When a younger guy challenges you at the lights ...

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
The utility cyclist

When a younger guy challenges you at the lights ...

Post by The utility cyclist »

I was popping to tesco to grab a loaf and some doughnuts this evening on my hybrid drop conversion, I saw him pass in front of me at the junction about 100m ahead going quite quickly, followed in same direction around the estate but he was unlucky at the loop road junction so came alongside and exchanged a word about being quicker the long way round. He's adorned in the usual racer garb plus blazing red beacon (no front) despite being 30mins before lights up and it's one of those double flash and then a blinding flash for good measure. :roll:

Off he goes, his position seems a bit iffy and he's looking around as if to see where I am but I''m in no rush so just let him ride off.
Catch him again at the next set of lights, he's next the kerb so I think he's turning left as it's a two laner, I'm primary behind a car going straight on and he says "come on then", I just smile, I'm already in the big ring, it's a 2-3% down gradient for about 400 yards before levelling out to barely off level but there's a big bump right across the road that can easily destabilise you at speed.

I thought, okay, put in a big effort but don't get out the saddle as god forbid it looks like I'm really trying :lol: next set of lights I'm turning off so hand signal just coming through the ped refuge for the filter, expecting him to be right on my tail.
Nope, he's about 4-5 seconds back, dropped him in less than 1/3mile, I called out to have a good ride as he sailed through the lights, he said nothing in return 8)
I suppose because I'm still a pup at 49 there's just enough testosterone kicking around for a challenge now and again but like to think I'm also old/wise enough to accept there are ALWAYS faster people on bikes, (I'm not that fast in any case) of any age on any type of bike and I can't take it seriously so I'm absolutely not bothered if I get blown away big time but actually challenging someone at the lights, never had that before but what can you do?

Do you ignore it, do you immediately size up the 'opposition' and zip up/tighten your clips and make sure you're in the right gear to get a smart getaway, do you go absolutely hell for leather hoping they won't pass or do you play the cool wizened type and sit on and then gas them at the end?

Anyway 1-0 :lol: :lol:
Last edited by The utility cyclist on 14 Sep 2018, 1:42pm, edited 1 time in total.
eileithyia

Re: When a younger guy challenges you at the lights ...

Post by eileithyia »

Boys will be boys :lol:
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
JamesE

Post by JamesE »

Openly challenging someone at the lights? Good heavens no. By far the most important rule of Silly Commuter Racing is that win or lose (and I've had my share of both), you studiously pretend not to be playing...
The utility cyclist

eileithyia wrote:Boys will be boys :lol:

It's a biological thing innit 8)
I couldn't grasp why though, double panniered up in my walking shorts and not very aero softshell walking/leisure jacket (proper southern softie nowadays :cry: ) Is that the type of person you would be aiming at to egg on to a sprint from the lights :?

That'll learn him!
The utility cyclist

JamesE wrote:Openly challenging someone at the lights? Good heavens no. By far the most important rule of Silly Commuter Racing is that win or lose (and I've had my share of both), you studiously pretend not to be playing...

As I thought, unspoken and it's trying to seem like you're hardly putting the effort in but are totally on the rivet as you come past at .25mph faster :lol:
Some people take it that when you pass them, coincidentally or otherwise that you've laid down a challenge to take up, if someone passes me I can't even be bothered to take a short draft. I have recaught on occasion but that's usually down to them having gone all in than me doing anything different.
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

Let them go ahead and shield me from the wind, saves energy! (at 68 its useful)
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
Lance Dopestrong

Post by Lance Dopestrong »

Alas, I'd have let him go. I'm to big, tall and heavy to have much hope.

But that's not to say fun can't be had. When out on the road, particularly during the warmer weather, keep your eyes peeled for the Power Rangers. If you're lucky you'll spot them coming up behind.as they close gently increase your speed, so when they're within the final 100 metres you're matching them. They'll already have been riding hard, even harder in their attempt to try and catch you, and being unable to catch you is incredibly dispiriting for them ;)
MIAS L5.1 instructor - advanded road and off road skills, FAST aid and casualty care, defensive tactics, SAR skills, nav, group riding, maintenance, ride and group leader qual'd.
Cytec 2 - exponent of hammer applied brute force.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Touring in Devon, leaving a small town slight uphill and weighed down with our panniers we were easily overtaken by a young lad. We were riding single file due to nature of the road. Road went slightly downhill for a mile so after that we quickly gained ground on aforementioned lad until we were lined out behind him. Rider behind me called to rider in front of me (we were 3 in number) 'Go on pass him' So we all moved out and as the 1st rider came alongside him, he looked over his should with such a shocked look on his face and sprinted off.... shortly afterwards road turned sharpish left with a road into an estate off to the right.... as we passed the junction young lad was virtually stopped, gasping for breath and grabbing for his gears... We all cheered as we carried on by.... :lol: :lol:
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Lance Dopestrong wrote:Alas, I'd have let him go. I'm to big, tall and heavy to have much hope.

