OS bagging

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Lance Dopestrong

OS bagging

Post by Lance Dopestrong »

Unashamadly stolen from another cycling forum, where it has proven to be very successful.

You've all doubtless heard of Trig Points and know what they are? There's a thriving hobby among walkers, but also cyclists too, of trying to 'bag' (ie, visit) as many as possible.

What you may not know that there there are other OS points related to these, many of which are right under our noses. To signify local height above MSL the OS installed a number of flush brackets and benchmarks on major buildings, bridges, pillars etc. Thre were several campaigns in which these were done, starting in the 1800's and the latest well into the 20th century.

They look like this:

Benchmark.

Benchmark.jpg

And flush bracket.

Flush bracket.jpg
Flush bracket.jpg (10.76 KiB) Viewed 3033 times

You can pretty much gaurantee there will be one not far for you, and once you've 'bagged' a few you'll find that seeking them out becomes strangely addictive. It's a good excuse for a bike ride.

This site gives you an idea of whats about, but there are hundreds, perhaps thousands, that aren't on the database:

https://www.bench-marks.org.uk/

So I propose that we get out on our bikes and start exploring, that we seek these out and report back here with your progress.
Last edited by Lance Dopestrong on 13 Sep 2018, 2:48pm, edited 1 time in total.
MIAS L5.1 instructor - advanded road and off road skills, FAST aid and casualty care, defensive tactics, SAR skills, nav, group riding, maintenance, ride and group leader qual'd.
Cytec 2 - exponent of hammer applied brute force.
Cyril Haearn

Re: OS bagging

Post by Cyril Haearn »

For today we have naming of parts, sorry, benchmarks

I bet they are disappearing, slowly
Last edited by Cyril Haearn on 13 Sep 2018, 7:58pm, edited 1 time in total.
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Lance Dopestrong

They do seem to be. As buildings get demolished, extended or renovated the marks get erased. Some simply weather away where they are on sandstone etc. A couple have lived again - occasionally where stone is reused they have ended up on new buildings, occasionally even upside down.

I'm planning a ride on Sunday, a bit of a tour to bag a few at some spots a few villages along from Chez Dopestrong.
MIAS L5.1 instructor - advanded road and off road skills, FAST aid and casualty care, defensive tactics, SAR skills, nav, group riding, maintenance, ride and group leader qual'd.
Bez

Post by Bez »

Lance Dopestrong wrote:report back here with out progress.

That's my kind of challenge :)
Lance Dopestrong

Heh Heh! :lol: I've no feeling in two fingers so my topping sin't the bost.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Mick F. Cornwall
Lance Dopestrong

Good skills, that's exactly the kind of thing. However, I'm proposing that we (or those that fancy it) get on our bikes to go looking for them. Think of it as making an excuse to go for a ride, with a desire to explore and discover a little bit of our heritage.
steady eddy

Post by steady eddy »

There one on the Old Chapel on the Hills in Reedham (Norfolk) if anybody is looking. I seem to recall that it is at the dizzying height of 11m above od Possibly the highest point in the village.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Lance Dopestrong wrote:They do seem to be. As buildings get demolished, extended or renovated the marks get erased. Some simply weather away where they are on sandstone etc. A couple have lived again - occasionally where stone is reused they have ended up on new buildings, occasionally even upside down.

I'm planning a ride on Sunday, a bit of a tour to bag a few at some spots a few villages along from Chez Dopestrong.

Just like Adrians Wall, lots of stones were taken from it, surprising that so much is still there
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Si

Post by Si »

They are disappearing because gps is so much easier. Something that you woukd agree with if you'd ever done transects down miles of country lanes with a dumpy level to set a tbm on site.....and then been told to work all the way back to the bench mark only to find it half a metre out :lol:

But bench mark chasing as a theme for a ride sounds a fine idea.
Lance Dopestrong

Si wrote:
But bench mark chasing as a theme for a ride sounds a fine idea.

That's the spirit :D Once you're into it it's strangely addictive.
martin biggs

Post by martin biggs »

Here's one from a walk around Harpole that we found on the Church whilst we walked around the village scarecrow festival last weekend .

IMG_20180909_134327404.jpg
meic

Post by meic »

I mentioned these to my daughter last week when we were sheltering behind a trig point to have a cup of tea.
I promised to point it out next time we came across one but warned it may take a few years to happen.
Thanks to that link I now know there is supposed to be one of each at a not too distant pub that we frequently pass.
Yma o Hyd
martin biggs

Post by martin biggs »

Found this benchmark in Harrold this morning

IMG_20180915_065843753.jpg

It's a quaint village with some fine old buildings like this bandstand on the village green.

IMG_20180915_065611853.jpg
Lance Dopestrong

Nice work Martin. I hope to have a few to add to this tomorrow ;)