Rolling car

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
thirdcrank

Re: Rolling car

Post by thirdcrank »

meic wrote:I wonder how it reacts to a false start, or a stall.
It would have to psychic to know if the driver was trying to rock the car for some reason, back up a little bit deliberately or they had messed up.

I've no idea because I've never tried it. Bear in mind that on an automatic, you would struggle to stall it (I think.) Also, in normal running circumstances, the engine will cut out if you are stationary with your foot on the brake pedal.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

thirdcrank wrote:From the Audi's mouth. (Vorsprung durch bedrug.)

Audi hold assist keeps the car stationary once it's stopped and automatically prevents it from rolling on uphill and downhill gradients.
During stops on uphill and downhill gradients, Audi hold assist holds the car stationary for as long as needed.
It's activated by pressing a button and allows the driver to set the car in motion smoothly without having to use the handbrake at all. If the vehicle remains stationary for a long period with Audi hold assist active, the system automatically switches over to the electromechanical parking brake. There's no need to operate the handbrake to pull away.
Audi hold assist is part of the ABS-ESP control system. After you release the brake pedal, the hydraulic pressure is maintained, meaning the hydraulic system keeps the brake pads pressed against the brake discs at the front and rear.
During this process, the electromechanical parking brake is not in operation. This means a quicker reaction time, less noise and less braking effect at all four wheels, and enhanced comfort. Audi hold assist is only available in conjunction with the electromechanical parking brake.

https://www.audi.co.uk/glossary/a/audi-hold-assist.html
====================================================================
PS I'll still take a lot of convincing that the OP's driver was anything other than lazy.

Need a while to understand that, do you have the German text? :wink:
BTW it should be "Vorsprung durch Betrug" :?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
mjr

Post by mjr »

thirdcrank wrote:
Audi hold assist is part of the ABS-ESP control system.

I think that says it's part of the braking/traction control, rather than the automatic gearbox.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I don't want to get into a petty squabble about who said what. However, I did say before, that " I assumed" which is just what happened. It was an option available when I was ordering an Audi to my spec and I had a bit of an explanation of what it did, without researching in detail how it did it. That order fell through, so I bought one "off-the-peg" without that feature. When I posted the quote from the Audi website, it was in an attempt to add a bit of information, rather than to try to prove anything.

My overriding point is that no matter what wonders of technology are available, the OP's driver's idleness was the cause of their rolling back. IMO.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
I have no idea, but can you buy a normal road going light goods car today in this country without a mechanical fool proof fail safe hand brake?
If so that's madness I.M.O.

I remember a time when I fell off my motorcycle-
I was too close to a car stopped at a Zebra Crossing.
The car pulled off and so did I.
The car stopped across the crossing.
The moment I realised..............my fingers were not on the front brake lever (should have been!)
My feet were coming up onto footrests.
So nothing was in contact with either brake.
My front tyre hit the rear of car softly..............and I fell on to my side...............on my new toy :(
If I had had my fingers on the front brake I would probably never have fell off.
The car driver behind me got out and asked If I wished to have the reg of car that stopped suddenly, I declined.

The problem with not having a proper hand brake or not using one when stationary will lead even to momentary loss of control.
Not all cars have rear disc brakes, so on a hill going up, the brakes are less efficient if you reverse move, with rear drum brakes, add a defective / seized mechanism and its a recipe for disaster.

Irrespective of mind readers and crystal balls its just foolish for us lot to believe that the person driving in the op's post was not responsible for their cars movements!

But there again if it cannot be proved who is culpable.............they get off don't they................
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
meic

Post by meic »

Irrespective of mind readers and crystal balls its just foolish for us lot to believe that the person driving in the op's post was not responsible for their cars movements!

It was my fault for leading us up the automatic handbrake avenue.

It is certainly the driver's fault, no dispute I hope from anybody on that.
If I had ever taken that Renault off the drive I could see that sort of thing possibly happening to me through a failure to control the car. I would of course have apologised quite self-abasingly to anybody that I had hit through that.

The handbrake issue is an interesting diversion but as you say very much a diversion.
Yma o Hyd
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
I wasn't directing my comments at any one including you meic.

Just my emphasis on the fact that if you drive your are responsible for your actions......especially bad ones.

But you see many people trying to distract from shouldering blame by blaming someone for being there when they fail to control.

I remember (old story) driving through town at legal speed 30mph or less and seeing a bloke and young child exit a shopping precinct walk across a very wide pavement.
The boy stopped on the road in front of a car......I could clearly see him through the car windows looking at me.
When I got close he jumped out in front of my moving vehicle :shock:
I had plenty time to slow and stop, which I did and sounded my horn.
Parked some 30 yards futher on as I was going to park anyway.
I got out of my car and whilst standing on the pavement the driver and his son passed by me in his car.
Wound window down and said you should drive slower mate!

This is very typical of neglecting responsibility's and blaming the blameless................this was his son even, no attempt at all to warn his son not to stand in road even if it was behind a car, no words at all until he left the road in his car.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.