harassment whilst commuting what to do

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
[XAP]Bob

Re: harassment whilst commuting what to do

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Add a camera, and knowing that it's been added don't react badly.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
mig

Post by mig »

whizz past. say nowt. crack on with your day.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

He's not a scally he's a manc. They're worse! :wink:

Seriously Scally is 'pool surely, Manc is Manchester area.

Easy to collect evidence of he's there same time every day with a camera. Harder to get the police to action it and the cps to proceed with action.

Move on and change time /route. Route change is better because he might just be at that place for quite some time either side of your encounter time.

Think about what result you want then forget it and think about what result you can get. IMHO the best result is to find another route that gives you less hassle. Enjoy your ride more and forget him. Might be hard for you but better in the long run.

Besides, there's some real nutters out there. He might just meet one on a bike and come off badly!

I used to know one who was a nutter and he used to say his mate was a nutter, so how bad was his mate? Both mad, keen cyclists and cycle commuters. One with an extra long chain whip in his back pocket, the other with a long, metal pump within easy reach. Both used on cars but they have no problems with violence on humans. I had very little to do with the guy after that conversation and never met his mate.
Barks

Post by Barks »

Report his abuse to the Police so that any repeat with you or anyone else builds a picture over time. It is quite probable he sounds off at all manner of things just looking for any excuse for confrontation.
Pete Owens

Post by Pete Owens »

rick wrote:What would youd do?

Ride on the road.

Just because some muppet from the council has got out a paint pot and invited you to invade pedestrian space it is not compulsory to do so.
Marcus Aurelius

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

I’ve had something similar round my way recently. I was on a clearly marked shared path, on the cycle bit when I aprroached a couple of people walking their dog in the clearly marked, segregated cycle part. I got “ Effing cyclists on the effing pavement, nearly running my effing dog over, they all need to eff off and ride on the effing road”. I just said “You should have gone to specsavers, didn’t the big picture of a bike and the different colour tarmac give you a clue”.
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

Cheap go pro copy+ police

I'd be worried about escalation
Moodyman1

Post by Moodyman1 »

Go the other extreme. Surprise him by being nice. Wish him a good morning and tell him how nice it is to see him.

I find it confuses them at first and brings their aggressiveness down a notch or two.
Ivor Tingting

Post by Ivor Tingting »

rick wrote: I shout back there is a roundel : it is shared : look at it.

What's a roundel?

Are you sure you are not being abused because you have had a cycle clothing failure?
"Zat is ze reel prowoking qwestion Mr Paxman." - Peer Steinbruck, German Finance Minister 31/03/2009.
Ontherivet77

Post by Ontherivet77 »

When I used to work in Manchester (Northern Quarter) I'd sometimes go outside the building where I worked for a bit of fresh air, most days a guy would appear and start effing and jeffing at me and I would smile at him while he went on his way. Turns out he was coming from the Big Issue and had some mental health issues, chances are you may dealing with the same thing, so just smile and ignore him, it's not worth getting worked up about.
VanDriver

Post by VanDriver »

Blow a raspberry.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

VanDriver wrote:Blow a raspberry.

Best one yet :D
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
nez

Post by nez »

I’ve had this a few times over my cycling career. I just change route. I wouldn’t rely on police, unless you’re in a mood to plump up a cushion and listen to their long list of reasons for doing nothing.
Harptree

Post by Harptree »

He could be the sort of person who just feels more alive if he is having some sort of confrontation with someone. Some odd people are like that - they feel invisible if they don't get attention - positive or negative will do.

If you can get some distance on him then just ignore him - say nothing, not even the briefest eye contact - nothing. Ever. If you ignore him twenty times and then the twenty first time glance at him - well, you've taught him 21 is what it takes and he'll keep going. It must be strictly nothing, ever, for ever. Eventually they give up as long as you are strict about it because there's no reward in it for them.

But if he's too close to do that - if you'll have to swerve or he can force some other type of response from you and hence get a reward - stand in your way etc. - then avoid meeting him. Diversion or different time.

In the end, winning is not winning an argument with him - because he enjoys that, that's what he wants. You can't win that way. Winning is him being invisible and not in your life. So just do what it takes to achieve that.