harassment whilst commuting what to do

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
rick

harassment whilst commuting what to do

Post by rick »

Hi,

I regularly cycle between Prestwich and Manchester City Centre.
Been ok for years.
There is a stretch of shared footpath by the MEN arena clearly marked by roundels.
Yesterday morning I was cycling to work and this guy was walking the opposite way.
Plenty of space for both yet he started abusing me effing this effing that etc etc.
I just answered back "all right!".
Today we meet again and he starts "you should be on the road" I shout back there is a roundel it is shared look at it.
The he starts swearing again and whilst walking off. I swear back plenty. Thats it for today.
Now chances are I will meet him again tomorrow morning. Not scared of him at all, tbh he may have some issues but I don't see why people should be abused for no reason. So I have three options:
1) keep cycling the same way and respond to anything he throws at me.
2) keep cycling and ignore him (I know I won't cause I do not tolerate the bullying of law abiding citizens).
3) change direction.

I know no 3 is really the answer but I don't see why, as a civilezed individual, I should be bullied out of cycling on a road.

What would youd do? Ever been in this situation?

Regards,

Rick
Cyril Haearn

Re: harassment whilst commuting what to do

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Ignore him
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
pwa

Post by pwa »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Ignore him

That is probably the right advice. On the other hand by now I would be pretty angry and my response would end up with one or both of us in cuffs or in A&E. Maybe Bryn has the right answer, though that will just give him a green light to continue.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Perhaps it's the sort of situation where some camera footage might come in handy, so long as it doesn't record you over-reacting. In any event, there's nothing to be gained by reacting to provocation. If this persists, it's handy to have your own evidence of what's happening.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

pwa wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:Ignore him

That is probably the right advice. On the other hand by now I would be pretty angry and my response would end up with one or both of us in cuffs or in A&E. Maybe Bryn has the right answer, though that will just give him a green light to continue.

Maybe he is there at exactly the same time each day
Then you could just go ten minutes earlier or later

He might be drunk or drugged, one never knows
Confrontation could lead to disaster, you might grab him to restrain him in self-defence, anything could happen

The right thing for the wrong reason? -> try other routes :wink:
I have been cycling through town for 15 years, I still find new/different/better ways
rick

Post by rick »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
He might be drunk or drugged, one never knows
Confrontation could lead to disaster, you might grab him to restrain him in self-defence, anything could happen

The right thing for the wrong reason? -> try other routes :wink:
I have been cycling through town for 15 years, I still find new/different/better ways

I think this is probably the best solution.
I can leave a bit later.
But it makes me angry that society has this sort of low life scum making life difficult for others.
pwa

Post by pwa »

My own high risk tactic would be to stop, get off and speak to him. I know the risk, so I'm not offering it as advice. I'd not change routes, time or anything else. I'd try to have plenty of people around when we met. I'd offer a friendly smile (at first) and ask him what the problem is. I would not want him to think he can mouth off at passing cyclists and expect them to just cycle off. Again, it is risky so not doing that is not a cop out or cowardly or anything like that.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Smile at him say "good morning" and see who gets fed up first.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

pwa wrote:My own high risk tactic would be to stop, get off and speak to him. I know the risk, so I'm not offering it as advice. I'd not change routes, time or anything else. I'd try to have plenty of people around when we met. I'd offer a friendly smile (at first) and ask him what the problem is. I would not want him to think he can mouth off at passing cyclists and expect them to just cycle off. Again, it is risky so not doing that is not a cop out or cowardly or anything like that.

High risk tactic :?

Is he bigger than you? Do you have self-defence skills, martial arts? Are we obsessed with fear of violence?
rick

Post by rick »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
pwa wrote:My own high risk tactic would be to stop, get off and speak to him. I know the risk, so I'm not offering it as advice. I'd not change routes, time or anything else. I'd try to have plenty of people around when we met. I'd offer a friendly smile (at first) and ask him what the problem is. I would not want him to think he can mouth off at passing cyclists and expect them to just cycle off. Again, it is risky so not doing that is not a cop out or cowardly or anything like that.

Is he bigger than you? Do you have self-defence skills, martial arts? Are we obsessed with fear of violence?

It is not the point. The point is I am angry that an individual can shout abuse at another for no reason and that we have a society which allows this. This guy is basically a scally.
I feel very angry about this so I think that the suggestion above about having a chat would result in a violent confrontation as I am sure he would just swear at me and I would not put up with it anymore frankly.
Manchester is full of these subhuman types I am afraid, so trying to talk to these people is a lot cause round these parts.

I will cyle later, with regret but so be it.
mjr

Post by mjr »

thirdcrank wrote:Perhaps it's the sort of situation where some camera footage might come in handy, so long as it doesn't record you over-reacting. In any event, there's nothing to be gained by reacting to provocation. If this persists, it's handy to have your own evidence of what's happening.

Particularly if he's in the same place same time every day. Recordings and a report would seem to make it a fairly easy case closure for plainclothes police if they're ever looking for something to do at that time of day.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
pwa

Post by pwa »

rick wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:

It is not the point. The point is I am angry that an individual can shout abuse at another for no reason and that we have a society which allows this. This guy is basically a scally.
I feel very angry about this so I think that the suggestion above about having a chat would result in a violent confrontation as I am sure he would just swear at me and I would not put up with it anymore frankly.
Manchester is full of these subhuman types I am afraid, so trying to talk to these people is a lot cause round these parts.

I will cyle later, with regret but so be it.

Your judgement and I respect it.
rick

Post by rick »

eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

I understand your change of route (I did a few years back when persistently chased by the same dog on one particular lane), but this is giving in to the bullying tactics of this low life.
Maybe change for a couple of days, while you can sort the purchase of a camera, then record him. Resist the temptation to react or give a cheery good morning/evening and forward the footage. If he is bullying you then he may well be doing it to others.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
random37

Post by random37 »

Be brave. Try not to be intimidated, and report him to the police if it continues.

I would avoid confrontation. In order to come off better than the other guy in a fight you need to match or exceed the aggression being shown to you. People are surprisingly easy to hurt or even kill. Do you really want to kill someone because they tried to make themselves feel better by mouthing off at you?