Woman struck by hit-and-run cyclist in Dalston dies - BBC

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
hemo

Lady pedestrian fighting for life following ebike hit and run

Post by hemo »

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/ ... 21976.html

It appears ebiker may have run a red alight very seriously injuring/ causing life threatening in jury to a pedestrian.
mjr

Re: Lady pedestrian fighting for life following ebike hit and run

Post by mjr »

the bike being abandoned nearby suggests strongly it may have been stolen. E-bikes surely have several parts on which are serial-numbered and might be traced to the owner, so I hope for their sake that they reported it stolen promptly (before the collision). I also wonder whether it had been derestricted, basically turning it into an illegal electric motorcycle, and so a thief stole more than they expected, which could have contributed to the collision. Time will tell.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
toontra

Post by toontra »

Hope the lady makes a full recovery.

Ordinary cyclists are going to come in for another stream of abuse because of utter ********* like this guy. I hope he is found and dealt with very harshly.

As a sidenote, I've witnessed the worst cycling around Kingsland High Road, including a **** going through reds at the major junction with Balls Pond Road at full speed, one-handed whilst chatting on his mobile with the other hand. He didn't even look sideways to see if there was any oncoming traffic :roll:
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

toontra wrote:As a sidenote, I've witnessed the worst cycling around Kingsland High Road, including a t**t going through reds at the major junction with Balls Pond Road at full speed, one-handed whilst chatting on his mobile with the other hand. He didn't even look sideways to see if there was any oncoming traffic :roll:

It's not just reds, amazing how many people (motorists and cyclists) don't seem to understand what "GREEN means you may go on if the way is clear" actually means.

What's even funnier is how many put videos up on YouTube berating the pedestrians that are crossing whilst weaving between them.
NickWi

Post by NickWi »

Does the fact the perpetrator was riding an e-bike actually make any difference? You never hear the press say the driver of a Diesel car etc etc. It's just a case of the press looking for a click bait/sensational angle.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

NickWi wrote:Does the fact the perpetrator was riding an e-bike actually make any difference? You never hear the press say the driver of a Diesel car etc etc. It's just a case of the press looking for a click bait/sensational angle.

Of course not. You're only allowed to run people over in a car.

Bicycles, ebikes, skateboards even jogging are all a bit of a no no and deserve righteous condemnation from the general public.

What really narks me is that not far from here a guy in a van pulled up onto the pavement to park and killed a 4 year old girl who was on the pavement with her mother and where was the fuss? The outrage?
None, because it was a guy in a motor vehicle doing what motor vehicles do all the time despite being against the law.
No new laws were passed, no crackdown on pavement parking occurred, it wasn't even 'shared' on Facebook.

I hope the guy is caught and punished (if appropriate) but I also think its about time the rest was sorted too.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Hope to goodness she's alright but it reads like she's badly injured... my fear (as a very happy user of an electric bike and habitual stopper-at-red-lights) is the inevitable & growing knee-jerk reaction, both from the public and the press, against e-bikes & their users. The article in The Guardian, linked below, contains a lot on e-bikes in general, while it's very unclear at this stage how relevant is the fact that the rider was using an e-bike at the time.
Without wishing to speculate, (I'm not a lawyer & I wasn't there!) I wouldn't mind betting that any criminal acts that may or may not have taken place, are already covered under existing law. Although I have concerns that e-bikes and their potential to reach higher speeds than unassisted machines may have consequences for the future, we need to be measured about the topic. Most of the articles concerning e-bikes in the press that I've read have already hinted at changes in the law being "necessary" - today's article in the Guardian hints at this, but is mild compared with the sort of stuff you can imagine popping up in the red tops.
Behaviour like running red lights, and using a phone while riding surely involve high levels of risk and are entirely separate from riding an e-bike...
(https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... an-injured)
EDIT: man arrested...
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
hemo

Post by hemo »

Man now arrested after handing himself in following police releasing a photo of him.

