Hit whilst car turned into a gas station

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
rualexander

Re: Hit whilst car turned into a gas station

Post by rualexander »

Cyril Haearn wrote:"Fuel station" might be the correct term, BE British English

I think we'd be more likely to call it a 'petrol station'.
mjr

Post by mjr »

rualexander wrote:

Filling station or garage (no, I don't know why) is more usual, surely?

Here, come to the pinhead, angels, and dance!
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

As has been said, a driver must report an accident where someone may have been injured, not to do so is illegal.
Regardless of the state of the traffic he should have checked that there was nothing likely to be in conflict with him as he turned into the garage (could have easily been a pedestrian).
For what it's worth if you are passing slower or stopped traffic on the inside, always be aware that some kind soul might be giving a turning vehicle the courtesy of turning across the traffic... you do need eyes in the back of your head ....

So to sum up;
It was an offence not to inform the police.
Not informing his insurance is an offence.
Paying you off means he avoids using insurance (if he has any) and subsequent increased premiums and possibly losing his job.
There may have been other offences; not insured (taxi driver who knocked me off was underage for the policy he was driving on ... had to be 25+)
Using a phone... we may not have personal proof, but police can check records when an accident has occured to find out what other contributory factors there were such as texting of using phone.

Hopefully there is no other damage to you or your bike and the £150 covers the cost.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Msb 1406

I've re-read your OP several times and I appreciate that perhaps feeling shaken up after this crash, you are having doubts about how you have dealt with it so far. You need to think through what you hope to achieve.

In the aftermath of a crash like this, where there appear to be no serious injuries, there are two main aspects ie the possibility of criminal offences and compensation for the damage. You have not said whether you have the details of the driver or any witnesses.

The driver stopped and came to an arrangement with you which you accepted at the time. You could report this to the police but I'm not sure they would take this much further. If you now hope for further compensation, you really need legal advice as indicated by others already. Hopefully, you haven't some serious undetected injury so you are really talking about the cost of the damage. If £150 was acceptable at the time, it would need things to be much, much worse to take it further down the legal route.
Msb1406

Post by Msb1406 »

Thanks everyone for the advice. :) I have been checked over at hospital and only have a slight concussion, nothing they're overly worried about. I will definitely pay attention even more when on the bike!

And shame on you for those who judged my choice of words, surely you have something better to do with your day? I'm sure you all knew what I meant...
mjr

Post by mjr »

Msb1406 wrote:Thanks everyone for the advice. :) I have been checked over at hospital and only have a slight concussion, nothing they're overly worried about. I will definitely pay attention even more when on the bike!

Glad to hear it. Now, onto more serious things: how's the bike?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Msb1406

Post by Msb1406 »

mjr wrote:
Msb1406 wrote:Thanks everyone for the advice. :) I have been checked over at hospital and only have a slight concussion, nothing they're overly worried about. I will definitely pay attention even more when on the bike!

Glad to hear it. Now, onto more serious things: how's the bike?

Thank you :).
Looks like it just needs a new wheel which I've ordered and will fit myself once it gets here. Will probably go somewhere to get it checked over , does a bike MOT exist?!
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Glad you're ok and at least now you have an idea of what to do if there is ever a next time.
Take your bike to a local bike shop, they should be able to check your bike over, and service it.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

rualexander wrote:

Probably diesel is available there too
It is worth trying to use the correct term, "gas" is American, over there turning right is the near side, could get confusing

An amateur pedant :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Msb1406 wrote:And shame on you for those who judged my choice of words, surely you have something better to do with your day? I'm sure you all knew what I meant...

You perhaps assume too much, unless you are aware of USA terminology there can be lots of confusion and a lot on these fora don't even own a TV to be bombarded by US culture and terminology! And just to complicate that, a limited number of fuel outlets do sell gas as well as petrol / diesel - LPG but they are still known genericaly as petrol stations on this side of the Pond.

Main thing, rather than arguing over semantics is that you are okay and your bike isn't too badly damaged. Have had a similar situation in the past, not a taxi but a GMOTP not looking when cutting a corner - only a bent wheel as I was looking, hundred notes exchanged, new wheel for fifty, I won on that one!
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

What is a GMOTP please?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
SimonCelsa

Post by SimonCelsa »

'Grand Ma On The Pull'

or most probably 'On The Phone'

I don't know either really!
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Cyril Haearn wrote:What is a GMOTP please?

General member of the public
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

And shame on you for those who judged my choice of words, surely you have something better to do with your day? I'm sure you all knew what I meant...

I think that was possibly because we have had some people posting ficticious stories here in the past to get a reaction, so people are wary of any words that look out of the ordinary. I know some forums have had problems with people 'stirring' like that where it has often been linked to foreign spam or other dodgy accounts, so it does tend to be a flag people notice. There are plenty of non-native Brits here; it really isn't an 'anti-non-Brit' site.

Sorry about your experience on the road. I've had the same, in my case it was into a side road rather than a 'garage' (what that would be called in my part of the UK) and they didn't even stop.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Yes. I'm bordering on paranoid about wind-up merchants just trying to gain a reaction to something contentious, although I always try to reply as though every post is bona fide.

There's a forum member who has openly admitted to playing forum cricket whereby runs are scored every time nominated words appear in a thread.

Only this week there's an item in Private Eye suggesting that the Mail Online has been sussed on Mumsnet making contentious posts hoping to trigger angry replies to use as sensational copy.