But that's not to say fun can't be had. When out on the road, particularly during the warmer weather, keep your eyes peeled for the Power Rangers. If you're lucky you'll spot them coming up behind.as they close gently increase your speed, so when they're within the final 100 metres you're matching them. They'll already have been riding hard, even harder in their attempt to try and catch you, and being unable to catch you is incredibly dispiriting for them ;)

Evil! :D

I've met your type. I'm not a power ranger myself as I just ride but I sometimes think I need motivation since pootling along at low effort doesn't keep you that fit. A bit of effort is needed sometimes to get motivated and a distant rider I'm gaining on at my pootling speed someone's triggers a speed increase and I use them as motivation to speed up. Occasionally I've reached out passed them and found out that I only did that because they can't climb and on the downhill and flat they're actually faster and blow me away.

I have encountered your type too. I guy I used to see on my commute would speed up when anyone got on his tail intending to overtake. A yoyo ride between us then happens. I'm going at my pace and he's sprinting away only to slow and be caught. It's like of disheartening but tbh I know he's not faster than me just playing his own games that I'm not involved in. I'm not fast by any stretch but I do know when I've got more that another rider to give.

As to the op and the lady who said "boys will be boys". Well that may be true but some ride for themselves and have no interest in giving others their fun. By that I mean I ride and enjoy it as a solo act or with my family / friends. I don't race for fun I ride for pleasure. Race a stranger? Doesn't interest me. I don't race but I use some riders as pacers only.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

ON recumbents it is usually fun, just wind it up, get in front then resume your normal slow pace. and ride deliberately slowly...... winds them up
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

JamesE wrote:Openly challenging someone at the lights? Good heavens no. By far the most important rule of Silly Commuter Racing is that win or lose (and I've had my share of both), you studiously pretend not to be playing...

+ 1. Precisely what I did when passing the time trialists two weekends ago, when on my heavy, weekend bike. One actually passed me on the flat, but couldn't cope with the hills, allowing me to move to the front!
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

rmurphy195 wrote:Let them go ahead and shield me from the wind, saves energy! (at 68 its useful)

That's the one for me: get on their wheel and stay there. The only exception to this is if it's wet and they have no mudguards. I did once surprise somebody by drawing alongside and saying he should get some fitted, but that was in the days when I was fit enough to leave somebody like that behind.
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

I was (almost ) joined by someone coming out of a T juction recently. All 'carboned up' so I expected them to easily catch me. I didn't put in any extra effort, but after 1/2 mile he hadn't caught . I then decided I'd be the hare, and put in some effort and he never did get me in the next 3 miles!
Last year I (eventually) caught a cyclist after chasing hard for a couple of miles, and found he was riding an e-bike. :lol:
I'm 59, but still think I'm 25. Not been openly challenged (though not many traffic lights around here)
Last edited by fastpedaller on 14 Sep 2018, 10:19pm, edited 1 time in total.
Si

Post by Si »

I have to say that I don't think I've ever had any one formally challenge me at the lights, and if they did I'd just laugh at them and continue pootling.

But what I do get, which I find really strange, is people that come from some way back, over take you at speed and then 100yds down the road slowdown to slightly less than what you were doing as a constant speed. What's that all about then? It's not that they want to ride with me and have a chat as they fly past saying nothing. Anyway it leaves me to either 1/slow down from my ideal speed and stay behind which is annoying, 2/ pull up along side them and start to chat - which they don't seem to want to do, 3/ or over take them which might make it look like I was trying to race so they then come past me again and slow down again.
random37

Post by random37 »

I used to ride with someone who was a bike messenger.

Riding with him was like being tied to a post.

I do remember, though, once going for a ride with him on our way to the pub, when some lycra clad muppet geezer shot past us going up a hill. We decided to catch up. I was keen and strong, and I had to really push to keep up. My mate, who was wearing jeans and riding an old mountain bike overtook him.

With his hands behind his back.

While whistling.

Did I say he was quite good?