Thinking Ahead

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Vorpal

Re: Thinking Ahead

Post by Vorpal »

A number of my near misses have, I'm am sure, been due to drivers underestimating my speed.

I think they look, see a cyclist, and assume I am going 8 mph.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

PDQ Mobile wrote:Is the second video playing at "normal" speed?

A still of the car seems to show the other cyclist had sufficient room.
It is hard to tell if the driver had good sight of him but it appears possible.

OP is certainly flying along I guess the quick look driver misjudged that.

Yep, normal speed. I can get a fair lick along there, hence usually taking a racing line around what is essentially a left hand junction, coming up to the bend I was probably doing a little over 20mph, going around it more like 15.
(It's a wide angle lens so the usual, objects look further away and speed looks higher applies)

The driver would only have seen the other cyclist if they'd been stopped, particularly with the other cyclist being near the kerb.

This is a junction I have problems with all the time and yes it is misjudgment of speed and the reason it happens is that as an oncoming vehicle you're travelling directly towards them so making it difficult for them to judge your speed and they take advantage of the fact you need to slow down to get around the bend.
(I suspect that once apon a time that road actually continued in the direction the car came from and the turn to the left was either non existent or a minor side road.)

Overall though the reason I posted it isn't because the guy pulled out it's just generally the poor standard of driving, he crossed the white lines completely and was obviously speeding.
I've seen people travel through the village at speeds I'd estimate to be north of 70mph and use that 'S' bend as a demonstration of their cars handling capabilities.

IME one idiot is an idiot, two idiots are a crash.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Maybe that should of been no look driver, there are plenty of them around for sure.

Even if they looked they would of been over the line or well into road because of the speed and little if no time to react.

I am sure that when I took my test 35 years ago the recognised training of drivers is no different today, where you are invited and shown how to exit junctions quickly by engaging first gear and not using the handbrake..................after you pass your test some progress to second and maybe even third gear for this manoeuvre.....................

As a motorcyclist and cyclist that's a foolish kamikaze method though some are happy to ride like they drive.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
peetee

Post by peetee »

Vorpal wrote:A number of my near misses have, I'm am sure, been due to drivers underestimating my speed.

+1
They look right, see you and dismiss you because of your distance then look left for a gap and pull out.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

kwackers wrote:Yep, normal speed. I can get a fair lick along there, hence usually taking a racing line around what is essentially a left hand junction, coming up to the bend I was probably doing a little over 20mph, going around it more like 15.
(It's a wide angle lens so the usual, objects look further away and speed looks higher applies)

The driver would only have seen the other cyclist if they'd been stopped, particularly with the other cyclist being near the kerb.

This is a junction I have problems with all the time and yes it is misjudgment of speed and the reason it happens is that as an oncoming vehicle you're travelling directly towards them so making it difficult for them to judge your speed and they take advantage of the fact you need to slow down to get around the bend.
(I suspect that once apon a time that road actually continued in the direction the car came from and the turn to the left was either non existent or a minor side road.)

Overall though the reason I posted it isn't because the guy pulled out it's just generally the poor standard of driving, he crossed the white lines completely and was obviously speeding.
I've seen people travel through the village at speeds I'd estimate to be north of 70mph and use that 'S' bend as a demonstration of their cars handling capabilities.

IME one idiot is an idiot, two idiots are a crash.

The driver does have a very long sight of the main road in the direction you are approaching from though.

The car is visible as you get to the hedge on the left. Many yards from the junction.
It is planning ahead!

So (s)he has only to look right at the junction.
As posted up thread the other cyclist does appear to have sufficient room.
It is not easy to judge how much view of him the driver has but it is possible that it is quite early and decent too.

The OP's fast approach has caught the driver out though.
He sees this and tries to make last minute amends for the error by going tight and wide of OP.

It's not good driving, too fast, but not IMV as bad as the OP's first clip.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

PDQ Mobile wrote:It's not good driving, too fast, but not IMV as bad as the OP's first clip.

I agree.

I'd say it was more representative of the sort of driving I see regularly than the OP which fortunately is fairly rare and at least in this case I can see why it happened whereas the driver in the OP has absolutely no excuse.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Vorpal wrote:A number of my near misses have, I'm am sure, been due to drivers underestimating my speed.

Very true!
I.M.O. a car test should include some bicycle training, and education on speed that an average freefall person can get to downhill as well as a energetic flat road cyclist!

You know the feeling when you are in a road that is so narrow only to permit a car, not a car and cyclist without physical friction.

Yesterday such road with walls not hedges.
You have to cycle in middle of road to stop the car moving because if you move to close edge the will drive past even though you will be hit :twisted:

Their gaze is fixed and stoney as if you are invisible, they come to an abrupt stop and then you are bad and you are in the way.................bloody cyclist.....................
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.