Woman struck by hit-and-run cyclist in Dalston dies - BBC

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Airsporter1st

Re: Lady pedestrian fighting for life following ebike hit and run

Post by Airsporter1st »

Perhaps its just me, but when I go through a pedestrian crossing, regardless of what I'm driving/riding, I always take extra care.

When I took my driving test at the age of 17, the examiner asked me what the dotted lines at road junctions meant for me on the main road. I replied "they indicate that it is my right of way". He gave me a severe dressing down, culminating with the words: "Its no good lying in a hospital bed saying it was your right of way". I never forgot those words and I am eternally grateful to the examiner (who gave me a 'Pass').
Airsporter1st

Post by Airsporter1st »

NickWi wrote:
squeaker wrote:. Was the cyclist going that fast?

I think we need to be careful when talking about the whole speed question. Although the ebike rider is travelling faster than the first cyclist, his speed doesn’t appear to be excessive for what are good clear conditions. I don't know what his speed was doing (a simple time & distance study will determine that), but for sake of arguement lets say he was doing 20mph. If the boot was on the other foot and this was a car driver we were talking about, you can already hear them saying “Cor Blimey Gov, I couldn’t have driven any slower without stopping”

I often think speed limits, speedos etc. should be posted in feet or metres per second, which is far more indicative of what is actually happening at any particular moment. Even the lowly 20mph you suggest, means that a cyclist is covering 30 feet in one second. Assuming reasonable reaction time of a quarter of a second, he's still gone 7.5 feet before even reacting to someone running out in the road.
NickWi

Post by NickWi »

Airsporter1st wrote:Perhaps its just me, but when I go through a pedestrian crossing, regardless of what I'm driving/riding, I always take extra care.

When I took my driving test at the age of 17, the examiner asked me what the dotted lines at road junctions meant for me on the main road. I replied "they indicate that it is my right of way". He gave me a severe dressing down, culminating with the words: "Its no good lying in a hospital bed saying it was your right of way". I never forgot those words and I am eternally grateful to the examiner (who gave me a 'Pass').

On a similar note I was told the most dangerous person on the road is the humble pedestrian. No one else can move 6ft in any direction in half a second without looking, indicating or showing any brake lights.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

.... for leaving the scene he should be hammered.

I don't know much about ebikes but I presume that like a normal cyclist, he had no legal duty to stop, although there's the obvious moral duty to do so. Something else which might cause pressure for change to the regulations for cyclists.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

This "cyclist" (small c) has an immaculate sense of timing

Just as we have the increasing for modernisation of legislation, we have a massively high profile car where again an ancient law is being used.

well done for handing the press just the ammunition they needed to make the issue a current one.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

thirdcrank wrote:

I don't know much about ebikes but I presume that like a normal cyclist, he had no legal duty to stop, although there's the obvious moral duty to do so. Something else which might cause pressure for change to the regulations for cyclists.

If you have just injured someone to the point where the injuries are likely to be life changing there is at least a moral duty to stop.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

thirdcrank wrote:I don't know much about ebikes but I presume that like a normal cyclist, he had no legal duty to stop, although there's the obvious moral duty to do so.

I didn't know that.
I don't think it ever occurred to me that I wouldn't stop if I hit someone, let alone have any legal obligation to do so.
NickWi

Post by NickWi »

thirdcrank wrote:

Provided the e-bike complies with the current legislation (or was sold before the new legistation came into effect and was/still is compliant with the legislation in force at the time) then given one or two minor exceptions (weight and an age restriction are the main ones), an e-bike is classified and treated like any other standard bicycle. So yes, you're right, he had no legal duty to stop as Section 170 of the Road Traffic Act which cover such things only applies to mechanically propelled vehicle and a legal e-bike isn't a mechanically propelled vehicle. However if it's been modified..............

As you say, regardless of who was right or wrong the whole incident, especcialy the legging it bit is fuel for the haters.
hemo

Post by hemo »

It appears now that the lights were green and with the road traffic, the lady/pedestrian it seems ran the risk of running across the traffic flow in stead of waiting.
So why the ebiker did a runner only he will know, maybe he just panicked in the aftermath of the incident and was not thinking straight.

Like the Alston case we will have await to see the outcome.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Airsporter1st wrote:
reohn2 wrote:The problem in this case is as been posted,the cyclist left the scene and its for that,that it's hit the headlines with a negative storyline for the cyclist.
If he'd remained at the scene(and the bike was legal)from what I can see he's no case to answer.
But for leaving the scene he should be hammered.

Not defending him, but he may actually have been in shock.

Yeah right!
In the video there's a chap talking to him as he walks,carrying his bike,toward the camera,I'm assuming he's trying to persuade him not to leave the scene,though I could be wrong.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

thirdcrank wrote:

I didn't know that,but if ever a law needed changing it's that one.
W H Auden
mjr

Post by mjr »

reohn2 wrote:In the video there's a chap talking to him as he walks,carrying his bike,toward the camera,I'm assuming he's trying to persuade him not to leave the scene,though I could be wrong.

Why assume that? It seems as reasonable to guess that he's screaming in the cyclist's ear "Now you've done it, now you've done it! You're going to jail like that other scum who killed Kim Briggs!" given the bile in the tabloids like the Sun and Mail about cycling. Let's wait and see...
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Airsporter1st

Post by Airsporter1st »

reohn2 wrote:
Airsporter1st wrote:
reohn2 wrote:The problem in this case is as been posted,the cyclist left the scene and its for that,that it's hit the headlines with a negative storyline for the cyclist.
If he'd remained at the scene(and the bike was legal)from what I can see he's no case to answer.
But for leaving the scene he should be hammered.

Yeah right!
In the video there's a chap talking to him as he walks,carrying his bike,toward the camera,I'm assuming he's trying to persuade him not to leave the scene,though I could be wrong.

Different people behave differently when in shock. Running away from the cause is just one way that someone in shock might respond.
Last edited by Airsporter1st on 31 Aug 2018, 5:46pm, edited 1 time in total.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

mjr wrote:
reohn2 wrote:In the video there's a chap talking to him as he walks,carrying his bike,toward the camera,I'm assuming he's trying to persuade him not to leave the scene,though I could be wrong.

Why assume that? It seems as reasonable to guess that he's screaming in the cyclist's ear "Now you've done it, now you've done it! You're going to jail like that other scum who killed Kim Briggs!" given the bile in the tabloids like the Sun and Mail about cycling. Let's wait and see...

Which is most likely?
Watching the video he doesnt seem to be screaming at the cyclist as he's leaving the scene of an accident YVOV's from mine.
Last edited by reohn2 on 31 Aug 2018, 10:01pm, edited 1 time in total.
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Airsporter1st wrote:
reohn2 wrote:
Airsporter1st wrote:

Yeah right!

Different people behave differently when in shock.

Escape seems to be this person's behaviour :?
W H Auden