Gone back to upright for commuting...

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Tangled Metal

Gone back to upright for commuting...

Post by Tangled Metal »

Got my upright fettled so have gone back to it for my commute. Better for the upcoming seasons. I'm 3-4mph faster and that's at a lower average heart rate which matches the easier feel. It also felt a lot lighter which it was by probably 5kg.

The other thing I noticed was the pannier weight made it feel like the bike was leaning badly. A HPV Streetmachine GT handles a pannier on the mid rack like it's not there. An upright does not.

Anyone else change commuting bikes and noticed a huge difference in how it felt?

It makes me wonder if I got a lighter bike without rack, used a rucksack whether I'd feel it even more? That easier to ride feeling.
whoof

Re: Gone back to upright for commuting...

Post by whoof »

Tangled Metal wrote:Got my upright fettled so have gone back to it for my commute. Better for the upcoming seasons. I'm 3-4mph faster and that's at a lower average heart rate which matches the easier feel. It also felt a lot lighter which it was by probably 5kg.

The other thing I noticed was the pannier weight made it feel like the bike was leaning badly. A HPV Streetmachine GT handles a pannier on the mid rack like it's not there. An upright does not.

Anyone else change commuting bikes and noticed a huge difference in how it felt?

It makes me wonder if I got a lighter bike without rack, used a rucksack whether I'd feel it even more? That easier to ride feeling.

I commute and tour with a single pannier and if I haven't ridden like this for a while I notice it for about the first 50 metres. Beyond this it just feels like riding with luggage.

If you feel the difference in handling with a pannier a little off-set from the centre line you may also feel the difference with a bag carried higher up, especially when banking.

The easiest thing to do is put on a racksack, ride to work and see how it feels. I certainly wouldn't prefer it over a single paniier but you might.
Alternatively you could try a rack top bag, two equally filled small rear panniers or a saddle bag.
Si

Post by Si »

I used to commute on a Fred Williams Light Weight Special. Until it started falling apart on all the rubbish roads and paths. Now use a heavy Rayleigh hybred. Commuting is not longer a sprint, it's a slog...but at least the bike mostly stays in one piece.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Tangled Metal wrote:Got my upright fettled so have gone back to it for my commute. Better for the upcoming seasons. I'm 3-4mph faster and that's at a lower average heart rate which matches the easier feel. It also felt a lot lighter which it was by probably 5kg.

Why not use a saddlebag? Central and keeps the weight on the bike not on you.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

It's more that with a two week tour on my recumbent and a spell of commuting before and after, I got used to the stable loading of the recumbent. It's back to the upright and the pannier was nearly full. It doesn't take long to forget about it but boy was it noticeable.

Plus you forget that a touring recumbent is a heavy beast to start off with.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

pete75 wrote:

Why not use a saddlebag? Central and keeps the weight on the bike not on you.

More expense.