Walk or cycle to Waddesdon Manor with the Waddesdon Greenway

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

The Waddesdon Greenway has been devised offering a new, safe 4km pedestrian and cycling path that will link Aylesbury Vale Parkway with the village of Waddesdon and Waddesdon Manor.

https://waddesdon.org.uk/blog/walk-or-cycle-to-waddesdon-manor-with-the-waddesdon-greenway/

click to enlarge
click to enlarge

Set away from the A41, following a route that coincides largely with the old roman road Akeman Street, the Greenway will offer a wide, smooth path suitable for walkers, cyclists and wheelchair users.
Bonefishblues

Re: Walk or cycle to Waddesdon Manor with the Waddesdon Greenway

Post by Bonefishblues »

That's a good initiative. I live nearby and knew nothing about it! Waddesden's available for free entry, only the house is a pay per view. Oh, and dogs are allowed in much more of the grounds than previously also.
mjr

Post by mjr »

From their twitter: "official opening of the Waddesdon Greenway, starting at @chilternrailway Aylesbury Vale Parkway station at 10.45am on Thurs 13th. A guided #cycle ride of the path will be led by John Grimshaw, project designer & founder of @sustrans"

This also has the great side-effect of linking Aylesbury to the National Byway routes which pass through Waddesdon, although I think you'd still need to use a little of the nasty A41 through the village itself to go north.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

mjr wrote:From their twitter: "official opening of the Waddesdon Greenway, starting at @chilternrailway Aylesbury Vale Parkway station at 10.45am on Thurs 13th. A guided #cycle ride of the path will be led by John Grimshaw, project designer & founder of @sustrans"

This also has the great side-effect of linking Aylesbury to the National Byway routes which pass through Waddesdon, although I think you'd still need to use a little of the nasty A41 through the village itself to go north.

...and for afters they should continue on along the old tramway that led to Brill, but one suspects that's an initiative too far!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brill_Tramway
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

mjr wrote:From their twitter: "official opening of the Waddesdon Greenway, starting at @chilternrailway Aylesbury Vale Parkway station at 10.45am on Thurs 13th. A guided #cycle ride of the path will be led by John Grimshaw, project designer & founder of @sustrans"

ah too 10.45am early. They should have made it midday so that people could get there? But I will certainly have a visit
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

would you like to expand on the National Byway routes? I cant see anything on my 50k map that I used above
mjr

Post by mjr »

That's no longer the best map for cycling IMO. The national byway is marked on http://www.osm.org/?layers=C among others and appears to pass through Waddesdon.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

mjr wrote:That's no longer the best map for cycling IMO. The national byway is marked on http://www.osm.org/?layers=C among others and appears to pass through Waddesdon.

Odd route to me, albeit I suppose it's designed to take one through Waddesden so it can be seen. I'd be going SA at the offset crossroads over the A41 and cutting off the corner, or turning left and then re-tracing my path back out of the village again, turning left at the same crossroads. Unless train enthusiast, that is, where I can see the logic in routing via Quainton.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Bonefishblues wrote:
mjr wrote:That's no longer the best map for cycling IMO. The national byway is marked on http://www.osm.org/?layers=C among others and appears to pass through Waddesdon.

Odd route to me, albeit I suppose it's designed to take one through Waddesden so it can be seen. I'd be going SA at the offset crossroads over the A41 and cutting off the corner, or turning left and then re-tracing my path back out of the village again, turning left at the same crossroads. Unless train enthusiast, that is, where I can see the logic in routing via Quainton.

Yes, the National Byway ("peace and quiet, meandering rural lanes in lovely countryside and fascinating places to visit along the way") tends to divert for anything of the slightest interest. It's not often a transport route. Others have described it as what the NCN would have been if designed by 1990s CTC instead of Sustrans (we don't care it's the A41 with no infrastructure and most people would not enjoy riding it - we have a right to ride there, damn it!), while viewtopic.php?f=16&t=32295 may be the closest it's come to being discussed directly on here.

Even so, it does eventually go near most places and it's still worth having towns like Aylesbury linked to it IMO - although I guess it already was very indirectly because the south end of Aylesbury's Amber cycle route links to NCN RR 30 which then connects to NCRs 57 and 6/61.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

mjr wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:

Yes, the National Byway ("peace and quiet, meandering rural lanes in lovely countryside and fascinating places to visit along the way") tends to divert for anything of the slightest interest. It's not often a transport route. Others have described it as what the NCN would have been if designed by 1990s CTC instead of Sustrans (we don't care it's the A41 with no infrastructure and most people would not enjoy riding it - we have a right to ride there, damn it!), while viewtopic.php?f=16&t=32295 may be the closest it's come to being discussed directly on here.

Even so, it does eventually go near most places and it's still worth having towns like Aylesbury linked to it IMO - although I guess it already was very indirectly because the south end of Aylesbury's Amber cycle route links to NCN RR 30 which then connects to NCRs 57 and 6/61.

yes from the map given above it seems to go every where and no where fast :lol: