Velo Birmingham and Midland

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
ianrobo

Velo Birmingham and Midland

Post by ianrobo »

Well it is back and a different (less interesting route) which is a total change from the other one through Nimbyshire and is more Urban in nature ...

Note the name change as this time it is Solihull and North Warwhickshire and more through Brum with a route I saw that is quite flat which for many is something they would love.
1982john

Re: Velo Birmingham and Midland

Post by 1982john »

I'm a little surprised that the route is more urban given how controversial the road closures were last time. Have you got a link to the route?
ianrobo

Post by ianrobo »

Yep the proposed route is here in solihull council docs when they approved it

http://eservices.solihull.gov.uk/mginte ... 20Ride.pdf

As I said far more urban and there is a reason for that, with Urban you can get people to destinations easier as more alternative diversions, the issues last time was out in the suites, but no climbs here.
Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman »

If you are not willing to pay £79 or willing to wait until Spring 2019 to Velo Birmingham then you may interesting in Beyond the Dyke on 6th October, a 200km audax starting from Belbroughton in North Worcestershire, heading off towards Mid-Wales via the Clee Hills, Knighton, Presteigne, Teme Valley and back.

Some hills but nothing gratuitous. Food for riders at the beginning and end of the ride.

It is a friendly event and you will be more than welcome.

http://beaconrcc.org.uk/audaxes/autumn-beyond-the-dyke/

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/28170384

Picturesque scenery
Quiet country lanes and B roads, plus some low usage A roads.
Open 'free' controls where proofs of passage can easily be obtained
Plenty of cafes and shops available at control locations
RidewithGPS downloads
Comprehensive and tested route cards
Shower and changing facilities
Free parking
Light refreshments at the start
Post event food at HQ
Some light snacks at the start
On-the-day validation of successful audax rides Audax Altitude Awards statistics are as follows:
Climbing: 2628 m
Partial AAA eligible climbing: 1594 m
Partial AAA start: 5.6 km
Partial AAA distance: 107.0 km
AAA points: 1.75
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

1982john wrote:I'm a little surprised that the route is more urban given how controversial the road closures were last time. Have you got a link to the route?

Much of the controversy raged around some areas where rural businesses would be unable to trade for the whole day because they would be isolated.
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
ianrobo

Post by ianrobo »

good PR Phil ha ha !!
ianrobo

Post by ianrobo »

and route has been confirmed as expected and I will be leaving my space to someone else for what is a boring route really