikes and motorbikes rarely obey traffic lights or oneway streets ....but somehow most people survive ...
Username

Post by Username »

On the occasion that I am out driving, I find motorists mostly dawdle and not let faster people pass. I think the motorists should sort out their problems before they can start on the ones of cyclists.

Also note that this is OP's first post. And check out how long she's been registered.
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

From my observations around 50% of car drivers run red lights but as soon as the one at the front stops, the others have to wait behind, the difference with people on bikes is that they can filter to the front and continue running the red light after the drivers have had to stop. We could also list a huge list of things drivers do wrong, some drivers anyway.
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

One school of thought, is that it is safer to go when the lights are still red, so long as there's no traffic coming in the cross direction. By the time the lights change to green you'll be ahead of the rest of the traffic, across the junction and away. If you wait for green, then you are in front of an accelerating mass of metal, whilst also trying to get your foot on your pedal and avoid being squished from behind.

Another school of thought is that cyclists don't view themselves as "traffic" and therefore "traffic" lights don't apply to them.

I don't subscribe to either of the above.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
toontra

Post by toontra »

TrevA wrote:One school of thought, is that it is safer to go when the lights are still red, so long as there's no traffic coming in the cross direction. By the time the lights change to green you'll be ahead of the rest of the traffic, across the junction and away. If you wait for green, then you are in front of an accelerating mass of metal, whilst also trying to get your foot on your pedal and avoid being squished from behind.

Another school of thought is that cyclists don't view themselves as "traffic" and therefore "traffic" lights don't apply to them.

I don't subscribe to either of the above.

The trouble with either of those approaches is that they introduce an element of uncertainty to junctions (which are usually the most hazardous elements of a journey anyway). All it takes is a slight miscalculation or a temporary blind spot and you can cause some serious damage, usually to yourself.

It also makes it far more difficult for pedestrians to anticipate your intentions. They should be able to trust the lights to cross in safety without having to be on guard for rogue cyclists.
flat tyre

Post by flat tyre »

Is there a motorists forum I can join to complain about cars jumping red lights? I do see more cars than cyclists jumping red lights on my ride into town.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Username wrote:On the occasion that I am out driving, I find motorists mostly dawdle and not let faster people pass. I think the motorists should sort out their problems before they can start on the ones of cyclists.

Also note that this is OP's first post. And check out how long she's been registered.

Wrong again, most go too fast and follow too close, do you know anywhere with a minimum speed limit?

There are several junctions where I pedal off a moment before I get green, it is "safer" because vehicles crossing my path get green too. While driving I never break the law, Plus One for me?

Plus Two for new members with controversial views, if he got past our moderators that is good enough for me
Last edited by Cyril Haearn on 12 Aug 2018, 6:28pm, edited 1 time in total.
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
yakdiver

Post by yakdiver »

In my area the cyclist that go through red lights ride full carbon bike and dressed like an advertising board, were me on the other hand ride a trike in shorts and T-shirts stop at everyone.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Re-written and punctuated.

All road users offend at the same proportional rate.
Unfortunately the impact on society isn’t proportional, with motor vehicles killing five and seriously injuring sixty-three people a day in the UK.
Offending Cyclists are a vexation; offending drivers are deadly.
Mick F. Cornwall
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

gaz wrote:WMP1.png

Is this true? Even walkers?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Chaddy

Post by Chaddy »

The person who private messaged me with the torrent of abusive language. Firstly i am not op or female, i am male i don't understand what op means. You are obviously a person of below average intelligence. I as a motorist do not dawdle as you put it, i do the speed limit. I made my point on here because this is a cycling forum.