Charge I believe is causing bodily injury by furious driving.

He didn't help his cause by leaving the scene with no thought of the injured ladies welfare.

My thoughts are with the lady with the hope and good will that she can make a full recovery.
softlips

Post by softlips »

It’s very sad that this lady was injured but that doesn’t mean a knee jerk response governing ebikes is introduced. But you can see it coming.

Motorised scooters have caused more accidents (including deaths). Existing laws can, and should, be used for both.
gaz

Post by gaz »

CCTV footage has emerged :| . Sorry about the link source.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/7136632/c ... ike-crash/
NickWi

Post by NickWi »

Okay, having watched the video I can see the following points.

1. The pedestrian crossing lights are on Green. You can’t see the RH lights but you can see the ones on the LH side of the road.
2. The road conditions appear to be clear with good visibility and the e-bike rider appears to be riding in the middle of the road so ought to have been visible.
3. The pedestrian appears pause for a second to ascertain the traffic conditions but either does not see the cyclist, misreads his speed or decides to chance it.
4. The pedestrian appears to try to chance it and attempts to run across the crossing. It does not look like she is looking in the direction of the cyclist (or in the other direction) and by running she both reduces her peripheral vision and time to react.
5. The first cyclist can clearly be seen pedalling, the e-bike ride not. This could mean he was coasting or that he was riding using a throttle.
6. The e-bike rider seems to be going quite fast compared the first cyclist.
7. The e-bike rider does not appear to attempt to manoeuvre or even brake before the collision.
8. You can’t rely on witnesses. To quote from the Sun:- “Caleb Graba, 30, whose office is located next to the where the crash happened, said: “Two cyclists were trying to dodge her but one hit her at the crossing.” Which is clearly not the case.
9. Regardless of what happened the bloke is nob for running away and leaving the scene.

The pedestrian failed on several counts and whilst there is always a responsibility of a road user (car, e-bike or other) to be aware and act accordingly, on the face of it the e-bike rider does not seem to be the main perpetrator of the incident. Lastly how about this as an alternative headline.

“Pedestrian fails to use expensively installed crossing correctly leaving a cyclist with a damaged bike, severe Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder and both the Police and NHS picking up a large bill. New laws called for to bring pedestrian in line with other motorist.”

No, I don’t think it’ll happen either. Just blame the cyclist, it’s easier.
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

gaz wrote:CCTV footage has emerged :| . Sorry about the link source.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/7136632/c ... ike-crash/

Thanks: pedestrian crosses road against crossing signal into the path of a cyclist: both fail to avoid a collision. Was the cyclist going that fast? Agree that leaving the scene was the obvious crime, but it will be interesting to see if the investigation checks the e-bike against current (sorry) regulations....
"42"
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

The problem in this case is as been posted,the cyclist left the scene and its for that,that it's hit the headlines with a negative storyline for the cyclist.
If he'd remained at the scene(and the bike was legal)from what I can see he's no case to answer.
But for leaving the scene he should be hammered.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Airsporter1st

Post by Airsporter1st »

reohn2 wrote:The problem in this case is as been posted,the cyclist left the scene and its for that,that it's hit the headlines with a negative storyline for the cyclist.
If he'd remained at the scene(and the bike was legal)from what I can see he's no case to answer.
But for leaving the scene he should be hammered.

Not defending him, but he may actually have been in shock.
NickWi

Post by NickWi »

squeaker wrote:. Was the cyclist going that fast?

I think we need to be careful when talking about the whole speed question. Although the ebike rider is travelling faster than the first cyclist, his speed doesn’t appear to be excessive for what are good clear conditions. I don't know what his speed was doing (a simple time & distance study will determine that), but for sake of arguement lets say he was doing 20mph. If the boot was on the other foot and this was a car driver we were talking about, you can already hear them saying “Cor Blimey Gov, I couldn’t have driven any slower without stopping”